The price of being U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: Re: The price of being U2?

U2DMfan said:
Who is making universally accepted albums these days?

seriously

i bet there were people that hated boy/october/war/the unforgettable fire too

you just didnt hear about it as much because u2 werent so huge

threads like this make me laugh

u2 are mega millionaires, have houses all over the world, play sold out arenas and stadiums, have won tons of gramys, have been inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame....

you think they give a rats ass about some fans on a messageboard who prefer one era or album to another?

such a price they have to pay, i feel so sorry for them

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The price of being U2?

Chizip said:

seriously

u2 are mega millionaires, have houses all over the world, play sold out arenas and stadiums, have won tons of gramys, have been inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame....

you think they give a rats ass about some fans on a messageboard who prefer one era or album to another?

I agree also with Chizip.
I think this thread is getting a little on the silly side! Bono stated in the interveiw he accepts this kind of crititism, why are some of you guys getting your knickers in a knot over this!

doubleU said:
No matter what type of album U2 makes next time around, it will get flamed in here.

Here's my theory. Once U2 made Joshua Tree they put themselves in a corner. Any time you create a masterpiece all aftermaths are even more critically judged.

There may have been a small backlash from War to UF but nothing to really make the radar.

But once JT was made, every step they made was judged harshly.

This board is very much divided. It's almost as if loving U2 during every incarnation is frowned upon.

The backlash they are receiving from fans about the 00's is very similar to the backlash they received during the 90's.

I predict U2 can never make a universally accepted album again.

They could make the greatest ground breaking album and some will bitch about how it's trying to keep up with trends. If they keep with the sound now, people will bitch about how they are trying to cash in on their typical sound.

It's the price of being U2.

A very unfortunately true insight into "the price of being U2".

Everybody wants them to be what they want U2 to be, instead of just allowing U2 to be what they want to be themselves.

Fortunately, I have been one of those who have never judged U2 - even while, at times, I didn't understand the direction they were going, U2 always ended up in the right place for them to be.

Live and let live. :yes:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The price of being U2?

fly so high! said:

why are some of you guys getting your knickers in a knot over this!

That wasn't the point of this thread.

Chizip said:

seriously

I think you miss the point. It wasn't oh, feel sorry for U2.

And it also it wasn't that there wasn't any criticism of any albums pre JT.

The point was that post JT seemed to be the point where sharp division between fans and critics alike started.

And that in here especially, if you don't choose sides in these divisions something is wrong with you.

And that in here especially, if you don't choose sides in these divisions something is wrong with you. [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry, i stuffed the above quote, the above was written by DoubleU.

I'm not sure if i understand you, are you asking if some of us in here are critics or fans? Is that what you mean by choosing sides, because if it is , I'm a fan!!!:wink:

I have to say that The Joshua Tree has never been one of my favourites and don't consider it a "masterpiece" as such, but definately and major milestone in their career, and a "classic album" as it's been termed.
Whereas Achtung Baby....:drool: :drool: :drool:

ozeeko said:

Yeah, and Rattle And Hum wasn't critically accepted (i like the album though). A lot of people in the media saw U2 as being too self-important and that distorted their view of the music. Even Larry Mullen at that time said he was sick of being the biggest in the world and being something like the U2 jukebox pumping out hit after hit everynight. So they changed their approach. It worked (AB). With HTDAAB Bono was stating all different variations on the "biggest band on the planet" theme, and even had the audacity to call their upcoming album a hard rock affair driven by a guitarist who's sick of seeing his lead singer with dodgy politicians. The album came out, was not even close to what Bono said it was all about, and then on the DVD you get Bono saying "This is our first record." Yeah the first record I've ever loathed. Point being: when you make promises that reveal themselves to be empty, and you intentionally deceive fans that are eagerly awaiting an entirely different album, you are going to disappoint people. And when you make absurd comments like "this is our greatest album. These are our greatest songs" you will undoubtedly offend people who fail to believe the hype.

The point here is that there has been a group of fans or people in the general public that have said that about every U2 album released since the Joshua Tree.

Chizip said:

seriously

The band was so underground and unknown to most people back in the early days, that most people who did not like what they heard would simply move on to something else, and most likely would not think about it again. The fan base back then was tiny, but very devoted. I've never heard of any fans deciding not to go see U2 on the UF tour because they do not like the Unforgettable Fire. The bands concert drawing strength from WAR to the Unforgettable Fire jumped by a factor of 10, album sales doubled. Then there was the Joshua Tree which put U2 at the top of the mountain of the music world. The first backlash by fans and the general public happened with Rattle And Hum, and there has been an element of criticism and backlash for every U2 album since then, that was not present prior to Rattle And Hum.

Re: Re: The price of being U2?

fly so high! said:

I'm not sure if i understand you, are you asking if some of us in here are critics or fans? Is that what you mean by choosing sides, because if it is , I'm a fan!!!:wink:

:huh:

No. I'm saying I've seen people slagged for liking both Pop and HTDAAB. It's like you have to be in one camp or the other.

Re: Re: Re: The price of being U2?

doubleU said:

:huh:

No. I'm saying I've seen people slagged for liking both Pop and HTDAAB. It's like you have to be in one camp or the other.

i dunno about that. there are a lot of people that like both pop and the bomb.

im one of them

liking pop and atyclb, now thats just crazy talk

Make a film or an apple pie, same effect.

Some people will like it, some won't.

There isn't any tangible theory about this concerning U2.
People aren't digging the 'new' U2 for dozens of reasons just like all those religous kids in 1983 were wondering what happened when U2 went 'secular' with War. Nothing there to get excited about. People are trying to invent ways to apolgize for the dissent, is this the Republican forum or what? We all don't just "abide".

Back
Top Bottom