The Popmart version of 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' is really one of the best things ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:up:

You know a song is great when it can be completely stripped down and still keep that greatness.

Edge should do a solo tour, all your favorite U2 hits, peformed by just the Edge :drool:

Galeongirl said:

Can he pleeaaaasse do Daydream believer too? or Singing in the rain?? :sad:

Speaking of "Daydream Believer," didn't U2 used to check into hotels early in their career under the names of the Monkees...Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, Peter Tork and Michael Nesmith?

I thought I remember reading that somewhere, and then after the big Monkees resurgence in 1986 they had to stop doing that.

Anyone else remember that?

I guess it gave Bono some time to change into some other outfit and Larry could rest his wrists

otherwise it has nothing on the full band version

Can't disagree more, don't like that version at all. It made it even worse that they replaced it with the magnificent live version of Miami.

My favourite version of that song, much better than Miami or the stupid Edge karaoke thing.

I wasn't much a fan of Edge's karaoke. I can see how it would've been fun and fitted in with the theme of the tour, but I'm one of those people who thinks U2 should stick to playing their own songs - or if they're going to do covers, play it properly rather than some karaoke version!

In contrast, Edge's SBS is simply amazing. It's such a dramatic reinvention and it works. I adore Edge's voice and think he should sing lead more often, and the way he plays SBS brings out attributes of the song that had been hidden by the raw aggression of earlier performances.

Frankly, they should have left SBS on Popmart. It's been too much of a lazy walk in the park ever since, especially on Elevation.

Although I will always prefer the full-band version of SBS, it is very interesting to compare the two takes on this song. Just for fun, plug in the UABRS video and watch them take that song to a whole other level, with the white flag, the torches and flames atop the stage, the sheer raw power from a band that is determined to make a difference. To me, SBS on UABRS is their defining moment, as this was played incessantly on MTV and made, no, DEMANDED that people take notice.

So watch that one, then watch SBS on Popmart. Stripped down, Edge and his guitar standing all alone in that huge stadium in front of thousands of fans. Listen to the guitar, the lyrics, the melody, and it will hit you like a ton of bricks when you realize just how beautiful this song actually is. Then the crowd singing along with Edge just makes it even better.

If you do this it will no doubt prove once again how good U2 is at songwriting, hearing these two versions juxtaposed and realizing one is the quintessential rock anthem, but stripped of all its power it turns into a superb ballad making a plea for peace and a hopeful future. "Tonight, we can be as one." Indeed.

Back
Top Bottom