The Pedestal We've Put Them On.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonosSaint

Rock n' Roll Doggie
It's time we let them walk off the pedestal we've put them on (and perhaps the pedestal they've put themselves on.)

Maybe there was a connection. Maybe there still is one. Certainly they feed off the energy in a concert hall and give the audience energy back. Their music is incredible, personal--it gives the illusion we know them. We don't. And they knew even less of us. We've become an inseparable crowd to them.

I think they are grateful to us in the abstract. But they don't know jacksquat about us except that we love them. I'm sure that love is intoxicating for a while. But like anything, they don't need it as much as they used to. And you don't value what you don't need. And you don't really respect what you don't value.

They are flawed. We were hungry for perfection, absolute love. We are not going to get it. I wish we could expect it, but we can't. These threads aren't about Ticketmaster. They are about a rethinking of the relationship between audience and band. They live in a world we can never understand and we live in one they cannot. For a few brief hours, the worlds meet.

They owe us exhilerating performances and music. That's all.
We owe them appreciation for that. That's all.

Anything beyond that is an act of faith.

Well I've just seen Bono on TV speaking at the World Economic Forum in a televised discussion alongside two current African Presidents, the former President of the US, the Prime Minister of UK, and Bill Gates on the subject of making Global Poverty History.

Maybe he's a bit distracted from the tour today. But he spoke, as always, with eloquence and passion on a subject far more important than how long it takes to get a ticket to a U2 show in a football stadium.

Notable in his speech was that Bono is fed up with people coming up to him thanking him for the efforts he makes for the cause of Africa when it is an emergency and that he feels we must dramatise events there to make them more real and get them more into the public concsiousness.

paulrg said:

Notable in his speech was that Bono is fed up with people coming up to him thanking him for the efforts he makes for the cause of Africa when it is an emergency and that he feels we must dramatise events there to make them more real and get them more into the public concsiousness.

Well...it was because of him that my attention was brought to the emergency anyways and the reason I now am personally involved in "doing my part", so I'm going to thank him anyways if given the chance! :tongue:

starsgoblue said:

Well...it was because of him that my attention was brought to the emergency anyways and the reason I now am personally involved in "doing my part", so I'm going to thank him anyways if given the chance! :tongue:

Just be sure to thank him for bringing your attention to the "emergency" not the "cause"!:bono:

starsgoblue said:

:yes:
Bono opened my eyes to alot of things that I was ignorant to or dismissive of before. People like him are what turned me from a passive teenager into one that cared about what was going on around me, and I feel much better for the knowledge I now have, because it means I can act as effectively as one person can.

boystupidboy said:
Bono...stick to singing.you make me cringe when you go on about 3rd world debt blar blar blar.........
'waits for a torrent of abuse'

What are you doing to try to make the world a better place? Really, I would like to know. Do you think Bono does this because it is "fun" or "self-serving"?

You can't reap the benefits of globalization without taking the responsibilities.

Last edited:
boystupidboy said:
Bono...stick to singing.you make me cringe when you go on about 3rd world debt blar blar blar.........
'waits for a torrent of abuse'

^%&& %$"£%" **&&(ir(&£
&*&^&

>?^&£%"

&£(*"*(&$*&"^

*"£&^$&*&&**&**(*

(a censored torrent of abuse):rolleyes:

boystupidboy said:

If i wanted to be preached at i would put the god channel on:ohmy:

That is just an ignorant response.

Besides if you didn't want to discuss Bono's "side job" then don't post about it in a thread that is mentioning it and not expect anyone to respond to you. If you're going to take the time to post something, at least have the nuts to stand behind your words.

boystupidboy said:

i can guess what it says:|

No I don't really mean any abuse to you boystupidboy. Bono himself has stated on numerous occasions that he would likely cringe himself if he was watching himself on TV with politicians.

Why I am for it is that throughout the world TV news bulletins tonight will focus in on the topic of making Poverty History, even if only for a half-minute segment, due mainly to Bono's presence - not Gates', Clinton's, Mbeke's, Blair's or anyone elses. This is the era of unprecendented celebrity power. And if it takes the lead singer of our favourite band to get it on the news then I can suffer the cringes!

starsgoblue said:

That is just an ignorant response.

Besides if you didn't want to discuss Bono's "side job" then don't post about it in a thread that is mentioning it and not expect anyone to respond to you. If you're going to take the time to post something, at least have the nuts to stand behind your words.
AND people should'nt post a thread and not expect to have opposing views come up

Since it's a U2 forum...last I checked one was able to talk about individual members. Don't need to use caps (scream) to try to get your point across...
And Bono's not trying to be a "world saviour"...I think that's exactly the kind of comments he is fed up with hearing.

starsgoblue said:
Since it's a U2 forum...last I checked one was able to talk about individual members. Don't need to use caps (scream) to try to get your point across...
And Bono's not trying to be a "world saviour"...I think that's exactly the kind of comments he is fed up with hearing.
but that is the image that comes across,whether he likes it or not.

The reason why Bono does get a lot of publicity for his Emergency work is not purely down to his celebrity status. It is also due to his genuine knwoledge of the subject matter. Prof Sachs (see http://www.earthinstitute.columbia.edu/news/2005/images/washpost011705.pdf ) is a serious and respected economist who I've seen speak at unrelated events and who rates Bono's knowledge and passion very highly.

Another main reason why Bono is given airtime is precisely because he doesn't preach. He just talks in a clearly understandable way with passion about a subject that can become very dry and distracted from its foundations when left to the domain of politicians.

Back
Top Bottom