The Overlooked Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtomicBono

ONE love, blood, life
There are U2 songs that are classics, songs that are fan favourites, songs that inspire heated debates, songs that are hated...and then there are songs that people just don't talk about too much. This is a thread for those songs, the U2 songs that deserve some recognition as great songs. I wouldn't put, say, Miami in here, because Miami is a pretty talked-about song, love it or hate it.

Fire - the whole album October is rather overlooked, but despite the fact that it was a single I don't hear much about this song... I was listening to October last night and this song really jumped out at me. Parts of it actually remind me a lot of the Franz Ferdinand song by the same name... but this song is far superior, the end especially. After "I'm going home..." Edge's solo, and around 2:58 is paticularly beautiful.

Indian Summer Sky - I've always loved this song, it's very unique and as a kid it made me think of someone running through a jungle or something, through the darkness, and then reaching a beautiful clearing with an open sky...I'm weird, I know. I also think the lines "To lose along the way/The spark that set the flame/To flicker and to fade/On this, the longest day" were some of the best on the album. A very unique and awesome song, gives a feeling of movement.

Those are my two for now, feel free to add your own :)

Oddly enough, the first thing that comes to mind is One Step Closer. It's already the most underrated track of HTDAAB.

One Tree Hill
Twilight
Tomorrow
Like A Song
Wake Up Dead Man
Drowning Man
Walk To The Water (b-side)
Miss Sarajevo
Seconds
Starnger In A Strange Land
...to name but a few

Joshua87 said:
when i look at the world...awesome song, but i dont know who else likes is at all!

Wow, I was gonna put that, but I totally forgot!! I've always loved that song, it's rather dark and depressing which is very different for U2, and I think they pull it off very well. I feel like I can really identify with that song, it along with Wake Up Dead Man is what I like to call my "U2 emo song" :wink:

I agree about When I Look At The World and Indian Summer Sky! :up:

Also...

With A Shout
Like A Song
In God's Country....

I've always thought outside of some of the October/Boy obscurities.... The First Time would have to be the least talked about track in these parts. Even though it is on Best Of 1990-2000.

Lyrically that song is.... wow. Bono starting to hit is lyrical peak at that point.

I really love Shadows and Tall Trees, i think its a great wee album closer...

Dancin' Shoes if that can count from the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack.....its quite sexy (well i think so)

I've always felt Red Hill Mining Town doesn't get the respect it deserves.

inmyplace13 said:
I've always felt Red Hill Mining Town doesn't get the respect it deserves.

Yeah, that's true. Cos I prefer Running, In God's Country and One Tree Hill to Red Hill. :wink:

timothius said:
I've always thought outside of some of the October/Boy obscurities.... The First Time would have to be the least talked about track in these parts. Even though it is on Best Of 1990-2000.

Lyrically that song is.... wow. Bono starting to hit is lyrical peak at that point.

The First Time is amazing :yes: It's very Velvet Underground-ish. I love all their VU-like ballads :D (The First Time, One Step Closer, Miss Sarejevo, ect.)

Like A Song is rockin', one of the best from War! U2 at its most punk.

Like a Song most definately. Its sad to see so many great songs like this, including Red Hill Mining Town etc go to waste.

These two songs couldn't be performed live well enough, or couldnt come close to replicating the studio version, so they were pretty much abandoned by the band sadly.

Sken said:

These two songs couldn't be performed live well enough, or couldnt come close to replicating the studio version, so they were pretty much abandoned by the band sadly.

For the better though. I honestly think if Red Hill would've died live. Died badly.

Like A Song may have been a nice little rotation on War, but it would've been one of the worse things performed (SBS, NYD, "40", Seconds, THBAO are all clearly suprerior).

AtomicBono said:

The First Time is amazing :yes: It's very Velvet Underground-ish. I love all their VU-like ballads :D (The First Time, One Step Closer, Miss Sarejevo, ect.)

Amen.

I've always thought the line... "I spend my whole time running, he spends his running after me" is one of Bono's top 5 lyrics, if not top 3. It's just georgous.

For the better though. I honestly think if Red Hill would've died live. Died badly.
Interesting that you say that, as Red Hill was originally planned as U2's lead single for the Joshua tree, but because Bono couldnt hit those high notes continously without hurting his voice the band replaced it
I did had a live mp3 of Like A Song being peformed, and the band didnt even come lose to performing it with the intensity of the studio version, it really sounded very average which is probably why stopped playing it.

Sken said:

Interesting that you say that, as Red Hill was originally planned as U2's lead single for the Joshua tree, but because Bono couldnt hit those high notes continously without hurting his voice the band replaced it

Which is partially the reason for why it would've died. Also it really was too busy for them too perform any way. If you look back JT really was a very musically stripped back tour, difficult parts (Streets), in some occasions, but simple arrangements.

On the lead single thing, I heard a video was made and all, apparently MTV played it once, that I think may just be a rumour though.

Most of All That You Can't Leave Behind, songs like Peace on Earth, When I Look at the World, Wild Honey, Grace, Kite

timothius said:

Amen.

I've always thought the line... "I spend my whole time running, he spends his running after me" is one of Bono's top 5 lyrics, if not top 3. It's just georgous.

Indeed...beautiful. The lyrics to the whole song are quite beautiful, actually. "And I threw away the key..." :drool: I've found that the alternate version of Sometimes goes well after it :yes:

I think Red Hill is actually a little overrated on these forums, it's a brilliant song but most of JT is better - Streets, WOWY, Bullet, Running, In God's Country, Exit...all better. And I don't think it would have done nearly as well as a single.

The Ground Beneath Her Feet...I think this is one of the most beautiful songs U2 has ever written, it is in my top 5. The end especially, the way Edge's guitar weaves around Adam's bass... it's perfection. "Let me love you true, let me rescue you, I want to bring you to where two roads meet..." Simple, almost cliche, but in this song they work beautifully. I could not gush enough about this song :love:

Joshua87 said:
when i look at the world...awesome song, but i dont know who else likes is at all!

i LOVE this song.

i also really love in god's country, the first time, dirty day, a sort of homecoming, wild honey...

At times I have considered The First Time to be my favorite U2 song.

Lots of the songs that have been mentioned I feel are not apprieciated as much off this board and by non-hardcores, but are definately faves of people here, myself included. (Drowning Man, Tomorrow, Wire, etc.)

When it comes to songs even huge fans forget about, I gotta mentione the soft spot I've always had for "Another Time, Another Place." I'm not sure what I like about it, exactly maybe it's the part when Bono suddenly starts singing in a different language that I can't quite place. :wink:

Definitely what's been said so far :yes:

When I Look at the World (one of the best tracks off ATYCLB)
In God's Country
The First Time
One Step Closer
Red Hill Mining Town

:drool: Such amazing songs.

Lemonfix said:
When it comes to songs even huge fans forget about, I gotta mentione the soft spot I've always had for "Another Time, Another Place." I'm not sure what I like about it, exactly maybe it's the part when Bono suddenly starts singing in a different language that I can't quite place. :wink:

:yes: Absolutely! I love that song.

Lemonfix said:

Agreed, I love that song! It would rock if they brought that one back live :rockon:

LIKE A SONG... :rockon:
A SORT OF HOMECOMING :bow:
INDIAN SUMMER SKY
IN GOD'S COUNTRY :drool:
ONE TREE HILL :bow: * infinity
HEARTLAND :bow: * infinity ^2
GOD PART II
HAWKMOON 269
ZOOROPA
DIRTY DAY
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»WAKE UP DEAD MAN :bow: * infinity ^ 3
WHEN I LOOK AT THE WORLD :drool:
ONE STEP CLOSER
YAHWEH

maybe talk more and better about these great songs and talk in a little less orgasmic way of Achtung. Great album but surely overrated here.

And also talk a bit less of Lemon's, Pride's and other highly overrated songs :madspit:

Back
Top Bottom