The original Original of the Species

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADecentMelody

War Child
Remember when this was "leaked out" after the Elevation tours during an episode of 60 Minutes:

http://s61..com/d.aspx?id=3RZ4VHZU55IQX1O5S9BHQ5QMM6

After so many listens of the current Original of the Species, I think I still prefer this older version. It's weird because we're only allowed two lines from the chorus, yet I think it's superior to the current version. I think The Edge's guitar stands out more and is actually better. To top it off, I love the slight difference in Bono's melody. I would like this version released in full as a demo version or something.

I also believe this version highlights the Beatlesque-ness of this song (there was a thread that asked how OotS sounds like a Beatles song).

:reminscing about pre-HTDAAB leakage: :hmm:

LMBLover said:
Is this the version that also appears on the album? If so I agree:)
No, it seems to be an earlier mix. The guitar is a lot more forward in the mix and plays a different melody.

Sounds like it could have been promisiing in that form. Another of those U2 songs where fans will continue to debate whether subsequent mixes improved or over-produced the song.

Hey, guys, I found five seconds of an early version of "Mercy"! It sounds even crappier than the full version! You guys'd love it!

Last edited:
david said:
You only like it because you heard the album version 9000 times.

Mmm, not quite. I remember having been a bit disappointed when I first heard the album version. I was hoping it was as clean and straightforward as the clip. The album version came off as overproduced when I first heard it. I actually don't mind it much now, but yes the "o" word came to mind.

ADecentMelody said:
Remember when this was "leaked out" after the Elevation tours during an episode of 60 Minutes:

http://s61..com/d.aspx?id=3RZ4VHZU55IQX1O5S9BHQ5QMM6

After so many listens of the current Original of the Species, I think I still prefer this older version. It's weird because we're only allowed two lines from the chorus, yet I think it's superior to the current version. I think The Edge's guitar stands out more and is actually better. To top it off, I love the slight difference in Bono's melody. I would like this version released in full as a demo version or something.

I also believe this version highlights the Beatlesque-ness of this song (there was a thread that asked how OotS sounds like a Beatles song).

:reminscing about pre-HTDAAB leakage: :hmm:

Can you post it again please? The link seems the be expired.

Thx.

How different is this really? There are two Bono's singing---one on the cd in his car, and one being Bono in his car with the reporter. The one on the cd sounds pretty much like the final recording, and it's the one who's live with the reporter who makes the vocals sound a little different. As for the guitar, it sounds like it's the same to me, just a little distorted since it's comign from cd player to air to camera to mp3, all with Bono's & the reporter's voices over top. :shrug:

typhoon said:
Hey, guys, I found five seconds of an early version of "Mercy"! It sounds even crappier than the full version! You guys'd love it!

:lol: good example

God!

You're concentrated listening to the recording, and then.... "IT'S A WORK IN PROGRESS" :yuck: yes I know!!!

Utoo said:
How different is this really? There are two Bono's singing---one on the cd in his car, and one being Bono in his car with the reporter. The one on the cd sounds pretty much like the final recording, and it's the one who's live with the reporter who makes the vocals sound a little different. As for the guitar, it sounds like it's the same to me, just a little distorted since it's comign from cd player to air to camera to mp3, all with Bono's & the reporter's voices over top. :shrug:

It's pretty different. The melody is different (very Beatlesque) and the guitar is not as processed - at most two tracks, if not one.

And he's not singing live during the interview. That's all coming from the mix.

The melody is very Beatlesque, I agree!!! Much much more than the current album or single versions! :ohmy:

Oh my, I want to listen to the full version of this demo now! :scream:

ADecentMelody said:
And he's not singing live during the interview. That's all coming from the mix.

I don't think so. You can hear another bono singing another lyrics.

Azor said:
I don't think so. You can hear another bono singing another lyrics.

That's how it's recorded, with two overlapping vocals. It's evident in the accompanying 60 Minutes video that he's not singing along. He's playing the CD to the 60 Minutes reporter.

ADecentMelody said:

That's how it's recorded, with two overlapping vocals. It's evident in the accompanying 60 Minutes video that he's not singing along. He's playing the CD to the 60 Minutes reporter.

oh well, I haven't seen the video :| sorry. I'm just saying what I hear.

Last edited:
Didn't Bono say recently that the song really morphed from the original direction they wanted to take with it, which was a lot more "Prince-pop-inspired" or something like that?

Back
Top Bottom