The one song that EVERY U2 fan loves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
vaz02 said:

First of all what would i have to gain by hating streets lol ? so why would it seem fishy.
Second , has anyone else given reasons why they dont want certain songs to be on the list ?

----------------------

I think streets should not be on the list because i hate it , hate is a strong word but its the way i feel about this track.
This song is propably the most pompus song u2 have produced and easily the most pompus song u2 fans like.

Lyrically its a great song but it screams out "LAME", come on the video was terrible , very very camp. The song song sounds like something you would find on a " Now thats what i call summer hits " album which is soo cheesy.

Its not a partiulary a exciting song either , never really hits a peak. ( unlike live )

Edges guitar is hardly rocking n rolling is it ?

Coldplay please cover this song so i can hate it more.

Btw this is one of u2's best live song ( i think ) so im not slagging it off live only studio wise and album.

-----------------------------------------------

give me ' I Still Havent Found What Im Looking For ' anyday

Echoing what maycocksean said, what's so different about the live and studio? There is one part added in the late-middle with the "love,love,love" thing, but that's really it. And the video should have NO bearing on whether it's a good song or not.

phillyfan26 said:

Echoing what maycocksean said, what's so different about the live and studio? There is one part added in the late-middle with the "love,love,love" thing, but that's really it. And the video should have NO bearing on whether it's a good song or not.

when ever i hear the song that image is in my head , I CANT GET IT OUT!!!!
IT WONT LEAVE ME !!

boring song compared to others

Well, I guess he does truly dislike it thoroughly enough for it to be off.

I don't really see what you are saying, especially the boring part. (The only boring song on that album is "Trip Through Your Wires") Where the Streets Have No Name to me is definitely an exciting song, especially the introduction. Still Haven't Found wouldn't be nearly as "exciting" as Streets.

XHendrix24 said:
Kite has always annoyed me.

It's got a good chorus, but not much else really. It's kind of lame.

By the way, this takes Kite off, right?

The Fly
11 O Clock Tick Tock
Where the Streets Have No Name

Come to think of it, we have heard 40, Streets, and 11 O'Clock bashed studio-wise, so The Fly could potentially be the one left standing in the end...

psychou2fan said:
How about One? Is there anyone that genuinely hates that song?

YES. VEHEMENTLY. It's one of U2's - or anyone's - worst songs ever.

I know liamcool and Khanada aren't keen on One either.

phillyfan26 said:

By the way, this takes Kite off, right?

The Fly
11 O Clock Tick Tock
Where the Streets Have No Name

Come to think of it, we have heard 40, Streets, and 11 O'Clock bashed studio-wise, so The Fly could potentially be the one left standing in the end...

The Fly is overrated.

"The Fly" is AWESOME! And I would be ecstatic if it was the one left standing! It's sounds so dirty and greasy and rock 'n roll and then it's saved by the (quoting from the Achtung Baby lyric sheet) "gospel voice" in the chorus. The guitar solo is f*@!ng brilliant and then it all changes and deconstructs and falls apart at the end. True rock 'n roll.

Absolutely LOVE IT!

You dislike:

Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief
All kill their inspiration and sing about their grief

:huh:

psychou2fan said:
How about One? Is there anyone that genuinely hates that song?
And what about God Part II and Heartland???

God Part II is kinda hyper hokey to me, and the video (although this isn't a video discussion, I'll still put it in here) clearly shows off why a lot of people hated U2.

How about Stay, Love Is Blindness, Acrobat, A Sort of Homecoming, Acthung Baby in general minus One (stupid haters :madwife: !)

Axver said:

I just have to say that you're nuts. One of the worst songs ever written? Have you ever listened to the radio? :huh:

I'm also surprised that someone would dislike The Fly's lyrics when they're widely regarded as some of U2's best :shrug: to each his own

Axver said:

I know liamcool and Khanada aren't keen on One either.

Do you work at Pitchforkmedia?

AtomicBono said:

I just have to say that you're nuts. One of the worst songs ever written? Have you ever listened to the radio? :huh:

The stuff on the radio can't be classified as songs in the first place. At least I'm willing to say One counts as a song. :wink:

phattom said:

Do you work at Pitchforkmedia?

No, I just think the song's junk. The lyrics are dreadful, Bono's singing is sub-standard, the instrumentation isn't that good, and the only good part of the song, the "do you hear us coming?" verse, isn't even on the studio version!

And as far as the EBTTRT, WGRYWH, and IWF suggestions go, they don't stand a chance of being on this list. If I don't shoot them down, liamcool will (and I know Screendoor will take out WGRYWH too, he hates that song).

AtomicBono said:

Never mind that One is consistently ranked by respected music publications as being one of the best songs ever written and that it has been covered many times, including by Johnny Cash.

tommycharles said:
You can take New Years Day off of the list. It goes nowhere, the lyrics are just a little too vague to be effective, they play it exactly the same way live every time (except the 2005 performances, which were the same as usual except Bono sounded like he was going to fall asleep mid song), and it just does nothing for me.

I love NYD. The piano part gets me every time. Edge's duality in the live versions is pretty stirring stuff, with his control of the guitar and haunting melody.

Streets is also great. The people have clearly spoken.

Third on my list would be Mysterious Ways.

KhanadaRhodes said:

i loathe stay..... it reminds me of a drunk person trying to play the guitar or a tape being eaten or something.

:drool:

I guess we all can agree to disagree.

I would include Streets, NYD and SBS, but not Mysterious Ways.

Also hard not to like the message of Walk On since it's about one of the bravest women of our time.

ntalwar said:

Never mind that One is consistently ranked by respected music publications as being one of the best songs ever written and that it has been covered many times, including by Johnny Cash.

Ha, "respected music publications"? Have you seen the crap One gets listed with? It certainly doesn't make the publications nor One look very good.

And besides the live performance at Sarajevo, Johnny Cash's cover of One is the only version of the song I can stand.

In what universe are "Did you come here to play Jesus/to the lepers in your head?" bad lyrics? Not to mention the whole "Love is a temple/love the higher law/you ask me to enter/and then you make me crawl" part?

I had no idea there were so many ONE haters before I came here. I just can't understand how anyone could "hate" this song. Aside from guessing that some fans like to dwell on the obscurity rather than enjoy the best parts of a band's work. I've noticed that kind of thing a lot with Grateful Dead fans and some others. I think they like to tell people the best songs aren't that good to give the impression that you aren't a "real" fan unless you listen to something you've never heard of before.

But I could be totally wrong about that. :(

WhiteWolf said:
I had no idea there were so many ONE haters before I came here. I just can't understand how anyone could "hate" this song. Aside from guessing that some fans like to dwell on the obscurity rather than enjoy the best parts of a band's work. I've noticed that kind of thing a lot with Grateful Dead fans and some others. I think they like to tell people the best songs aren't that good to give the impression that you aren't a "real" fan unless you listen to something you've never heard of before.

No, that pretty much nails it on the head. :wink:

I'm not the biggest One supporter myself (though I think it's a good tune), but to say that it's "one of the worst songs ever recorded" is ridiculous. Hyperbole at it's most outrageous.

Is it overrated compared to some other songs in U2's catalogue? Probably. But it's still a good tune.

Especially live during the Zoo TV era (Hear us coming, Lord?). :drool:

WhiteWolf said:
I think they like to tell people the best songs aren't that good to give the impression that you aren't a "real" fan unless you listen to something you've never heard of before.

I think you're basically right on there. For a lot of songs that hardcore fans claim to hate - either they have heard the songs too many times and gotten burned out on them or don't like them because the casual U2 fans like them.

That's very true, but I remember early on making a conscious decision not to listen to ONE or BLOODY SUNDAY and many others too much simply because I knew I would get burned out listening to them. I sort of like to "save" certain songs. And then listening to them is a bit like eating chocolate. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom