The Official Grammy Thread Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An objective opinion disregards any bias, and when I objectively give an opinion on U2's performances I discount any attitudes I had before I saw that particular performance. So, when I say that "Sometimes..." was a weak performance I look at it compared to what U2's potential is, and how they compare to their peers. Bono is capable of 'selling' a song; he didn't.

That IS just my opinion, but they've done better and will do better in the future. That, my friends, is an objective opinion and quite optimistic too. ;)

Now, I agree that "Vertigo" was a great rock song and should have been nominated. But over the past 4 years, U2 has won so many awards at the Grammy's that I believed Green Day was due. Much like Ray Charles was this year for a mediocre record (in the grand scheme of his career), Green Day should have had their comeupence (sp?) when they came out with a great album, a great single, and a great time. U2 is the best band of all time, but Green Day deserves some respect, even if they're just a punk band.

BTW, does winning a Grammy make them less punk? ---and more pop?

random Grammy Ramblins from ESPN.com's Bill "The Sports Guy" Simmons

Leftover Grammy questions: Did Jamie Foxx clear it with Sam Jackson before shaving his head? Is Stevie Wonder secretly excited that he's the last famous blind singer? Was there anything better than the Kanye West "I can't believe I just lost Best New Artist to Maroon 5" face? What's the difference between J-Lo's rear end and Kelly Clarkson's rear end? Is Bono officially in the David Robinson/Tony LaRussa Pantheon for "guys who just don't age?"

(Wait, there's more!)

Shouldn't Matt McConaughey be legally required to say "All right, all right, all right" every time he starts speaking in public? If I bought a black hat and an ugly shirt and grew a bad goatee, would this make me eligible to become a popular country music singer? Do you think the guys from Offspring are bummed out that Green Day made such a huge comeback while they're probably playing at the Somerville Holiday Inn this weekend? And isn't the best way to win a few Grammys just to fake your own death?

Is Bono officially in the David Robinson/Tony LaRussa Pantheon for "guys who just don't age?"

:lol: :D :up:.

The rest of that was pretty funny, too-yeah, Kanye getting beat was interesting...maybe it's just me, but I'm not seeing exactly why people are falling all over his music. The song he performed at the Grammys wasn't, to me, all that different from a lot of the other spiritual songs that some rappers have done before (and some of those other people did a bit better with their spiritual-related songs, imho). I mean, much respect for him bouncing back from his horrible car crash, and how anyone can record a song with a wired jaw is beyond me...but still...

*Shrugs* Meh. I dunno.

Besides, I just personally like Maroon 5's music better, so I'm happy they won.

Angela

Just for the record, because I think everyone's ready for this thread to fade-off: I rewatched the performance of "Sometimes..." and I wanted to say that I was completely wrong. It was a great performance. Sorry about adding fuel to the fire...

"Across the Universe" still sucked, but U2 did better upon a second look. :)

Back
Top Bottom