The Official Grammy Thread Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yahweh said:
All of you that have nothing good to say about the U2 performance should go listen to another band I am sure the rest of us could do without your constant bitching and complaining.

Yeah, after seeing this performance, I just realized that I really don't like U2 at all. I don't know why I bought all those albums and went to all those concerts.

If I was one of those people that hasn't liked anything since POP and yet still hangs out on U2 forums, you'd probably have a point. But I love the new album, and love the song.

Maybe YOU should listen to another band, so you won't be so oversensitive about this one.

laz

Maybe I shouldnt and recognize that people were expecting to hear Vertigo and didnt and I am personally glad that didnt happen.

bcrt2000 said:
the first time you heard a u2 song did you ever feel like it was the best song ever?

I used to.

I usually either like a song right off or I don't (from any artist). I may take a while to figure out if a particular song is one of my very favorites, but yeah I know if I like it or not right away.

Originally posted by Yahweh
As I said in the 1st paragraph if you didnt like the performance go listen to somebody else it would be nice to hear something complimentry here for once

There have been many complimentary comments in this and the previous Grammy thread. But sometimes a performance just sucks. If this was a sucky performance, do you really think it's better to gloss over that and say "Oh what a terrific performance!!!"? I didn't see it so I don't know if it was good or bad, but if it was less than stellar I think that should be noted. Think about it -- if you were a performer and you gave what you know wasn't a great performance would you really want everyone telling you how wonderful it was? If everyone around you always told you everything you did was wonderful, wouldn't you become jaded, because you would know that everyone was lying to you at least some of the time?

I think great performances should be noted and raved about. But I also think that bad performances should be noted also. Just because one notes a bad performance doesn't mean that person thinks the band is all washed up -- everyone has bad days. I just think people should be honest, especially about bands they love.

Obviously, reading through these Grammy threads, there is a wide variety of views about the performance...and all of those are valid.

Last edited:
U2 are not perfect and they make mistakes. They even owned up to the whole ticket fiasco. Geez, why is they can't do anything right by some people anymore? So, it's not their best performance. Every artist has a so-so performance once in awhile. None of them are perfect. For one thing, how much time have they even had together to practice or work out the kinks?

I, too, think they should have played a more upbeat song because most of the other songs were, but they chose the song based on what they thought was best. If it didn't work out the way some think it should have, then fine, let it be a mistake. Why beat them down for something like this over and over and over? By the way, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. What some people think is great talent others think is garbage.

Honestly, theres so much negativity that it just makes it suck to want to be a fan and share any sort of excitment about them any more. I was one to critize them harshly for the ticket fiasco but they are trying to fix it. I'm not blind to the stuff they have screwed up but I just feel like people can't come to any U2 forum or group and say something nice about them without the negative people coming out against them time and time again. If the negative people don't care for them anymore (and that's their right) then no one is holding a gun to anyone's head to stay here or any other fan site. If they are so horrible now then why keep coming here? Sometimes I just feel like they come to annoy others and it somehow is fun for them. It just gets a little tired. This rant wasn't directed at one person in particular. Just more of a rant against those types in general that seem to be everywhere now.

Last edited:
This was certainly the best ever Grammy performance U2 has done....less people forget that Bono forgot a verse of Beautiful Day when it won song of the year and record of the year which is certainly a lot more objectionable then the way the band sounded tonight with Bonos voice in uncharactaristically good form. People said the syth was too loud thats fine maybe it was but to say the performance was bad just because those people in the crowd didnt give it a standing obvation is obserd.

One of Bonos best techincal singing moments of the last 10 years was performed tonight.....to refer to another thread his voice wasnt "gratting" and it couldnt have been any better.

To each their own but I am quite frankly tired of people comparing a trained singer like Keys to somebody like Bono that had to learn how to sing on his own. Keys was one of the few other perfomances that had the crowd going based on her own material.

Furthermore you can see the Green Day lead singer doesnt have any vocal range as proved by the get together for Across the Universe...but does he have to no...hes in a punk band...same type of band U2 started out in...people seem to forget this fact.

Lisa71 said:
U2 are not perfect and they make mistakes. They even owned up to the whole ticket fiasco. Geez, why is they can't do anything right by some people anymore? So, it's not their best performance. Every artist has a so-so performance once in awhile. None of them are perfect. For one thing, how much time have they even had together to practice or work out the kinks?

I, too, think they should have played a more upbeat song because most of the other songs were, but they chose the song based on what they thought was best. If it didn't work out the way some think it should have, then fine, let it be a mistake. Why beat them down for something like this over and over and over? By the way, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. What some people think is great talent others think is garbage.

Honestly, theres so much negativity that it just makes it suck to want to be a fan and share any sort of excitment about them any more. I was one to critize them harshly for the ticket fiasco but they are trying to fix it. I'm not blind to the stuff they have screwed up but I just feel like people can't come to any U2 forum or group and say something nice about them without the negative people coming out against them time and time again. If the negative people don't care for them anymore (and that's their right) then no one is holding a gun to anyone's head to stay here or any other fan site. If they are so horrible now then why keep coming here? Sometimes I just feel like they come to annoy others and it somehow is fun for them. It just gets a little tired. This rant wasn't directed at one person in particular. Just more of a rant against those types in general that seem to be everywhere now.

:up:. Well said. Thank you.

Angela

Lisa71 said:

Seems to me that most of the negativity people bitch so incessantly about is from the people bitching about the negativity. :shrug:

I know, I know -- I'm a bitch... ;)

indra said:

Seems to me that most of the negativity people bitch so incessantly about is from the people bitching about the negativity. :shrug:

Seems to me that this place is just one big fucking negativity fest. "Waaa, U2 have sucked since Pop!" "U2 stole $40 from me!" "Larry's a wanker!" "U2 sucked at the Grammy's!" "Stop whining about U2!" "Stop whining about the whining!"

Forget fans enjoying discussing their common interest ...

i might be wrong but the performance that i've just DL from u2exit was a good one...and i don't understand why some consider this performance weak compared to other of the same song.

I really like their performance! Especially the 'siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing' :wink:
And Larry's apology on TV - Thanks, man! (Has anyone a link- unfortunately I couldn't see it... :( )

lazarus said:
West Coast viewer here.

Honestly, I think you people are deaf, blind or both. This might be the worst awards show performance I've seen from the band.

Yeah right. Beautiful day performance from the Grammys was much worse than this. (remember how shot Bono's voice sounded then?)

The performance was just fine, thank you. Maybe not as powerful as the Brooklyn bridge or Jonathan Ross version but still good. Falsetto, the "sing" part, he hit everything. Loved the white backdrop.

I don't know where or what you were looking, but I can remember camera showing people clapping and cheering after they finished.

Last edited:
Just a glance at the last page of this thread, and it looks like the backlash has already begun. :sigh: So at the risk of being unpopular, I'm going to sing the praises of my band.

Beautiful performance of Sometimes. The synth was a little too loud, but the band themselves was amazing. The vocal was incredible, without a single sour note. And Edge... I love you, Edge.

Beautiful acceptance speech -- Edge dedicating the award to his daughter brought tears to my eyes. And how many ways can I love Larry Mullen, Jr?

The tsunami benefit song sounded a bit ragged, but for 99 cents, who cares? Bono was arguably the best vocalist on the song, and I was very pleased he got to carry the back-up vocal on his own toward the start of the song. I think he got the most lines of any of the performers -- and rightfully so!

A great night for the boys. I was thrilled they won all three of their awards. This gives me high hopes for next year. :up:

All in all, just another night of many to remind me why I love U2 so much. :heart:

My god I was expecting something awful from this performance before I saw it having read the comments on here. I mean quite frankly to say that the SNL and Brookly Bridge performances were better than this is laughable. They were and still are the two worst performances U2 have done of Sometimes this was easily better. And bono hit THE note more comftarbly tonight which was nice, I am constantly thinking he wont hit it on tour when he's gotta do it every night.

I have still seen better performances of sometimes but I am pretty sure that people will have heard that and will want to hear it again and will go and buy the album off the back of it.

Still for all you unsatisfied fans, try and find a copy of the Jonathan Ross performance or the high quality one of the one they did at HQ for Radio 1, they are two best performances I have heard.

Bono and Slash wtf is what springs to mind, Slash and Edge:drool: would have been class had they got to do something together plus Jimmy Page was there, so he could have joined them too:wink:

I expected a really bad performance (after reading some posts here), but I think it was really good. Although (strangely enough) Bono seemed to have trouble with finding the right words at the intro of the song... Again, well done!

It was a great performance, perhaps U2's best Grammy performance ever.

Ironically, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own didn't get a standing ovation.

But The Mullen Apology got a standing ovation.

Hail to King Larry!

Cheers,

J

miss becky said:
Just a glance at the last page of this thread, and it looks like the backlash has already begun. :sigh: So at the risk of being unpopular, I'm going to sing the praises of my band.

Beautiful performance of Sometimes. The synth was a little too loud, but the band themselves was amazing. The vocal was incredible, without a single sour note. And Edge... I love you, Edge.

Beautiful acceptance speech -- Edge dedicating the award to his daughter brought tears to my eyes. And how many ways can I love Larry Mullen, Jr?

The tsunami benefit song sounded a bit ragged, but for 99 cents, who cares? Bono was arguably the best vocalist on the song, and I was very pleased he got to carry the back-up vocal on his own toward the start of the song. I think he got the most lines of any of the performers -- and rightfully so!

A great night for the boys. I was thrilled they won all three of their awards. This gives me high hopes for next year. :up:

All in all, just another night of many to remind me why I love U2 so much. :heart:

:up: :yes: :up:

Great post.

When I saw the performance on TV, I had mixed feelings. It just seemed like ABOY would have fit the energy of the show better, and would have promoted the song, since it is their current US single and all. However, I totally understood that Edge probably wouldn't have been to into playing an upbeat song. Also, I thought Bono did a fantastic job with the ending -- best thus far.

After having listened to it a bunch of times since the Grammy's ended, I've grown to like the performance a lot more. I think that Edge was a little more subdued than normal, but that's understandable. Bono, on the other hand, gave the best vocal performance yet of SYCMIOYO. Aside from a few rough areas (far fewer than normal), this was the strongest and clearest I've heard him sing it. I think Bono's performance really made up for any other shortcomings (synth problems, etc).

I think the reason you didn't see a standing ovation is that people were a little surprised to hear such a different song played, especially since they were expecting Vertigo. It really was a good performance, and I wouldn't be concerned at all about the reaction of the crowd or general public.

Seriously though, the acceptance speech was the moment of the night for me. First off, I was shocked that they won that award (as were they). I was really glad they did though, as it allowed them to say what they did. Edge's dedication was very emotional, Bono's praise for the other bands was very gracious, and Larry speaking directly to us on such a gigantic public platform truly made me realize why I respect U2 so much.

It was a good night to be a U2 fan :)

Last edited:
Thanks Gorman!
Unfortunately it always says 'Page not found'
I guess, I did sth wrong! Tried different 'versions' of the link...
Only minus the last space, or also minus - and_ ?
Thanks...

:confused: That link doesn't seem to work, gorman.

Forgot to say, best intro and ending of the song so far.

pepokiss said:
I DON'T LIKE THAT HAIR!!! :angry:

O.K., gotcha - now get over it. :mad: You are one of the few who don't like it, yet the most vocal - every post of yours mentions it. I'm a guy and I think it looks great! :yes:

Regarding the awards, as Bono stated, I too thought it would be Green Day's year. So I'm quite impressed with U2's wins. Also, I think "Vertigo" is a better song than "American Idiot". I appreciate what "Idiot" is saying, but musically the song sounds like all other Green Day songs. When I first heard it, I felt I had gone back to "Dookie" in the mid-90's. People complain that HTDAAB isn't experimental enough, well just compare "Dookie" to "American Idiot".

Also, this was the first time the members of U2 discussed the "illness rumor". While never straight out saying it, Edge dedicated the award to his daughter :sad: and Larry stated that the tour almost didn't happen!! :ohmy:

As such, thank you God for caring for Sian. Thank you U2 for caring for us. :) And congratulations!

Back
Top Bottom