The NSYNC ripping off U2 trend continues...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
From MTV news:
'NSYNC have some surprises in store for fans who presume two massive tours supporting the same album ? last year's Celebrity ? is a bit redundant.

For the Celebrity 2002 trek, which kicks off March 3 in Portland, Oregon, the pop quintet have traded in stadiums for the cozier confines of arenas, allowing for stripped down, more intimate performances ? that is, if your idea of intimate is snuggling up with nearly 20,000 other likeminded pop lovers.

Another way the band plans to refrain from giving a repeat performance of PopOdyssey, which began nearly two months before Celebrity was released, is by offering up reworked versions of familiar songs from the group's 1998 self-titled debut.

"Last year, it was cool because the kids knew when they were coming to the show that they were going to get something that nobody else had," Justin Timberlake said, "which was about 80 percent of the album. This year, obviously, they'll know the songs, but we put a twist on almost everything, so it makes it fun for them to hear it a different way and try to recognize those tunes."

On the upcoming trek, the group will also perform on a circular stage that gives them a 360-degree view of their fans. It's an open-armed gesture that makes the group approachable from nearly every angle, and the more seats made available from the space-efficient design only makes for a more densely populated group hug.

"It's very intimate," Lance Bass said of the setup. "It's really all about the music."

"It's great because you can fit more people and more people can come see you," added Joey Fatone. "You're also closer to everybody. It does limit you in what you can do with special effects and that type of stuff, but this tour we didn't want to do that. We didn't want to do the huge production that we always do. We really wanted to get down and change some of the songs up. Just really get in there with the music and let the people experience something new that they haven't seen before."

Timberlake summarized, "This tour will be completely different. [Fans] can expect the unexpected. We're gonna have a chance to sit down and talk to them a little bit more, and they'll definitely feel like they left with a piece of us."

Concerning other concert details, the group remained tight-lipped, not wanting to spoil any surprises or appear too staged.

"I don't want to say too much about it, because then it won't be exciting when [fans] come," Timberlake said. "They'll be like, 'Oh yeah, he said he was going to do that, so then he did it.' "

'NSYNC have lined up P. Diddy, Smash Mouth and Ginuwine to open the 37 shows, with each artist handling a portion of the tour (see "'NSYNC Add P. Diddy To List of Big Name Opening Acts"). Bass didn't divulge any plans for onstage collaborations with 'NSYNC's crowd primers, nor would he deny the possibility.

"You never know who might join us onstage," he hinted.

?Joe D'Angelo, with additional reporting by Jeff Cornell

This article can be found on MTV News Online.

------------------
"Shame on you! Ugly baby judges you!"

Yep, what they're really about is the music.

My ass.

------------------
Show a little faith
There's magic in the night

Hey, they can rip off of U2 all they want. If they're going to copy someone, at least copy someone good, right?

Cheesy teen pop has a place in the music biz. Maybe we don't like it, but a lot of people do. The fact that N*SYNC is trying to improve their show, and make it more about the music, and less about the pyro & dancing, shows that there's still hope for them yet.

Honestly, and I might get flamed for this, I think that they're pretty talented vocalists. I heard an mp3 of them doing an a cappella BeeGees medley, and it sounded really good. I think that if they ever want to move beyond teen schlock, and they do it right, they might be good at more serious music. Then again, they;re getting filthy rich right where they are, so I'm not holding my breath waiting for them to put out something revolutionary
smile.gif

-Mike

LadyLemon..

On a completely different note, I love the line in your signature. That's one of my favorite songs ever.

Cheers,

-Mike

Don't get me wrong, the boys can sing, but I just get defensive when people copy U2 to this extent. That and I just don't like the thrown-together-by-a-board-of-people-to-appeal-to-certain-demographics thing. But, if I could make that kinda money and get girls... that's a truly difficult ethical question

------------------
"Shame on you! Ugly baby judges you!"

Originally posted by Mike P:
LadyLemon..

On a completely different note, I love the line in your signature. That's one of my favorite songs ever.

Cheers,

-Mike

Thanks, and ditto! I hope to play it at my wedding someday.

smile.gif

------------------
Show a little faith
There's magic in the night

actually, I don't think its so much copying U2 as much as it is not being able to sell out stadiums. their stadium tour last summer was a flop. no sell outs. in fact, in NYC they cancelled one of three "sold out" shows because of some moving equipment excuse. So they gave people to that sold out show tickets to one of the two not cancelled sold out shows. Hmmm....80,000 filled seats in a stadium and they were able to fit 40,000 more people in? do the math-- it doesn't make sense for a reason.

Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon:
"It's very intimate," Lance Bass said of the setup. "It's really all about the music."

NStink makes music?????

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon:

"Last year, it was cool because the kids knew when they were coming to the show that they were going to get something that nobody else had," Justin Timberlake said,

mad.gif
I HATE THE WORD KIDS. I HATE it when people say that. Sooooooo demeaning. ARG.

------------------
"I told the truth I didn't come to fool ya
and even if it all went wrong
I'll stand before the lord of song
with nothing on my lips but hallelujah"

High..Higher
Macphisto: Try A Taste Of Martini

Please excuse me..

icon21.gif
icon21.gif
icon21.gif
icon21.gif
icon21.gif

------------------
"Very strange looking object you have at the end of your stick.." - Bono

"Bono looks too intense for me." - Rollercoaster Tycoon park guest

"I was drunk, high on him, a shrinking, shadowboxing dwarf following in his foosteps...badly...STARSTRUCK.." - Bono, on meeting Frank Sinatra for the first time

"Bono? Bono is going to tie ropes around my neck? Wait a minute.." - Edge, when shooting the 'Numb' video

LadyLemon..

Cheers,

-Mike

ditto

Hey have any of you bought or downloaded Pop, No strings Attached, or their first album? What do you guys & gals think of the non-radio songs... I really like their song "Gone." Its pretty good with the guitar and all.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

LadyLemon..

Cheers,

-Mike

Me too.

And I know you're lonely
For words that I ain't spoken
But tonight we'll be free
All the promises'll be broken

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:
What song is this???

THUNDER ROAD

The screen door slams
Mary's dress waves