the next tour- possible setlists!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob33

Rock n' Roll Doggie
alright U2 fans...so with the next album will come another tour, so lets here it, what do you think the next setlist will be (include snippets)...taking into account maybe 4-6 songs from the new album that will take up space...but other than those songs, and assuming a 25 song setlist with encore and everything....what 20 do you think they will play (obviously considering the slight changes in setlist from night to night).......I have been hearing from some people that they will play songs that they rarely play live or have never played before live, a song like red hill mining town or acrobat, something of that nature...so I'm very intrigued, and already trying to think of the setlist for the next tour.....and this question considers any and all songs associated with U2...so even songs like electrical storm and songs that aren't on official albums, etc......so share your setlists! :D

It's too hard to predict without knowing what kind of songs are in the new album. You can't make it flow with "New Song #1."

1. Even Better Than The Real Thing
2. *
3. *
4. *
5. One
6. Lemon
7. Vertigo
8. Last Night On Earth
9. Desire
10. *
11. *
12. Sunday Bloody Sunday
13. Gloria
14. Where The Streets Have No Name
15. *

16. The Unforgettable Fire
17. Indian Summer Sky/Wire/A Sort of Homecoming
18. Pride

19. Beautiful Day
20. */40

... impossible task, because we have to listen to the album first, have to hear, what the band was inspired by, if they even listened to older albums etc.

On the other hand, I'd bet that there are four staples in the set list from the beginning – if the shows are classic U2 rock shows, of course. If they radically change the tour concept, want to re-arrange tunes etc., it could differ. But ususally these tunes are no surprise:

- "Where The Streets Have No Name" (80-100%)
- "One" (100%)
- "Beautiful Day" (unfortunately 100%)
- "Vertigo" (90-100%)

plus
6-8 tunes from the new album

-> this leaves 8-10 song spots in the set list for more "Greatest Hits" (which U2 have a lot) and (hopefully) a few dust-off gems from their past, e.g. "The Unforgettable Fire" etc.

Streets is a given.

One, I think actually may have a chance of dropping off every once in awhile(call me an optimist).

BD, I think is still young enough to be a staple.

Vertigo, everyone seems to think this is a given, but I don't know, I think it may take the seat of Disco, a good single, but doesn't really fit into the next tour... at least that's my hope. :wink:

ok so you do think unforgettable fire is quite a possibility...that is going to be awesome!!!!

and yes, I am desperate! hahaha

hmm now what about red hill mining town and acrobat...does anybody think they could potentially play those or no? and might they bring back Ultraviolet?

Most important would be for the less obvious melodies created for concert; "Love Is Blindness" is simplified live but it's much better in the studio version; same with "One" during Popmart which was overdone with all the strings and melodrama. Also, Bono should stop singing off-beat; With Or Without You sounds awful if he doesn't sing it properly; same with Streets.

I don't want any singles from HTDAAB or ATYCLB or any songs from Zooropa other than Lemon or any songs from Pop other than Do You Feel Loved?, Please, or MOFO.

I'd like them to rework some War songs like "Like a Song" and "The Drowning Man". No more. Sunday, New Year's; maybe have "40"
No more "Pride". I'd love an updating of "The Unforgettable Fire" and "Promenade" Maybe have "Bad" without the synth used live.

I'd love JT songs, but more of the infrequently played songs, especially "Exit", "Red Hill Mining Town"

From R&H: full on Zoo TV era Desire, Angel of Harlem, All I Want is You are fine. Hawkmoon 269, Heartland.

Everything from AB.

Screw the bellweather fans! U2 doesn't need them if they're gonna make a fuss during lesser known songs. I want great music!

Last edited:
I'd like to see Streets return to the opening spot. Too many tours now have had setlist structured around Streets 2/3 of the way through. Put Streets back to the start and immediately you will get something very different in terms of the setlist structure.

Of course they will stick too much to the same songs night after night (subject of much debate here) but at a minimum I'd like to see a setlist with a different structure and moving Streets out of it's now regular 2/3 of the way through spot will give us this.

Hey also with the 20th Aniversary JT thing perhaps they will play some of the grossly underplayed JT greatness like Trip Through Your Wires, In God's Country and Exit.

Last edited:
hmm good points...i think playboy mansion would be cool as well...not sure if they'll play it though...

If they wont play UTEOTW I will be seriously miffed!

It would be good if they circulated a survey among hard core fans...we wouldn't risk BD to be incuded anymore!!!
(daydreaming)

Muldfeld said:
Also, Bono should stop singing off-beat; With Or Without You sounds awful if he doesn't sing it properly; same with Streets.

I don't want any singles from HTDAAB or ATYCLB or any songs from Zooropa other than Lemon or any songs from Pop other than Do You Feel Loved?, Please, or MOFO.
'

Yeah, Bono sucks, he doesn't have it anymore. And everything they've done since 1991 is worthless. :wink:

And guys, as much as I would just die to hear Acrobat and RHMT, there's a reason they don't play them. At least with Acrobat, the band has consistently said it's too complex to do live. :(

Last edited:
OK people, straight from The Edge, here's the set for opening night on the next tour. Remember, you heard it here first.

29 February 2009, Scott Base, Ross Dependency, Antarctica

1. Boomerang II / One Minute Warning (snippet) [feat. Brian Eno]
2. Spanish Eyes
3. Party Girl
4. Fast Cars / Macarena (Edge snippet; booed by penguins)
5. Dancing Barefoot
6. Concentration Cramp [feat. Dik Evans on ukulele]
7. The Fool
8. Another Day / A Day Without Me (snippet) / Beautiful Day (snippet) / New Year's Day (snippet) / Last Night On Earth (snippet)
9. Touch / Trevor (snippet)
10. Rejoice / Scarlet (snippet nobody notices)
11. With A Shout
12. Stranger In A Strange Land
13. Heartland
14. A Sort Of Homecoming / Elvis Presley And America (snippet) / Freedom For My People (snippet)
15. Beautiful Ghost / Where The Streets Have No Name (intro snippet)
16. Wild Irish Rose
17. The Wanderer / Hurt (snippet, which Bono labels "a great Cash original") [feat. Johnny Cash's ghost and the entire cast of Ghostbusters]

18. Zooropa
19. Lady With The Spinning Head / The Fly (snippet) / Ultra Violet (snippet)
20. Theme From Let's Go Native

21. The Three Sunrises
22. Two Hearts Beat As One
23. Forty-Six And Two (Tool cover)
24. 17,214,117 (new song)
25. 40 / Vertigo (snippet) / Miracle Drug (snippet) / Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (snippet) / Love And Peace Or Else (snippet) / City Of Blinding Lights (snippet) / All Because Of You (snippet) / Crumbs From Your Table (snippet) / One Step Closer (snippet) / Original Of The Species (snippet) / Yahweh (snippet) / Gloria (snippet) / Drunk Chicken (snippet) / Assaulted By Underpants (snippet)

Varitek said:
'At least with Acrobat, the band has consistently said it's too complex to do live. :(

Which is just proof that U2 sometimes really are full of shit and you can't take a lot of what they say seriously.

I mean, if Acrobat's too complex to play live, so are many of the songs they quite successfully have been playing for years. Hell, if they could do Mofo or Lemon live, Acrobat's a piece of cake. Lemon cake, maybe.

Muldfeld said:
Most important would be for the less obvious melodies created for concert; "Love Is Blindness" is simplified live but it's much better in the studio version; same with "One" during Popmart which was overdone with all the strings and melodrama. Also, Bono should stop singing off-beat; With Or Without You sounds awful if he doesn't sing it properly; same with Streets.

Thank God you are not in charge when it comes to making these decisions.

Varitek said:

Yeah, Bono sucks, he doesn't have it anymore. And everything they've done since 1991 is worthless. :wink:

ok, lets try to post with at least SOME sensibility here...thanks :)

but i do have a question- do you think they will continue to perform Miss Sarejevo? and does Pavarotti's passing increase the chances of them playing it?

Axver said:

Which is just proof that U2 sometimes really are full of shit and you can't take a lot of what they say seriously.

I mean, if Acrobat's too complex to play live, so are many of the songs they quite successfully have been playing for years. Hell, if they could do Mofo or Lemon live, Acrobat's a piece of cake. Lemon cake, maybe.

Yeah. But they seem to have this schtick about it. Do you know why they don't play RHMT?

Rob33 said:

ok, lets try to post with at least SOME sensibility here...thanks :)

but i do have a question- do you think they will continue to perform Miss Sarejevo? and does Pavarotti's passing increase the chances of them playing it?

Uh....sarcasm? hence the wink?

And I think on the next tour Miss Sarajevo will be used either as a rare edition to the set list (a la Crumbs, WGRYWH on Vertigo) or not at all.

haha didn't notice the wink :wink:

hmm...is that just a hunch...or did you hear something leading you to believe that (regarding MS)?

Last edited:
Axver said:
OK people, straight from The Edge, here's the set for opening night on the next tour. Remember, you heard it here first.

1. Boomerang II / One Minute Warning (snippet) [feat. Brian Eno]
2. Spanish Eyes
3. Party Girl
4. Fast Cars / Macarena (Edge snippet; booed by penguins)
5. Dancing Barefoot
6. Concentration Cramp [feat. Dik Evans on ukulele]
7. The Fool
8. Another Day / A Day Without Me (snippet) / Beautiful Day (snippet) / New Year's Day (snippet) / Last Night On Earth (snippet)
9. Touch / Trevor (snippet)
10. Rejoice / Scarlet (snippet nobody notices)
11. With A Shout
12. Stranger In A Strange Land
13. Heartland
14. A Sort Of Homecoming / Elvis Presley And America (snippet) / Freedom For My People (snippet)
16. Wild Irish Rose
17. The Wanderer / Hurt (snippet, which Bono labels "a great Cash original") [feat. Johnny Cash's ghost and the entire cast of Ghostbusters]

18. Zooropa
19. Lady With The Spinning Head / The Fly (snippet) / Ultra Violet (snippet)
20. Theme From Let's Go Native

21. The Three Sunrises
22. Two Hearts Beat As One
23. Forty-Six And Two (Tool cover)
24. 17,214,117 (new song)
25. 40 / Vertigo (snippet) / Miracle Drug (snippet) / Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (snippet) / Love And Peace Or Else (snippet) / City Of Blinding Lights (snippet) / All Because Of You (snippet) / Crumbs From Your Table (snippet) / One Step Closer (snippet) / Original Of The Species (snippet) / Yahweh (snippet) / Gloria (snippet) / Drunk Chicken (snippet) / Assaulted By Underpants (snippet)

you forgot that U2 will follow the 'vertigo formula and play another song again'

definately a boomerang encore..except this time around it will be Boomerang I

Rob33 said:
haha didn't notice the wink :wink:

hmm...is that just a hunch...or did you hear something leading you to believe that (regarding MS)?

This entire thread is hunches. Nobody has heard anything about the next tour, let alone what will be played on it.

Varitek said:

Nobody has heard anything about the next tour, let alone what will be played on it.

Speak for yourself. I have insiders, I can guarantee you the Lemon will be back, they will be doing a cover of Wake Me Up Before You Go, and opening night will be on a barge off the shores of Kenya's beaches.

Axver said:

:laugh: I would give anything to see this... Maybe they could snippet songs like how they "snippeted" The First Time in Bad at that Chicago show.

Or Drunk Chicken live, seeing as how none of us actually have any idea as to what it is yet...

Varitek said:
I heard it wasn't a barge, but that they'd be doing the whole show from the Lemon, which can float in salt water.

I heard it was Edge's spaceship, which has been engineered by Bono to distribute vaccines to HIV-AID, money and converts greenhouse gases to ozone all at the same time...

alright..i guess this falls in here....if we want to hear ONE song at the show you go to, what would it be...obviously besides the new album stuff..the one song out of all the others what would it be..i'm mainly referring to a rare one or one they've never played but i guess anything is cool...but your one song that you want played....anyone? :D

Vertigo was mostly 22 songs I think. And it seems to be around 7 from a new album, so in no paticular order

First the staples:

8. Streets
9. One
10. Pride
11. Bullet
12. Beautiful Day
13. Vertigo

Adding in some of the more common ones that will probably be in some kind of rotation with other near-staples like Bad & New Years Day:

14. I Will Follow
15. With Or Without You
16. The Fly
17. Mysterious Ways
18. Until The End Of The World
19. Elevation
20. Sunday Bloody Sunday

And a couple that will probably be brought over from Vertigo:

21. COBL
22. Sometimes

There ya go. I hope it's not that predictable, but with that many songs to choose from; what else are you gonna expect?

Back
Top Bottom