the next tour- possibe rarities to be played?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the only songs that sort of count as rarities that I'd be interested in are Rejoice, 2 hearts beat as one, Surrender and Wire

if they could find a way to fit One Tree Hill in the setlist that would be great

Remember the same discussion before Vertigo Tour..... we said exactly the same, that they won't play anything special..... finally, they played:

- The Ocean
- The electric co
- An cat dubh
- Into the Heart
- Gloria
- Miss Sarajevo
- One tree hill
- etc....

so, I think we will be surprised and U2 will put some rarities out of their sleeves.... whatever it might be....

Guess:

- A day without me
- Twilight
- 2 hearts beat as 1
- Wire
- Unforgettable fire
- Wave of sorrows
- Van diemand's land
- Ultra violet
- Mofo
- HMTMKMKM

can't wait.....:drool:

just imagine the encore and they rip into mofo followed by that hard rocking discotheque version thay played a few times on the last tour now that would be something!

But realistically i feel HMTMKMKM and EBTTRT will make comebacks!

Electrical Storm is the only U2 single never to be played live.

Red Hill Mining Town if only for the reason of Bono wanting to show that his voice is "better" now than it was in 1987.

Acrobat was on Bono's mind during the Dave Stewart interview in 2005(6?)and it's become a running joke amongst delusion u2 setlist wishmakers.

It's also really surprising the number of R&H cuts that have NEVER been played on US soil. Hawkmoon, God, and a couple more. Zooropa has only 2 songs played publically in the US - Stay and First Time(Wanderer played privately)

I actually want to see Edge's singing slot to return to the set. The Popmart karaoke seem to turn him off.

u2fp

ah, that's right! Van Diemen's Land!!! Anybody think edge will do this realistically? that would be so cool...i have never heard that lovetown...have they played it after lovetown?

and, regarding the 2006 interview with dave...Bono only spoke of acrobat because some guy screamed it really loud right behind him...although Bono did say "it is a very good suggestion," so maybe that will trigger a live performance.....

Rob33 said:
ah, that's right! Van Diemen's Land!!! Anybody think edge will do this realistically? that would be so cool...i have never heard that lovetown...have they played it after lovetown?

and, regarding the 2006 interview with dave...Bono only spoke of acrobat because some guy screamed it really loud right behind him...although Bono did say "it is a very good suggestion," so maybe that will trigger a live performance.....

I think VDL was done once on Zooropa in Europe and possibly once down under.

Bono did remember some lyrics from Acrobat. Quite remarkable for a song that barely had a life outside the studio.

u2fp

Yahweh_OMG said:
Yes it was performed for 1min20 in Buenos Aires..... without the solo.... just 1st verse.... in March 2006.... I was there and I had a heart attack...:drool:

helll I RECORDED IT

the video on YOUTUBE is mine... :drool:

You can hear me say "no lo puedo creer" (I can't believe it)

Yahweh_OMG said:
Remember the same discussion before Vertigo Tour..... we said exactly the same, that they won't play anything special..... finally, they played:

- The Ocean
- The electric co
- An cat dubh
- Into the Heart
- Gloria
- Miss Sarajevo
- One tree hill
- etc....

so, I think we will be surprised and U2 will put some rarities out of their sleeves.... whatever it might be....

Guess:

- A day without me
- Twilight
- 2 hearts beat as 1
- Wire
- Unforgettable fire
- Wave of sorrows
- Van diemand's land
- Ultra violet
- Mofo
- HMTMKMKM

can't wait.....:drool:
Yep and don't forget to add Zoo Station to the unexpected list.

I never thought about them getting that song back, and in a very good way.

Rob33 said:
Van Diemen's Land!!! Anybody think edge will do this realistically? that would be so cool...i have never heard that lovetown...have they played it after lovetown?

Yes, this beautiful tune was played at a handful of occiasions during the 1992 indoor leg of ZOO TV:
- 1992-03-17 Boston
- 1992-04-15 San Diego, California

The so-called snippet in the show from ...
1992-04-21 Tacoma
... is actually only Bono quoting the title line instead of AOH.

Then, when U2 brought the ZOO outdoor, VDL was rehearsed in ...
- 1992-08-07 - Hershey
... but never made it in the US-setlist, until, yes, until the band came to Middle-America, where a full version was performed again:
- 1992-11-25 Mexico City

When the band finally came to Europe, the song was rehearsed in ...
- 1993-05-07 Rotterdam
... but it was played only one time on the whole leg, the version that is the latest to date yet. The occasion was a spectacular double night in Italy's capital, where U2 played really outstanding shows in front of an ecstatic audience (myself included). The Edge's version was simply astonishing:
- 1993-07-06 Rome

if they get to play ZOOROPA one day, that's the day I'll commit suicide and in my tombstone it'll say "he died a happy man" :)

schnumi said:
Yep and don't forget to add Zoo Station to the unexpected list.

I never thought about them getting that song back, and in a very good way.

And "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses"

This last tour I think U2 found out alot of fans at their shows know the rarities. Next tour should only give them more confidence to mix things up.

zoopop said:

And "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses"

This last tour I think U2 found out alot of fans at their shows know the rarities. Next tour should only give them more confidence to mix things up.

yes exactly what i'm thinking...i hope they do in fact realize this...

and yes, how could they not bring kite back :drool:

Ultraviolet and Electrical Storm!!!!

If they play (and put on DVD) i'll contact U2 somehow and pay them each a million bucks!

Edge's acoustic version of Sunday Bloody Sunday from Popmart is amazing! I wish they would let him sing it again. It mellows the song down so much more, a bit more emotional even. Just Edge singing in general. We haven't heard him sing solo in a long time. I think that it's about to for Bono to give up his spot on center stage to The Edge!

flowerchildH said:
Edge's acoustic version of Sunday Bloody Sunday from Popmart is amazing! I wish they would let him sing it again. It mellows the song down so much more, a bit more emotional even. Just Edge singing in general. We haven't heard him sing solo in a long time. I think that it's about to for Bono to give up his spot on center stage to The Edge!

lol, "give up his spot on center stage" ...?

if you mean so Edge can do a SBS performance again or Van Diemen's Land or something like that then yeah that is great...I HOPE thats all you meant...cause it can be interpreted differently :wink:

now, back to the rarities...WOS seems to be popping up, but only the acoustic version, does anybody think they would play it full band? It doesn't seem like a hard song to do live...and it would probably sound better..although it's hard to top Union Chapel

yeah they need to do that song the same way as elevation tour if they do it again next tour...with the same arrangement so edge can sing like that again

Rob33 said:

now, back to the rarities...WOS seems to be popping up, but only the acoustic version, does anybody think they would play it full band? It doesn't seem like a hard song to do live...and it would probably sound better..although it's hard to top Union Chapel

Anything is possible, but I would put my money on an acoustic version if its played. They could possibly give it the acoustic/full band treatment also like they have done with Desire. Larry on the tom tom drum, Adam on bass, Edge on acoustic deal.

There are so many songs I wish they would dig up...

11 O'Clock Tick Tock, Rejoice, Like a Song..., Drowning Man, The Unforgettable Fire, Exit, Heartland, God Part II, Hawkmoon 269, Ultra Violet, Acrobat, Love is Blindness, Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World, Zooropa, Lemon, Dirty Day, Your Blue Room, Do You Feel Loved, Mofo, Last Night on Earth, Gone, Velvet Dress, Please, Wake Up Dead Man, The Ground Beneath Her Feet (full band)...

The list is endless. If I get 2 of those, I'm happy.

Axver said:
I think it's fairly hard to say anything with certainty, especially as the new album is still almost a year away (barring a shock early release). We certainly don't yet have anything to assist predictions such as how Bono was fond of drawing a link between HTDAAB and Boy. But hey, I'll give this stab and try to make some realistic predictions (i.e. I won't call the spectacular live debut of Treasure!). If nothing else, it'll make for interesting reading in a couple of years if somebody resurrects the thread. :wink:

Boy: I think that Vertigo essentially mined this clean of rarities. A Day Without Me would be a sweet return, but unless the band feel like doing Brick --> ADWM again, I don't see it happening.

October: I think the title track is always a chance. It's a fan favourite, it's short so it can slot into a set easily (especially in the form of October --> NYD), and it would not be tough for the band to learn. Anything that is not Gloria or October hasn't a chance. I desperately hope U2 prove my last sentence wrong and bust out Rejoice.

War: I don't really expect U2 to try to mine this one, with SBS and NYD already regulars and 40 always floating about. I suppose THBAO is a far outside chance.

UF: I'll call it now - something from this is coming back. The title track would be most likely. Personally, I think Wire would be a welcome return and would go great paired with Twilight.

JT: It's about time for In God's Country.

RAH: Keeping on going with the divine theme, it's about time for God Part II.

Achtung: EBTTRT. Big hit, missed a tour. It'll be back. Count on it.

Zooropa: Stay showed up at Union Chapel and Bono adores it. I'll bet that it comes back. Let's all pray for Dirty Day too.

Pop: Gone remains the most performed Pop song and it damn well better come back.

Non-album songs: The pattern says Spanish Eyes will be back (played on JT, missed Lovetown, played on ZooTV, missed Popmart, played on Elevation, missed Vertigo) but I wouldn't put too much in those patterns. Where the fuck is 11 O'clock Tick Tock? That's what I want to know.

I won't do the latest two albums as they're so recent.

I agree with all of this, would love to see all of these songs back, especially THBAO! Unlikely, I know, but that, Twilight and especially IN GOD'S COUNTRY are the ones that I really want to see again!

Drop Beautiful Day for Dirty Day.

Mysterious Ways back in ZooTV form. Belly dancers, for god's sake. Nice sexy belly dancers.

Bring Silver and Gold back. God Part II seems like it could really strain Bono's voice. But if anything, bring back Hawkmoon 269. The slide intro is genius!

Pop hits. For god's sake Mofo would be like the Messiah's second coming. But, then again, where would MOFO fit anywhere except PopMart? Gone is great, but I really think Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me would really rock the house.

Ditch Elevation. Have New York appear again occasionally in the lineup.

I think Bullet the Blue Sky can be replaced with Love and Peace or Else. Maybe. Anyway, Trip Your Wires and In God's Country are just incredible live.

MLK, anyone, busting into Pride? If Bono can bring back some energy, not as yelling as in the Joshua Tree Tour, then this would be a great duo.

Two Hearts Beat As One. I can sacrifice Sunday Bloody Sunday for this.

If A Celebration was performed, I would piss myself. Sounds magnificent. In fact, it would be a great opener. "I believe in the Atomic Bomb (NO WAY!!!)".

I was totally impressed by the Boy songs on Vertigo. Keep Electric Co.

All sets should end in All I want is You. Complete with violins.

Good Chance:
EBTTRT

Decent Chance:
The Unforgettable Fire
Gone
Love is Blindness
Staring At The Sun

Remote Chance:
October
Exit
Dirty Day
Mofo
Electrical Storm

I think the song I want to hear most live is Luminious Times. I would die if I heard that live. Not that I think I have any chance of that happening ... but I can dream ... I never understood why that didn't make it onto RAH.

More realistically, I'd love 2 Hearts Beat As One, Rejoice, God Part II, Staring at The Sun, Stay (Faraway So Close) and A Sort Of Homecoming ... :drool:

I'm guessing that next tour, anything other than the war horses from Boy to War is out. UF has a chance, (Bad and A Sort Of Homecoming), and maybe they'll dig up Mofo and Discotheque if they're on a roll with this new "dancy" stuff that Bono is banging on about.

But I doubt that they'll ditch the staples ... All these fan favs will have to sqeeze into the 2 or so slots they leave open for the rarities :(

First have them return Pride to standard tuning and increase the tempo, then there would really be no need to drop it. Even as a hardcore fan I still love the song and would be totally happy with those changes.

A Sort of Homecoming and The Unforgettable Fire top my list of rarities, but others I'd absolutely love to see and which I'd also consider fairly realistic: A Day Without Me, October, ITABTAW, Seconds, In God's Country (full band), Ultraviolet, Discotheque and LNOE (with extended outro please!!).

Whatever they choose to bring back I'll be more than grateful, but one thing I'm hoping for on the next tour is that they use a new song to segue into Streets ala Please on Popmart...

Last edited:
silkensky said:
First have them return Pride to standard tuning and increase the tempo, then there would really be no need to drop it. Even as a hardcore fan I still love the song and would be totally happy with those changes.

This is my opinion on Pride and Sunday Bloody Sunday. If they did what you are suggesting on both I wouldnt have a problem with either of them being the typical staple like they have been over the last couple of tours. As they stand now, they sound tired and muddy to me.

Back
Top Bottom