The Next Stage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Varitek said:

So there will be a very, very long version of the chunnel and Axver will die of obsession-overload as I would if U2 played Fenway Park?

I saw U2 at Yankee Stadium on the Zoo TV Tour and it was the most surreal combination of things I've ever experienced.

Yes, Axver will die of obsession-overload.

But, Wakefield, let's not lose focus here.....the main advancement here is the Moob Access. Moob Cam will also be provided to passengers on other cars. No, they will not play Passengers tunes while you're on the train.

The best part is, my season tickets give me guaranteed tickets to all Fenway concerts, and it is pretty likely U2 will get there some day. :D

Fenway Park is totally topical to this thread, by the way.

What's the connection?

(nobody else is gonna understand these appellations)

U2 shouldn't just be considered a rock band but a group of artists too. They've had their hands in so many different creative avenues, including broadening the spectrum for live shows. To say the live show was not necessary and enhanced by the creativity of U2's tours is completely rediculous. Whether the stage was as simple as the JT tour, the bombarding nature of media and television for ZooTV, the giant canvas that was the POPMart screen and gaudy oversized props, the soul and simplicity of the heart-shaped Elevation stage, the encompassing and target-symbolism of the Bomb tour, each and every tour's setup fully reflected the band's approach and thesis to the corresponding album.

U2 loves to thematically brand its tours, and I hope it continues, not simply them on a stage without other artistic emphasis. The last two tours have seemed to be focused on themselves being approachable individuals, with the ramps dipping into the crowds and see-through backdrops. Basic lighting techniques definitely help dramatize the performance, ala the flood lights coming on during UTEOTW, NYD or Streets. But I hope, and believe a theme will come along with this album much like the heartache and anguish of dissolved relationships seemed to accompany Achtung Baby. Maybe not the same theme, but something so passionate, focused and tangiable, unlike the collection of songs that ATYCLB and Bomb were. With that, I hope drama will be played up with minimal interference from props. For example, I think one of my favorite live sequences of songs were from ZooTV, Satellite of Love>Dirty Day>Bullet the Blue Sky. Between Bono singing to Lou Reed in the sky, the sheer unbridled force of Dirty Day (there's a pun in there-think of horses), then right into Bullet's rage. Eventhough zootv was based on sensory overload, it didnt dominate those performances; if anything it complimented them and the visuals deepen a meaning the songs were originally written and recorded with.

Last edited:
Axver said:
Big stages with elaborate lighting and visuals:

2. Constrain the setlist, at least in U2's mind.

What if it's like Vertigo tour though ?

We had a big stage setup and mixed setlists.

the new stage design for the AHOY tour will be the upperdeck elements of a destroyer warship. bono will ride the big guns then.

30 shows on the whole tour, but make each one a festival of 1.2 million people.

U2girl said:

What if it's like Vertigo tour though ?

We had a big stage setup and mixed setlists.

Ahem, no. If you live in Europe (and NOT in Dublin or Amsterdam) you really had no mixed up setlists at all. Especially in the 2nd half of the leg, you had an identical setlist night after night. And don't talk about Party Girl being THE difference then.
If you look at the setlists in the rest of the world, this process was a hit in the face for setlist afficionados. On 4th and the spectacular 5th leg U2 proved, they can insert surprises and mixed up setlists also on outdoor shows – something they unfortunately haven't shown in Europe ...

Ahem, I was talking about the whole tour. All 5 legs.

5th leg, aka "U2:18 in stealth mode" leg ?

Yes, but usually your statistical approach regarding a whole tour doesn't count that much, when you attend shows at Berlin and/or Munich – that are nearly identical – and over a year later Saitama in Japan gets three mixed up shows. Nice for Japan, but bad for Germany in a way ...

No spoken words said:

I saw U2 at Yankee Stadium on the Zoo TV Tour and it was the most surreal combination of things I've ever experienced.

The same thing happened to me- I got to be on the floor for the Chicago Vertigo May 10 2005 show. That was the 2nd night they taped the show for the DVD. I grew up and to this day am a diehard Chicago Bulls fan (sorry if your a Knicks fan :wink: )
and I had never been on the floor of the United Center, the Bulls home. I found myself on the floor at center court of the United Center, looking up at all the championship banners and the retired jerseys/ banners of Michael, Scottie, Bob Love and Phil Jackson as U2 is pounding out Electric Co. Live. and the Edge was skipping around the ellipse like a boy who just got his first kiss.

That was absolutely one of the most surreal and flat out coolest events I've ever been able to attend. I almost felt like if the lights went out and U2 stopped playing that the starting lineups could have begun- I imagined all the great events I had seen in that building in person and on TV, that these recordings only add to the history there.

Last edited:
Moser said:
Personally, I'm not a fan of the enclosed heart and circle stages. They seem to small and seem to give the people enclosed a certain VIP advantage..

Jealous?? ;-)
I like the enclosed section upfront. Here in Europe we have it at stadium tours too.. Be out there at the venue early and you're in.. as simple as that..

I hope for an indoor tour in Europe.. Would be cool.

Re: Re: The Next Stage?

wtonis said:

Jealous?? ;-)
I like the enclosed section upfront. Here in Europe we have it at stadium tours too.. Be out there at the venue early and you're in.. as simple as that..

I hope for an indoor tour in Europe.. Would be cool.

doesn't that create a sort a stampede-like effect though? :)

don't get me wrong, I would love that if I lived in Europe, but it does seem things could get out of hand...

the tourist said:

They weren't THAT mixed up.
Maybe not from show-to-show, but comparing what they started with to how they finished setlist-wise, U2 fans got it pretty good last tour.

I want to see U2 do something on stage that somehow involves the Internet and Internet culture. Something that brings up memories of ZooTV but it original at the same time. I saw something on a Rolling Stones DVD where the band had fans vote every night for a song for the Stones to play. It'd be really cool if U2 did something like this, although the votes would have to be a few days earlier than the show so U2 could rehearse for it.

Axver said:

The Joshua Tree was more minimalist and it worked.

All I want is U2 on a stage. I don't want any fancy decorations. Just U2. On a stage. Put the focus entirely on the music and how epic it is by itself. Prove that the music doesn't need to be augmented by visual trappings like ZooTV's large stage. Prove that only the music is necessary to blow people away.

U2, their instruments, their on-stage charisma and energy, and nothing else.

It's a pipedream, but it's a good one.

I agree :up:

combine ZooTV and PopMart!

OR: redue all of the PopMart tour and put it in 3-D!

And have the b-stages extend all the way to the end of the venue. But then Edge would have to sprint back to the main stage before Adam starts New Years Day. Time to start jogging :wink:

I think they got to do a huge tour, something innovative that will put them back to the number 1 spot. While the last tour seemed good, i certainly don't want them to just slowly, slowly downsize the tours and dwindle to nothing. They don't have many tours left, so they have to leave with a bang, and i want to be there to wittness it!

Back
Top Bottom