The Next Stage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:
Not exactly. Concert prices, at least here in the states, are almost tier like given the bands "height", I saw two bands, same venue, same sales, etc one had a big visual element to it, the other had nothing and is a "indie" fave, both the same price.

Well, a bigger show is going to cost more to stage, right? Compare JT stadiums to ZooTV stadiums. So the first point of the ticket price will be to recoup the expenses, and the bigger your stage show, the more you've got to recoup. Then you've got transport costs - looking at it from an Australian perspective, the less it costs U2 to travel, the more likely we are to get gigs, and a smaller stage = less costs. Less costs would equate to cheaper tickets (or simply getting a tour) down here.

This I agree, but honestly shouldn't be that much of a concern, tours are for the most part designed for people to see one or two shows, tours are not designed for the rabid fan.

I've already posted numerous times before that I feel a varied setlist adds something to the concert experience for everyone.

2 hours of looking at the same four dudes playing the same instruments can get boring sometimes.

Only if the guys themselves are boring. When I saw Explosions In The Sky, it was just four guys. The only decoration was a Texas flag over Munaf Rayani's amp. They were absolutely riveting. If you've got stage presence - and we know U2 do - then there isn't an issue here.

So are fireworks, backup singers/ dancers, lazers, etc... but it's always been part of rock music.

Dear God, those suck. I would never see a band with backup singers/dancers.

Rich79 said:
#1 is worth the sacrifice
#2 sure, but no problem as long as they pick a good one to start with.
#3 Maybe less visual focus on the band, but it brings more artistic focus to the music...thus allowing more focus to the band overall.
#4 U2 = no crutches needed
#5 In the eye of the beholder. Maybe some people think concerts are unnecessary to begin with and they are perfectly satisfied with their album versions of songs and need no performances (That's an extreme and I hope nobody feels that way).

Last but not least, you forgot number 6:

6. Are way more bad@$$ to watch!
(wasn't sure if swearing was allowed on the board) :angel:

Swear as fucking much as you bloody well want. :wink:

1. Not if it makes it prohibitively expensive for them to tour your part of the world in the first place!
2. I believe there is no place in rock music for static setlists. I don't feel like having that debate yet again though.
3. I don't think so. I just think it's pointless frills.
4. But they could use it as such, that's the point.
5. Well, it IS unnecessary. You're going to see a band. If you want to see a lighting show, go to the New Year's Eve fireworks or something. Cheaper too.
6. No.

Canadiens1160 said:
I want props. Giant. Props.

406px-U2-LiveInReggioEmilia-19970920-Lemon-WithoutCover.jpg

lemon.jpg

Axver said:

Well, a bigger show is going to cost more to stage, right? Compare JT stadiums to ZooTV stadiums. So the first point of the ticket price will be to recoup the expenses, and the bigger your stage show, the more you've got to recoup. Then you've got transport costs - looking at it from an Australian perspective, the less it costs U2 to travel, the more likely we are to get gigs, and a smaller stage = less costs. Less costs would equate to cheaper tickets (or simply getting a tour) down here.

Oh, I agree. I'm just saying that this doesn't always directly reflect in ticket price.

Axver said:

I've already posted numerous times before that I feel a varied setlist adds something to the concert experience for everyone.
Fair enough, I'm just saying that probably the majority would never even notice. We don't fit in that number.

Axver said:

Only if the guys themselves are boring. When I saw Explosions In The Sky, it was just four guys. The only decoration was a Texas flag over Munaf Rayani's amp. They were absolutely riveting. If you've got stage presence - and we know U2 do - then there isn't an issue here.
I agree, but would they be just as riveting in a larger venue? I've seen great bands that just couldn't pull it off, some have it some don't, that's all I'm saying. That comment wasn't about u2, it was about concerts in general.

Axver said:

Dear God, those suck. I would never see a band with backup singers/dancers.

What about the Flaming Lips' bears?:wink:

Axver said:

The Joshua Tree was more minimalist and it worked.

All I want is U2 on a stage. I don't want any fancy decorations. Just U2. On a stage. Put the focus entirely on the music and how epic it is by itself. Prove that the music doesn't need to be augmented by visual trappings like ZooTV's large stage. Prove that only the music is necessary to blow people away.

U2, their instruments, their on-stage charisma and energy, and nothing else.

It's a pipedream, but it's a good one.

Amen to that.

This is U2 now. Comparing them to an indie rock concert is like watching your favorite movie on a Ipod instead of at the Imax. Watching 4 guys on a stage isn't gonna work for U2 in 2009/10 unless their in a club. There too big and people pay good money to see U2.

I hope they just do something revolutionary. The touring industry needs a U2 tour badly. Who is touring this year anyway?

What if U2 had a 3D screen on the next tour? The crowd is given 3D glasses :wink:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Fair enough, I'm just saying that probably the majority would never even notice. We don't fit in that number.

Even when I'm seeing a band I only casually follow and don't know their setlist, I always hope it's a varied one. I think it adds something to the atmosphere, that the band isn't just going through the same motions they've gone through in hundreds of other cities.

I agree, but would they be just as riveting in a larger venue? I've seen great bands that just couldn't pull it off, some have it some don't, that's all I'm saying. That comment wasn't about u2, it was about concerts in general.

Some probably couldn't, but I don't think anybody here would argue that U2 couldn't. I think U2 would do it extremely well. They have in the past.

zoopop said:
This is U2 now. Comparing them to an indie rock concert is like watching your favorite movie on a Ipod instead of at the Imax. Watching 4 guys on a stage isn't gonna work for U2 in 2009/10 unless their in a club. There too big and people pay good money to see U2.

I love it when people totally misread what I say. No, really, I do. Did I say U2 should play clubs? No, I'm not stupid, U2 are far too huge to play clubs. What I did do is compare them with a style of performing - the focus entirely on the band, their charisma and interaction, and ultimately, the music itself and the listener's experience of it as the central theme. If a band is good enough, and I believe U2 are (and have done so in the past, see Lovetown's minimalistic stage), that could translate perfectly well into the large venues U2 are basically obligated to play.

Axver said:

Even when I'm seeing a band I only casually follow and don't know their setlist, I always hope it's a varied one. I think it adds something to the atmosphere, that the band isn't just going through the same motions they've gone through in hundreds of other cities.

Yes, but if you didn't know the setlist, you wouldn't know any better...

^^^Axver

Did you see ZooTV or Popmart (besides video)?

During those tours there are moments that put the focus on the band. Even when things get video/graphic heavy the music outshines the production. But to do an entire stripped down stadium show just like JT/Lovetown at this time would not blow you away like a U2 show should :wink:

Besides our man Bono once said "The production is just the gift wrapping for the music."

During the the ZooTV and PopMart tours, there was a bunch of props, but they really do enhance the experience.

Sensual orgasm (not sure if I've taken that line from somewhere else). Anyway, I think the larger shows help express U2 as its true creativity.

(Yes, I believe the 90's was when U2 was at its best).

Moser said:
Sensual orgasm (not sure if I've taken that line from somewhere else). Anyway, I think the larger shows help express U2 as its true creativity.

(Yes, I believe the 90's was when U2 was at its best).

Hit the nail right on the head with that statement.

I heartily agree with your second comment, too. If it weren't for 90's U2, they probably wouldn't be my favorite band.

phillyfan26 said:
They tried minimalist as best as they could on Elevation, and failed miserably.

ZooTV/Popmart style FTW :up:

Poor guy. What, were you like 10 when that tour was going down?

I saw U2 during Elevation 5 times. U2 were never looking for minimalist. They were just looking for something completely different from PopMart.

Here's an idea for the next tour. They could perform in-the-round. This way the audience completely surrounds them instead.
But, its not exactly an original idea, so I wouldn't be surprised if U2 actually chose to do this.

I think it's time to move on from both the B-stage and the heart/ellipse (see George Michael's last tour stage for example). Also, I don't think they'll do minimalist because it can't get more minimalist - and better done - than Elevation (unless they only play clubs on the next tour) and to an extent Vertigo (even indoor setup was more flashy, and obviously the stadium stage) - I think they're hungry for big stages again. Just as long as it's not the old bigger is better, the "let's outZooTV Zoo TV" scheme aka Popmart.

I'd like to see them work on what they had been testing pre-Vertigo. Remember the articles on technology that can spread the sound around in a venue ?

The tour can be non stop on the back of a flatbed truck.

Sure there could be some problems when they have to go overseas, but they'll get around it!

bono_man2002 said:
The tour can be non stop on the back of a flatbed truck.

Sure there could be some problems when they have to go overseas, but they'll get around it!

I would KILL to get a ticket on that ferry.

They should play on a train that constantly zig-zags across North America. Put them in the middle car, so it's theater in the round. This will be a double decker train as well, so the car above them will have a transparent floor, so fans can look down Larry's shirt to see his Moobs. The train will figure out a way to cross the Atlantic, stopping at Zoo Station and going around Europe/Asia from there. Hey, Axver, fuck you, they're not coming to Australia or New Zealand, sorry.

No spoken words said:
They should play on a train that constantly zig-zags across North America. Put them in the middle car, so it's theater in the round. This will be a double decker train as well, so the car above them will have a transparent floor, so fans can look down Larry's shirt to see his Moobs. The train will figure out a way to cross the Atlantic, stopping at Zoo Station and going around Europe/Asia from there. Hey, Axver, fuck you, they're not coming to Australia or New Zealand, sorry.

So there will be a very, very long version of the chunnel and Axver will die of obsession-overload as I would if U2 played Fenway Park?

Back
Top Bottom