The NEXT SINGLE??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boosterjuice

Refugee
Let's speculate on what the next single on HTDAAB will be.

I've heard numerous reports that SYCMIOYO is the next single. But has this ever been confirmed? DO we know if the video has even been shot?

We do know that U2 was shooting for the ABOY single in the New York flatbed truck excursion. Could we reasonalby assume that the next single will ABOY? My local radio station claimed that ABOY is the next single. Are they wrong?

Or is the next single going to something else? Maybe COBL, OTTS, or AMAAW?

It will be ABOY in the states because thats the rumour and they just filmed the video for it in new york last week. I think in Europe they said it would be Sometimes.

Hmmmm, I wonder why Europe and US have different single releases? Maybe they see Americans appreciating the rockier stuff more?

RademR, where did you get your info from?

in europe the next single is SYCMIOYO and will be released on 14th feb.

I think this album has many singles that are possible so they will have different singles for different locations around the world much like Joshua Tree did.

This is what I WOULD do

1 - Vertigo
2 - ABOY
3 - SYCMIOYO
4 - MD
5 - COBL

really Achtung Baby single wise

COBL, I think it could be like the WGRYWH video, but more "fan-based"... like a live video, but the song from the CD on the back

they should have relesed KITE live from boston as the 5th, don't you think?

I've heard, from reliable sources, that ABOY, SYCMIOYO and Miracle Drug will be the next single. :eyebrow:

P'haps U2 will release different songs in different countries, like they did with Stuck several years ago, releasing it in Canada when they released Walk On in other parts of the world.

One thing is for certain -- they've been testing the new single live recently, quite a few times. Which one they choose ... well, i don't think U2 has decided yet. :wink:

I think they were shooting the video for ABOY in that Brooklyn show...

In Europe, the new single is Sometimes... and they'll probably switch with ABOY (like they did with Walk on/Stuck).

After that, who knows? Considering what they were playing in the promo shows, COBL and Miracle Drug are most likely singles, next to Vertigo/ABOY/Sometimes.

It will be ABOY here in the US. However, it should be Miracle Drug. It's just a perfect followup to Vertigo. And I don't know if it will be a single or not, but there's no WAY that Man and a Woman can be kept off radio.

LPU2 said:
but there's no WAY that Man and a Woman can be kept off radio.

Nah, it will be kept off the radio...I cant see it being played here in the UK. And hasnt got a chance as a single.

But im glad cos its my fave off the album, and I dont want 'everyone' hearing it!:madspit:

:wink:

They just release singles in order of the album. All of the songs could be singles with the exception of One Step Closer, LAPOE, and, Yahweh.

ABoY, CoBL and SYCMIOYO should be singles. I'm sorry, but MD, while a good song, is not single material. Singles need to be catchy - something that grabs the Top 40. I don't hear this at all in MD. In contrast, I can easily see the songs I mentioned possibly becoming hits.

I dont think Miracle Druge should be a single either. It's my favorite song on the album, but not single material. ABOY, SYCMIOYO or OOTS should be singles.

Lancemc said:
I dont think Miracle Druge should be a single either. It's my favorite song on the album, but not single material. ABOY, SYCMIOYO or OOTS should be singles.

I agree with you. MD is too special to be a single.

Thank you to those who are going against the notion of MD being a good single. I know it seems to be the overwhelming favourite amongst fans, and it's a spectacular song, but it would also be a horrible momentum stopper. As I'm sure some of you have seen with other bands you like, often big fans will declare a favourite, or something they think will make a good single, so the band or record company listens, releases it and it flops. And once a single has flopped, it becomes very, very difficult to regain momentum with the following single. This happens alot -- some great albums have songs with huge single potential, but they never see the radio because of a mistake (momentum stopper) as an earlier (quite often 2nd) single.

You are so right that ABOY, SYCMIOYO, OOTS, COBL (this has the repetitive, can't get that "Oh you look so..." out of my head big-ass chorus that has radio smeared all over it) are the best choices. I suppose AMAAW could work on some adult contemporary stations (ones that ate up Smooth by Santana and such). But please, if MD is a single, please let it go no higher than 5th or the album sales...and interest will drop off. And I for one, like seeing U2 sell 10 million records to shut up some friends of mine.

Wait wait wait a second:

OOTS has more single potential, and less momentum-stopping ability than MD?

Uhh...

And U2 isn't releasing another single to radio until 2005? Talk about momentum stopping right there!

-Miggy D

Actually, you're right Miggy D. My bad. I had OOTS pegged as a single when I first listened cuz at a very high volume it's really great, but at normal volume...likely another momentum stopper. As long as COBL finds its way in there (Sometimes and ABOY are pretty much confirmed to be out there at some point) we should see people buying up the album and boosting them up the charts for the next 12 months.

But yeah...they need a new, official single on radio very soon. Vertigo rose fast and is falling in some places. Hopefully that 2005 business is just for the CD single.

Again, my apologies on the OOTS blunder.

Miracle Drug should not be a single. While a good song, I think it's one of the weakest on the album. But I'm sure with Bono's love of the WORST lyric ever "freedom has a scent...." that he wants to put that out to the world. Why, I do not know.

It's a strong song in the second half. But I think Miracle Drug will have people turning the dial in the first 30 seconds to 1 minute.

OOTS is much better, more catchy. You have to think what people will get stuck in there heads and sing later in the day. It aint Miracle Drug. "Everywhere you go you shout it....." on the other hand gets lodged in my brain for days at a time.

Sometimes..., ABOY, OOTS, COBL, and Crumbs are all much better choices for future singles.

Ok, after listening to Miracle Drug about 5 times in a row. It would be a decent single. Not my first choice but pretty good. Just wish it didn't have that dumb "Freedom has a scent line" Really bothers me.

Back
Top Bottom