The new original of the species is a huge improvement!!! you suck if you disagree.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love the sexual overtones, but I think I already got in trouble for that.

(I kneel because I want you some more...)

typhoon said:
Since the other "Original..." single version thread scrolled off:

Okay, so I watched the Chicago DVD. Do you mean the part under "Everywhere you go, you shout it..."? I like it; it brings out the beauty of that melody and agree it probably would have improved the single version.

(I still think you were setting yourself up for disappointment by expecting something specific, though. If you can get past that, it's not a bad version.)

Yeah, during 'everywhere you go, you shout it, you don't have to be shy about it'. I LOVE the scaled back, keyboard-based versions of the song they played on the first leg, like on the Chicago DVD. I've heard fans, and even Bono himself, I think, say that that scaled back arrangement wasn't the proper way of playing it live, and that the latter full-band versions were the proper way, but I really think the stripped back live versions are the best ones. The keyboard arrangements in those scaled back versions give it a sort Radiohead-ish quality to it. I was never a fan of the big guitar pop song it was on the album. When I get the DVD, I'm going to rip the audio of OOTS, Yahweh, and COBL from it. They are all infinitely better live than on record, and ripping from the DVD is about as good quality sound-wise(soundboard) as I'm gonna find of them at this point, I think.

"rip the audio of OOTS, Yahweh, and COBL from it. They are all infinitely better live than on record, and ripping from the DVD is about as good quality sound-wise(soundboard) as I'm gonna find of them at this point" - those would be the 3 I'd rip too.

MrBrau1 said:
I love the diplomatic tone in the title of this thread.

:lmao: I love the eloquent descriptions of "candy ass" and "gay ass"

The single version seems more...spacey. It's growing on me; it seemed strange to me at first. Still, I think I prefer the album version. The single version has minor improvements but also takes out some of the best parts of the album version (keyboards, acoustic guitar, Edge's one cool lick...). But it's definitely growing on me.

The live versions, no matter which ones, are the best. I think I prefer the full band with guitar, but I'm really, really loving the Chicago DVD performance. I like how it's just Bono and Edge until the second verse. I think if they did that but added in some guitar it'd be absolutely perfect, but OOTS is practically perfect anyway.

MrBrau1 said:
I love the diplomatic tone in the title of this thread.

Isn't it splendid? :up:

I think we should be allowed to call people morons, provided that they are in fact morons. :yes:

Perhaps Bono sounded better on the acoustic live versions, but there's no way this song is at its best without that electric guitar. No way. That is Edge singing to the heavens, and since this song was originally about his daughter (I guess part of it still is), that goes over really big for me.

I could say that Yahweh has been similarly neutered in the live format, because the best part of the song is Edge's guitar after "this love is like a drop in the ocean" leading into the final chorus. Somehow it still works live without it.

And I'm not going to bring up acoustic Wild Horses again because if you like hearing that song turned into a bouncy karaoke nugget like there's no hope left for you. And the Temple Bar mix has always been guilty of the same crime!

If Wild Honey and Wild Horses had sex the resulting song would be the crap I had to sit through at Los Angeles 2 and Vegas 1...

Yes, Lazarus, an Original Of Species with The Edge's guitar "singing to the heavens." I remember hearing a poor quality mp3 of the July 16 Amsterdam performance of it. The Edge was on fire! Can someone post a link for a high quality mp3 of it?

Back
Top Bottom