The Most "Typical" U2 song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discothequeLP

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
What would be the most "typical" U2 song?

My friend asked me one day "send me the most typical U2 song"

I couldn't decide!

After some thought, Ultraviolet is probably the most typical IMO. I don't think that you could say that one of their true hits are typical, because they are so representative of that album/era.

What do you guys think?

hate to be cliche, but i don't think there's one. there's so many different styles when it comes to u2 (ie. compare boy and pop) so there is no typicality, really. however, if you whacked me in teh head with a baseball bat and threatened to do more, i'd say 'One'. anthemic chorus, decent lyrics, and Edge being, well, Edge. but that doesn't really cover half of it.

Ringing repetitive economical guitar sounds.

No "guitar hero" kinda solos.

Drummer boy band inspired kinda drumming.

Simple bass lines.

Few chords.

Anthemic stadium filling shouting choruses.

That's what you get in Pride.

Cheers,

J

pride

it has edge's sig guitar, its uptempo and optimistic, it has a great sing-a-long chorus and it is a classic track.

At first I was thinking "Pride," but since most everyone already knows that song, I guess I'd go with "Staring at the Sun"

...or "Last Night on Earth."

Pride, I Will Follow, New Year's Day, Beautiful Day, maybe Gone.

Hmmmm... just being named in another thread, to me HEARTLAND is a typical U2 song, with a recognizable "U2 sound" to it without being a hit.

So you could send it to your friend... showing him that U2 is much more than the hits...

Pride has the following signature U2 elements:

-boys school band inspired drumming from Larry

-ringing repetitive staying-on-one chord guitar from Edge

-simple bass line for Adam

-non "guitar hero" like guitar solo, but something simple

-anthemic stadium filling chorus from Bono

-sang at a key Bono needs a 100% effort to reach (which makes every performance a challenge for Bono)

-political slant (talks about Martin Luther King)

-religious slant (one man betrayed with a kiss also makes reference to Jesus being kissed by Judas)

I don't see why some people answered NYD. It has a piano to it, U2 has very few songs with the piano, and the drumming is just the typical 8-beat with nothing special. Pride makes use of a floor tom beside the snare, just like WOWY and One, which also makes Larry's drumming quite signature.

Cheers,

J

more recently, i would say "stuck in a moment", and "electrical storm" are typical u2 songs, in that they are not really going into new areas or trying anything new for u2. they sound like songs u2 could have done years ago. i like them, but i just don't think they show any real growth.

Back
Top Bottom