The most powerful version of Streets ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When Bono yells out "America" at the Super Bowl Streets it still gives me chills. Was a plead or question or a calling on?......just amazing.

Pero said:
I have a question. I have a live version of Streets when Bono says in the intro something like this:

"This one was to me like a stream.
Skirt hurt from a word colide above.
The whole body of a man did seem like one good iron man in a dream.
Some bagget claimed to mother roads,
some bagget claimed to mother lands,
of another home, of another home.
Of the streets of no name.

TAKE ME!!"

Tha one is my favourite and always will be, Larry drums like it's the last night on earth. PLEASE HELP

I think 26 December version from Dublin has that intro.

I'm listening to Dec. 31 Streets '89 right now as a matter of fact, so I think it's the appropriate time to post on this topic. While practically any version of Streets makes me completely giddy and melts me to mush (note avatar :)), one of my personal favorites is the Boston 2001 version from the video. The intro is my favorite of all time, and Bono scream into the intro of the song is just sublime. There's really no way to describe it. It's a flawed performance in certain aspects sure, but that's makes it all the more perfect. I don't know if that makes any sense, but it's just stunning either way.

My favorite version is on popheart for the added ending - "then there will be no time for sorrow...."

I think the most moving versions, though, occured on the elevation tour after 9/11, the "city of blinding lights" inspiring version and Super Bowl in particular.

the boston 2001 version has one of the most amazing intros and i would say it ties for best ending with R&H and Sydney Zoo TV for the absolutely most amazing ending.

Pero said:
I have a question. I have a live version of Streets when Bono says in the intro something like this:

TAKE ME!!"

Tha one is my favourite and always will be, Larry drums like it's the last night on earth. PLEASE HELP

December 26th 1989, Dublin.

Lancemc said:
While practically any version of Streets makes me completely giddy and melts me to mush (note avatar :)), one of my personal favorites is the Boston 2001 version from the video. The intro is my favorite of all time, and Bono scream into the intro of the song is just sublime. There's really no way to describe it. It's a flawed performance in certain aspects sure, but that's makes it all the more perfect. I don't know if that makes any sense, but it's just stunning either way.

The Boston DVD Streets intro is very very good too. :happy: Think I'll go listen to my mp3 of it now. :shifty:

Has anyone heard the 2001-11-13 - Los Angeles streets? It sounds good how Edges guitar fades in and out at the start. Also 2001-04-28 - Phoenix he does the same thing in the intro.

sallycinnamon78 said:

HAHAHA! That's great. My housemate had never heard the PSB version (lucky her) and when I [played it to her the other day, the look on her face..!!!!

Streets never fails to knock me sideways. :rockon:

I haven't heard too many live versions of Streets (except for R&H and Please/Streets of Popmart) so I'll just comment on Palace_Hero's comment. Sally: I'm sure I had quite the look on my face too when I heard it for the first time on the Singles collection (PSB: Discography) album that I bought for nostalgia sake. :reject:

By the way, Popmart's Please/Streets might be my fav transition moment ever.

does anyone have the Popheart or perhaps Point Depot versions on their computers?

if so, i will love you forever and grant you three wishes if you wouldnt mind passing them onto my email. i will gladly put anything i get up on YSI

spread the love! any help or info is appreciated!

email: jeffamador@gmail.com

yertle-the-turtle said:
The Pet Shop Boys cover is fantastic, one of my favourite covers ever.

I think I'll go find my copy of 'Discography' now, good stuff...:up:
:ohmy: It makes me giggle.
Neil Tennant: Where the streets have no name- can't take my eyes off of you....
:lmao: Excellent stuff. Lol!

Zootlesque - i'm not surprised to hear that! I went into hysterics when I heard it, it is the campest version of anything since YMCA.

I like the Pet Shop Boys, always have - they do great dark dramapop.I really loved their version of Always On My Mind, Rent was a fantastic song, Heart was good, loads and loads of good songs. It's A Sin was brilliant, but as my last name is Sinha, loads of fools at school used to sing it to me and change the lyrics to include my name- so imaginative.. :rolleyes:

Streets I love. I know I've moaned about this before but I shredded my fingers learning to play it at twice the necessary speed. I was naive and didn't grasp the concept of FX. My guitar teacher was both highly impressed and highly amused.

The only bit of it I'm not too fond of is, on the studio version, the bit at the end after the final chorus where Bono starts adlibbing - it doesn't work for me. But the rest of the song... that intro always gives me goosebumps, it's incredible. :drool:

Last edited:
Pero said:

TAKE ME!!"

That's 26 December 1989. My signature contains part of it. This is how the whole thing goes:

"... His voice to me was like a stream
Scarce heard; nor word from word could I divide;
And the whole body of the man did seem
Like one whom I had met in a dream
Sam Beckett dreamt of other roads
Sam Beckett dreamt of other lands
Of another home, of another home
Where the streets have no name!
Take me, TAKE ME!"

The first four lines are from William Wordsworth's poem Resolution And Independence and the rest are spontaneous lines created by Bono. It is a tribute to Samuel Beckett, a famous Irish poet who died not long before the concert.

The version at Twickenham, London June 2005, the last beats of RTSS fading as the organ intro starts, images of U2 through out the years appear on the screens behind the stage and the crowd go wild!!

I'm surprised no one mentioned this one - there's a couple of shows from Elevation (Fall - Las Vegas, Phoenix) where after Bad Bono sings about 90 seconds from Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, with the whole crowd chanting the chorus. Bono gives the prayer (what can I give back to God...) as the synth transitions into Edge's intro. Awesome!

I always liked Stockholm 1992 esp when he looks at the screen with footage of himself in the desert and says.

"Hey you I remember you!"

12/31/1989 is a contender as well as 12/191987

apterz said:
I'm surprised no one mentioned this one - there's a couple of shows from Elevation (Fall - Las Vegas, Phoenix) where after Bad Bono sings about 90 seconds from Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, with the whole crowd chanting the chorus. Bono gives the prayer (what can I give back to God...) as the synth transitions into Edge's intro. Awesome!

Wow! that sounds really awesome. if you could send me that version that would be great

codeofahero@yahoo.com

Aardvark747 said:
Well, I dont know exactly why - but I love the performence from the Boston gig in 2001....:shrug:

I agree, esp. how they use Bad and 40 to go into it. I get goosebumps everytime that version pops into my head. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom