The most overrated U2 song is...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Right now? City Of Blinding Lights.

Of all time? I honestly can't see. I really don't think stuff like SBS or WOWY or One is overrated because I think they're great.

I have to stand up for Pride now!!!!:

- A song with a beautiful chorus, on top of a great chord-sequence!
- The great full sound Edge produces with this rhythmic guitar-playing. Sound with a big S!
- One of Bono's best singing ever!! Very emotional, on his top range. Like he says in the UF-documentary: "..there's no top, I feel like I can put my head through the ceiling.."
- The sound is very solid, full and tight due to Larry and Adam (and great producing of course..)
- Larry's drumming :drool:
- The snapping, flip-overs, and the growling in Bono's voice from .."a shot rings out.." until ..."they could not take your pride". A lot of things happing here due to Bono's emotion and anger in this part.
- The great climax in the end when the song goes to gear 6. (It already took of in gear 4!)
- Beautiful atmospheric video

So therefore absolutely not-overrated!

Overrated by the Public: One, Streets, Pride, SBS

Overrated by U2 Fans: Mofo, Acrobat, Zoo Station

Overrated by U2: One, Stay, Pride, SBS

Overrated by Me: SDABTO, WOWY, Mercy, Vertigo

Mercy is SO overrated, I personally don't like it much and don't think it's anywhere near the standards of their current stuff and With Or Without You, but that may be because I've heard it one too many times.

there is absolutely NO overrated song, maybe a few overplayed, but not overrated! Many are mentioning PRIDE, SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY, ONE, STILL HAVEN'T FOUND, WITH OR WITHOUT YOU.........................guys, are you all ok?? So is U2 a fake band, or what?! Gold became shit?! What in the bloody hell are you talking about?!?!
RIGHT THESE ARE THE SONGS THAT BROUGHT THEM AT THE TOP!!!
YOU'RE SPITTING IN THE DISH WHERE YOU'RE EATING!! YOU CLAIM THESE SONGS AS OVERRATED?!?!?!?!?

Oh, man, I feel bad.....................................:help:

Last edited:
Acrobat
Mofo
All of Zooropa (but I do love that cd)
Mercy, I've never heard it, but with all the mentioning of it, I never want to
ISHFWILF
and more...
I just don't like how much some people :drool: over certain U2 songs.

By general public?
I Still Haven't Found What Im Looking For, With Or Without You and Beautiful Day, too many people I know seem to think those songs are the be all and end all of U2.

Shame really, as there is so much more to U2 than that...

onyourkneesboy said:
CITY OF WHINING! LIGHTS!!

It's terribly overrated, mostly by U2 fans who, on many occasion resemble it to WTSHNN. Let me tell you: It's not even close to this gem!

The only part in this song I really like is the part Edge and Bono sing together: ..."and I miss you when your not around".

The rest is nothing special.
Especially the thin intro with the slow predictable piano and Edge's most whining slide-guitar riff ever!!!:yawn:

I agree: live it's a little better though...

I agree with this. From when I first heard it, I never got why it was so praised by many fans, it always seemed flat to me, and a bit too obviously trying to be an 80s-style anthem.

One by far, Achtung Baby is my favorite album, but this is probably my 2nd or 3rd least favorite song on that album

catlhere said:

On this forum? Any song off Pop

Mercy and Fast cars too, not bad but 90's U2 ripoffs.
Of course, that means they get drooled over, but a song borrowing from, say, 80's gets bashed.

Bullet the Blue Sky

it was great on ZooTv and Popmart but other than that I just don't like it much at all

and the band regards it as a "fan favorite" too don't they?

LemonMacPhisto said:
Bullet the Blue Sky

it was great on ZooTv and Popmart but other than that I just don't like it much at all

and the band regards it as a "fan favorite" too don't they?
I though it was pretty cool on Rattle&Hum with the whole spotlight and full speech. I don't like the shortened Vertigo version.

I think bullet is pretty overrated though. A little long too. but into RunningTSS it's decent.

I forgot about If You Wear That Velvet Dress. Everyone seems to get all :combust: over how bono sings and hows its "omgzors u2 teh seX0rest song!" but I really think it's boring and not that great, and thats a fact, imo.

catlhere said:

I forgot about If You Wear That Velvet Dress. Everyone seems to get all :combust: over how bono sings and hows its "omgzors u2 teh seX0rest song!" but I really think it's boring and not that great, and thats a fact, imo.

have to agree on this one.

I also think that Please is overrated, at least on this board it is.

Back
Top Bottom