the mix of voices in remastered "gone"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blindinglights

War Child
hi all, i'm a new poster, and i've never seen this exact subject here.
does anyone notice that in the remixed version of gone, it seems like most of the song has redone vocals (post elevation), but then there are some parts of the song where you suddenly hear the old vocal from pop for certain phrases? if you listen closely i think it's very clear where you can hear the distinction. just an interesting thing to listen to.

I always thought the "New" mix of Gone had a completely new vocal from Bono. I'm gonna listen closer. One of U2's best by the way.

i totally agree - particularly the remixed version which is just awesome! pure rock, and the rawness of it is so cool.

Hmmm, I'll have to check it out. I remembered it as being new vocals also.

Regardless, I quite like both the album version and best of mix :up:

It really sounds to me like a mix of new and old vocals. You can hear some slight changes in the EQ, and in the wheeziness/scratchiness in Bono's voice. I sounds like they might have used a different mikes to record the new vocal part. I prefer the POP version to the best-of version.

"What you thought was freedom WAS JUST greed"

"What you thought was freedopm JUST WAS greed"

If I'm not mistaken, Bono sings this line two different ways, leading me to believe there are two vocal takes, one for each version. Has anybody else noticed this?

I always thought that the "New Mix" versions of the Pop songs on the Best of 90-00 were what the band was going to release if they had had a few months extra to finish the cd.

that being said, i love the album version of gone! especially the piano! go Edge go!

I prefer the new mix of Gone personally.

You can here the switch in vocal when he sings "...then your learn to like / the way it feels..." I wonder if that is intentional because if it is obvious to us, it is glaring to a producer!

exactly. that type of voice switch happens a few times, and i'd bet it's done intensionally for whatever reason. i think it's cool. i definitely prefer the new mix, it seems more rock and roll to me. i love the way he holds the really high note "still" of "still holding on" longer than on the original and it sounds crystal clear.

btw, if you guys haven't heard the miracle drug clip, it is highly recommend, sounds amazing despite the awful quality. (provided you're not "fasting" of course) :wink:

Only noticed the added backing vocals on "Goooonnnee" and the effect on Bono's voice towards the end of the song. Personally, I prefer the Best Of version because the additions seem like they were needed, though I already did like the Pop version.

I've never noticed this, actually, and the New Mix of Gone is one of the songs primarily responsible for my absolute obsession today. The Pop mix feels more raw than the Best Of mix, but I feel it lacks ... something. I can't put my finger on it, but the New Mix fixes that up and is a masterpiece.

lmixristhebest said:
It really sounds to me like a mix of new and old vocals. You can hear some slight changes in the EQ, and in the wheeziness/scratchiness in Bono's voice. I sounds like they might have used a different mikes to record the new vocal part. I prefer the POP version to the best-of version.

Bono never uses different mics. He sticks to his Shure58. So if there is any difference, it is not attributable to the mic but to Bono's ever-changing voice (thanks to booze and nicotene).

Cheers,

J

It probably is a mix of two different vocals. But let's not forget, Edge's backing vocal layered with Bono's "I'm not coming down" is probably the biggest improvement with the new mix...the new mix sounds more like the live versions they've played of this song.

One of my all-time favorite U2 songs.

Both versions are good, but I definitely prefer the original POP version.. the original has an ethereal quality vs. the more raw rock version of the "Best Of". Can't believe they took out the original soaring "747" guitar in the last "..I'll be up with the sun". That's what made the original for me.

Ha! Guess what .....My wife hates the new version and leaves the room when its on, and I hate the old version! Aaaah married life..................:love: :madspit:

brownda7 said:
Ha! Guess what .....My wife hates the new version and leaves the room when its on, and I hate the old version! Aaaah married life..................:love: :madspit:

I prefer the new version too
Made me thinking...should I ask mi girlfriend first
which version she likes before I give her my yes-word...

Last edited:
blindinglights said:
hi all, i'm a new poster, and i've never seen this exact subject here.
does anyone notice that in the remixed version of gone, it seems like most of the song has redone vocals (post elevation), but then there are some parts of the song where you suddenly hear the old vocal from pop for certain phrases? if you listen closely i think it's very clear where you can hear the distinction. just an interesting thing to listen to.

yeah, i've noticed it, too, it's very clear, and it's a pure crap! it ruines completely the song

Back
Top Bottom