The middle of the Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
The first 4 songs of JT are the glory-hounds of the album. When I first got the album about 17 years ago (jeeeez, that's insane), I knew nothing of the world and would often stop listening after Bullet. But now there are days when I'll skip ahead to track number 5 and ride the glory on out from there.

-Running To Stand Still
-Red Hill Mining Town
-In God's Country
-Trip Through Your Wires
-One Tree Hill

The Trinity and Bullet get all the attention, and Streets is indeed perhaps the greatest song....but it's these middle 5 that make the album for me. :drool:

I usually clump the first 5 songs together. I feel more of a split between Running and Red Hill myself.

Chizip said:
Trip is the only blemish in there

Yep. I never did like that song. The others in that group are lovely though.

Yup I group the first 5 together aswell. I'm not actually that fond of RHMT and TTYW is easily the weakest track on the album (though not a weak track overall). But nothing can beat that grouping: In God's Country, One Tree Hill, Exit and MOTD. Still I suppose I must have sub conciously revolted against the albums first 5 tracks because I've heard them that much. Streets can never get old however :drool:

Utoo said:
But now there are days when I'll skip ahead to track number 5 and ride the glory on out from there.

-Running To Stand Still
-Red Hill Mining Town
-In God's Country
-Trip Through Your Wires
-One Tree Hill

I couldnt agree with you more :up: (I do the same thing lol).

Utoo said:
The first 4 songs of JT are the glory-hounds of the album. When I first got the album about 17 years ago (jeeeez, that's insane), I knew nothing of the world and would often stop listening after Bullet. But now there are days when I'll skip ahead to track number 5 and ride the glory on out from there.

-Running To Stand Still
-Red Hill Mining Town
-In God's Country
-Trip Through Your Wires
-One Tree Hill

The Trinity and Bullet get all the attention, and Streets is indeed perhaps the greatest song....but it's these middle 5 that make the album for me. :drool:

This is my favorite album of all time, I love the whole thing. TTYW is not a blemish to me, not at all. Perhaps not their greatest effort, but, nothing to be ashamed of. Anyway, I agree with the above, that stretch is probably my favorite 5 song stretch. Red Hill Mining Town and One Tree Hill, especially, do the trick for me. I cannot even begin to count how many times I've listened to this album, wow.

Utoo said:

-Running To Stand Still
-Red Hill Mining Town
-In God's Country
-Trip Through Your Wires
-One Tree Hill

For a small moment in time, I shall crown you *my favorite poster on Interference*

utoo, i couldn't agree more.
lol as you put it, "the trinity and bullet" are great songs, but the joshua tree would not be a great album without these 5 songs. the connect the whole thing together, and develop and solidify the atmosphere/theme while sounding hauntingly beautiful all at the same time.
for me, JT is a masterpiece not b/c it's a collection of great songs like HTDAAB or ATYCLB, but because the songs work together to create a whole.

Face it, people; the Joshua Tree NEEDS Trip Through Your Wires. Otherwise it would be a lovely bore. Think of what songs surround it...Trip is in the perfect spot to add a shot of life into the record, which it does. :drool: :drool: :drool:

I totally agree. I love to hear JT on vynil and just put the B-side (it starts at RHMT). I think it is the strongest side of any U2 record (it would lose to TUF if Bad and Pride had their places switched, though).

Back
Top Bottom