The majestic POP album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacobus

Refugee
its 11.44a.m. in central europe and i'm at work at the moment.
sitting in front of my screen and listening to the majestic POP album. what a fuckin brilliant album. POP is full of rock and full of soul and full of adorable great lyrics. i'm blown away... its U2s last great record.

:rockon: :bow: :applaud:

It's 11.26 in London, I'm at work, and I wish I was listening to the fucking excellent POP album!!
It is truly majestic and in my opinion they acheived everything they set out to. The whole mood, atmosphere, groove of the album is spot on. So mamy layers! Peeling off the flashy, illuminous surface you uncover the darkest of all U2 albums, it blows me away everytime!
In my opinion the real masterstroke was Wake Up Dead Man!! What a way to end an album!!!!

Totally agree U2 LAST GREATEST ALBUM ever!!!

and we will never see an epic album by U2 again because they are scared now like little girls!!!

i might get killed for saying this but i think u2 sucks now!!!
:sad:

Last edited:
shaun vox said:
Totally agree U2 LAST GREATEST ALBUM ever!!!

and we will never see an epic album by U2 again because they are scared now like little girls!!!

i might get killed for saying this but i think u2 sucks now!!!
:sad:

They far from suck, but they're far from being the creative risk-taking force that would put out diverse and interesting albums from one moment to the next without sacrificing their soul to clearchannel and integrity for airplay and grammy awards.

I put Pop up there with UF, flawed but great. Next step down from JT and AB, but far in front of u2-by-the-numbers of HTDAAB

U2Scot said:

They far from suck, but they're far from being the creative risk-taking force that would put out diverse and interesting albums from one moment to the next without sacrificing their soul to clearchannel and integrity for airplay and grammy awards.

I put Pop up there with UF, flawed but great. Next step down from JT and AB, but far in front of u2-by-the-numbers of HTDAAB
:yawn: yet another pop love fest, along with the old "U2 arent as good as they were" people trying to tell me i HAVE to think that certain albums are more creative than others,

pop is a great album, but creative? all the band done was follow the electro rock of the 90's,

KUEFC09U2 said:
all the band done was follow the electro rock of the 90's,

Honestly i don't understand these kind of comment when i think about If God will send his angel, Staring at the Sun, If you wear that velvet dress or Wake up Dead Man ... which form 1/4 of the album.
Maybe you should explain me what's electro rock of the 90's, but personnaly I find in POP as many quite songs as trully rocking songs (or even electro songs).

(And I love it :rockon: :angel: )

It's 11:39 AM in the heartland of America and I'm at school and not listening to Pop.

But it is probably the greatest album ever.

It's a very good album no doubt. Their last great record, what a ridiculous suggestion.

Certainly the last album to be completely disowned by U2 though...

HTDAAB is a great album, but I would put Pop above JT.

More sexual (well it bloody turns me on), experimental, personal. I think the band were going through some personal problems at the time, especially after the long Zoo tv tour. I think it's very raw and personal.

Pop is amazing. It's anything but airy. It's not really as electronic and out there as people seem to say it is, in my opinion anyway. Bono has said that the first three songs are the party, and the rest is the hangover. He's right. He's said that Pop is "fucking black", and he's right. Even the most upbeat songs on the album have dark desperation lurking in the lyrics. Pop is dark, Pop is gritty, Pop is amazing.

We're in 2006, and I still hear comments like: "POP is techno" or "that's the U2 dance music album"...:huh:
Come on, don't they remember SATS or LNOE or IGWSHA? POP's not the Discotheque video...

TripThroughWire said:

Honestly i don't understand these kind of comment when i think about If God will send his angel, Staring at the Sun, If you wear that velvet dress or Wake up Dead Man ... which form 1/4 of the album.
Maybe you should explain me what's electro rock of the 90's, but personnaly I find in POP as many quite songs as trully rocking songs (or even electro songs).

(And I love it :rockon: :angel: )

Pop is hard rock with the occasional loops and effects thrown in, hardly the same as the "techno rock of the 90's"

LOL!!!

DreamOutLoud13 said:
Pop is amazing. It's anything but airy. It's not really as electronic and out there as people seem to say it is, in my opinion anyway. Bono has said that the first three songs are the party, and the rest is the hangover. He's right. He's said that Pop is "fucking black", and he's right. Even the most upbeat songs on the album have dark desperation lurking in the lyrics. Pop is dark, Pop is gritty, Pop is amazing.

:up: I didn't feel like writing a dissertation on why I love Pop, but I could if you wanted me to... :wink: that was a good way of summing it up, though. I think the album is a masterpiece. U2 pushing their own limits yet still being U2.

AtomicBono said:

:up: I didn't feel like writing a dissertation on why I love Pop, but I could if you wanted me to... :wink: that was a good way of summing it up, though. I think the album is a masterpiece. U2 pushing their own limits yet still being U2.

and still ROCKING, that was their last rock album

KUEFC09U2 said:
:yawn: yet another pop love fest, along with the old "U2 arent as good as they were" people trying to tell me i HAVE to think that certain albums are more creative than others,

pop is a great album, but creative? all the band done was follow the electro rock of the 90's,

No one telling you that you HAVE to think anything at all, mighty sensitive Echo and the Baren't we ?

And no, U2 are NOT as good as they were, Led Zeppelin weren't as good as they were by the time their career ended, Echo and the Bunnymen are a pale former shadow of their once mighty selves and etc, come to think of it there's a lot of stuff I can't do when I was 25 years younger and at my first U2 show either.

POP is a truly brilliant album. Some great sounds and really calssic songs. I really like the fact that it was left as it was and rushed to finish because I think it's been heavily enough produced already. SO leave it alone U2! Last Night On Earth will always be on my Best Of.

An Cat Gav said:
So mamy layers!

What a brilliant typo - makes POP sound all the better - Mammy layers - MIAMI!

AtomicBono said:

Be honest, if Pop were a human, would you marry it?

To think of all the great records I could have listened to or found instead of wasting my time trying to find brilliance in POP....

What a brilliant typo - makes POP sound all the better - Mammy layers - MIAMI!- PookaMacP

Wish I could say I meant to type that, but I didn't :)

U2Scot said:

No one telling you that you HAVE to think anything at all, mighty sensitive Echo and the Baren't we ?

And no, U2 are NOT as good as they were, Led Zeppelin weren't as good as they were by the time their career ended, Echo and the Bunnymen are a pale former shadow of their once mighty selves and etc, come to think of it there's a lot of stuff I can't do when I was 25 years younger and at my first U2 show either.
but you are because your now saying NO U2 arent as good as they were, when many still think they are?

the album is called POP but its more rock than ATYCLB and HTDAAB combined!!

and yes u2 are not as good as they use to be, both on album and live!!!(its happens to all, its called getting old!!)

the only person that is defining this nature is michael jackson (he still rocks) how he still has his voice is a mystery to all!!

BigMacPhisto said:
To think of all the great records I could have listened to or found instead of wasting my time trying to find brilliance in POP....

You couldn't have done both ?

Back
Top Bottom