The majestic POP album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Discoteque cideo is before its time.
Now Madonna makes a disco album and videos and becomes very popular, HELLO!!! U2 did that 9 years ago(it's nine already)

Pero said:
Discoteque cideo is before its time.
Now Madonna makes a disco album and videos and becomes very popular, HELLO!!! U2 did that 9 years ago(it's nine already)
Nah, U2 just didn't do it right. I mean, sure Bono was humping the camera, but that wasn't enough. If Bono had been prancing around in a leotard and high heels, and grinding with some guy half his age, then it might have been popular :wink:

DreamOutLoud13 said:

Be honest, if Pop were a human, would you marry it?

Yes. But since Bono's human and he helped make Pop, I could just marry him instead :wink:

I wouldn't say Pop was U2's last rock album, necessarily. HTDAAB is pretty rockin', imo - Vertigo, LAPOE, and ABOY are straight up rock. Vertigo, especially, is one of the most simply rock songs U2 has ever done. Miracle Drug, City, and Crumbs are somewhat rocking as well. However, I do think that Pop is possibly U2's most heavy rock album (well, perhaps second to Achtung) - Discotheque, Do You Feel Loved, Mofo, Last Night on Earth, Gone, Miami... I think maybe the difference between HTDAAB and Pop is production. I know everyone says it, but HTDAAB just sounds so polished and squeaky clean. It's too clean. Too bright. Pop has a ton of production as well, but it doesn't live up to its name. It's not very poppy at all. The album is very layered and has so many sounds going through it, yet somehow it still comes across to me as raw in a way. I can't quite explain it. It's just a feeling. It doesn't really come across as unfinished to me, though. I imagine a more finished Pop would sound like the new versions on the Best Of, which were basically cleaner versions of the songs. I enjoyed the new mixes, but I think they took away a certain atmosphere that hangs over Pop.

AtomicBono said:

I wouldn't say Pop was U2's last rock album, necessarily. HTDAAB is pretty rockin', imo - Vertigo, LAPOE, and ABOY are straight up rock. Vertigo, especially, is one of the most simply rock songs U2 has ever done. Miracle Drug, City, and Crumbs are somewhat rocking as well. However, I do think that Pop is possibly U2's most heavy rock album (well, perhaps second to Achtung) - Discotheque, Do You Feel Loved, Mofo, Last Night on Earth, Gone, Miami... I think maybe the difference between HTDAAB and Pop is production. I know everyone says it, but HTDAAB just sounds so polished and squeaky clean. It's too clean. Too bright. Pop has a ton of production as well, but it doesn't live up to its name. It's not very poppy at all. The album is very layered and has so many sounds going through it, yet somehow it still comes across to me as raw in a way. I can't quite explain it. It's just a feeling. It doesn't really come across as unfinished to me, though. I imagine a more finished Pop would sound like the new versions on the Best Of, which were basically cleaner versions of the songs. I enjoyed the new mixes, but I think they took away a certain atmosphere that hangs over Pop.

Thats how I feel as well with Pop, its really hard to explain how Pop sound. Great post.

MrBrau1 said:
Pop is more produced than HTDAAB.

Or ATYCLB for that matter.

Pop was worked, and worked, and worked, and worked.

Yeah sure! IGWSHA and Please are such over produced songs! :rolleyes:

namkcuR said:

No way in hell.

I completely 100% disagree.

You think Pop was a "Live Record"

1 take, keep things simple, strip it back, limited overdubs?

They had Howie B throwing loops and samples all over the place. Stupid fucking drum machines and processed tape sounds all over the place.

You may love it, and I like it, but it's produced to the max. Everything but the kitchen sink is on there.

MrBrau1 said:

it does have a lot of production, which I pointed out. But it worked for Pop, and imo it didn't work for HTDAAB. but it's all down to personal preference.

MOOOOOOOOFOOOOOOO :rockon:

^ Yeah...

Pop is my favourite U2 album at the moment (and has been for the past few months). They haven't managed to top it with either ATYCLB or HTDAAB - I hope they'll do something slightly more experimental for the next album....

Total U2 Nut said:
^ Yeah...

Pop is my favourite U2 album at the moment (and has been for the past few months). They haven't managed to top it with either ATYCLB or HTDAAB - I hope they'll do something slightly more experimental for the next album....

I don't see it, UNLESS they all as a BAND commit to it 100%, rather than trying to fit an album into Bono's activism schedule.

ATYCLB and HTDAAB between them could make up one great album, I just think they need to commit to the music, but I'm certainly nogt going to fault Bono for what he does, but another mediocre cookie-cutter album like HTDAAB will be the end result if he doesnt rebalance his schedule

MrBrau1 said:

There is a difference between layering and overproduction. Pop is heavily layered but the production is more raw. HTDAAB is heavily overproduced but w/o as many layers. Although, I do not think ATYCLB was overproduced; I think it sounds about right. Despite being bored by some songs on the second half of the album, I have to give kudos to Eno and Lanois.

What pisses me off is despite how every level in HTDAAB is turned up way too high, they still can't get rid of the popping noise at the beginning of Crumbs. :tsk:

They realized great singles mostly, Please and If God Will Send His Angels single versions are better than the album ones, and Gone new mix is also excellent with Edge's backing vocals. Pop is definitely one of their best albums

The over-production on Pop works to its advantage--on HTDAAB it works to its disadvantage because the songs are so different in character. The voice layering I never noticed in Pop (Discotheque) pisses the HELL out of me in HTDAAB, so much that I actually can't listen to songs where Bono's voice is layered, i.e. Crumbs and Yahweh. Furthermore, Pop gains additional dimensions live, while HTDAAB does not. Pop is flawed, and I do wish they had more time to work on it because I think it could have been a masterpiece, but it is also amazing the way it is.

Pop is also one of the four U2 albums I actulaly enjoy listening to in its original state, all the way through, probably behind JT and Zooropa and in front of AB.

Last edited:
POP to me soars majestically for seven songs then falls to its death, those last five songs kill what for me could have been a the best U2 album ever, good start though, Discotheque and Do You Feel Loved [ the best single there never was], but sadly and i can remember when i first heard it, thinking after the first few songs they cant carry this on this forever and sadly Miami onwards proved that right in my opinion, theres enough on it to listen to, shame though.

The best thing about these kinds of threads is they make me want to go and listen to these albums again.

For years. . .YEARS . . .I hated Pop. Hated it. Didn't own it (even now I only have a burned copy made for me by a friend though this summer I will finally buy the album). Didn't want to. But last summer I listend to it for the first time in a long time and I finally "got it." Now, I've come to appreciate it, and it is steadily growing on me. I'm really coming to respect the album and what they tried to do. They really did explore the outer limits with that album. I like how that album just surprises you, you know. There are all kinds of things to discover there--little melodies etc that you find like gems over repeated listenings.

I think HTDAAB is technically more "rock" than Pop was but Pop had more of a rock sensiblity and "attitude" to it than perhaps any U2 album ever.

zoobeatle said:
POP to me soars majestically for seven songs then falls to its death, those last five songs kill what for me could have been a the best U2 album ever, good start though, Discotheque and Do You Feel Loved [ the best single there never was], but sadly and i can remember when i first heard it, thinking after the first few songs they cant carry this on this forever and sadly Miami onwards proved that right in my opinion, theres enough on it to listen to, shame though.

If you are saying 'Please' and 'Wake Up Dead Man' kill the record, then I must respond with :shocked:

Overall, the 2nd half of Pop is weaker than the first.

However, I feel the same could be said of almost all of their albums.

Please is one of the best songs ever created by U2. Im sad they never play it anymore (just like the whole POP album!!)

POP for me is the best album U2 has made.

It just grabbed me and never let go anymore.

Every song on the album has it's highs. (Maybe 2 weaker ones).

Viva la POP! And the latest signs from U2 (Bono shorter hair again, The edge going back POP look) i would love too see another POP album. :drool:

schnumi said:
Please is one of the best songs ever created by U2. Im sad they never play it anymore (just like the whole POP album!!)

POP for me is the best album U2 has made.

It just grabbed me and never let go anymore.

Every song on the album has it's highs. (Maybe 2 weaker ones).

Viva la POP! And the latest signs from U2 (Bono shorter hair again, The edge going back POP look) i would love too see another POP album. :drool:

What 2 weaker ones are you talking about?

Miami i think could have had some more work and Playboy Mansion.

Miami live was much better then the album version.

Also keep in mind that POP was actually a rushed album and still it sounds amazing.

t8thgr8 said:
the last half is as brilliant as the first. you just have to wait until it hits you in the head.
Indeed you need to get through the songs so to say to find the greatness.

But anyone saying Please isnt great is in my eyes out of their mind.

Back
Top Bottom