The Lovetown appreciation thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
stagman said:
Lovetown totally ROCKED!!!!:drool: :rockon:

Perfomances of the following songs were totally awesome and among the greatest efforts they've ever done.

God Part II
Desire
All Along The Watchtower
Hawkmoon269
All I Want Is You
One Tree Hill

God Part II --> Desire --> All Along The Watchtower was one of the most rocking creations U2 has ever done. :rockon: Sheer awesomeness! :rockon:

Hawkmoon 269's slide solo was just so amazing, and that song should have been played so much more often.

And we all know just how much I love One Tree Hill on Lovetown!

Go play the show!

One Tree Hill and Streets are simply outstanding. And God Part II opening ... :drool: :rockon:

No, 26-12 is definitely the better show. Three reasons:

1. ONE TREE HILL!
2. Resolution And Independence in the Streets intro.
3. God Part II opening.

Axver said:
Go play the show!

One Tree Hill and Streets are simply outstanding. And God Part II opening ... :drool: :rockon:
hmmm...decisions, decisions. on one hand i just put on a really good album. on the other hand i've listened to it more recently than the lovetown boot. :hmm:

KhanadaRhodes said:

hmmm...decisions, decisions. on one hand i just put on a really good album. on the other hand i've listened to it more recently than the lovetown boot. :hmm:

Well, what do you expect me to tell you? :wink:

LOVETOWN LOVETOWN LOVETOWN! :rockon:

Duuuuuuuublin town!

*knows the entire Lovetown schedule off by heart*

KhanadaRhodes said:

seriously? oh man i don't think i know anyone's schedule that well! then again my memory has been total shit the last two months since my concussion :mad:

Ouch, concussion? Sorry to hear about that.

Now time to show off. Yes, I have an absurdly good memory. For Pi Day back on 14 March, I recited Pi to 353 decimal places, if that gives you any idea.

- 21 September 1989, Perth, Western Australia
- 22 September 1989, Perth, Western Australia
- 23 September 1989, Perth, Western Australia
- 27 September 1989, Sydney, New South Wales
- 28 September 1989, Sydney, New South Wales
- 29 September 1989, Sydney, New South Wales
- 2 October 1989, Brisbane, Queensland
- 3 October 1989, Brisbane, Queensland
- 4 October 1989, Brisbane, Queensland
- 7 October 1989, Melbourne, Victoria
- 8 October 1989, Melbourne, Victoria
- 9 October 1989, Melbourne, Victoria
- 12 October 1989, Melbourne, Victoria
- 13 October 1989, Melbourne, Victoria
- 14 October 1989, Melbourne, Victoria
- 16 October 1989, Melbourne, Victoria
- 20 October 1989, Sydney, New South Wales
- 21 October 1989, Sydney, New South Wales
- 27 October 1989, Adelaide, South Australia
- 28 October 1989, Adelaide, South Australia
- 4 November 1989, Christchurch, New Zealand
- 8 November 1989, Wellington, New Zealand
- 10 November 1989, Auckland, New Zealand
- 11 November 1989, Auckland, New Zealand
- 17 November 1989, Sydney, New South Wales
- 18 November 1989, Sydney, New South Wales
- 19 November 1989, Sydney, New South Wales
- 23 November 1989, Yokohama, Japan
- 25 November 1989, Tokyo, Japan
- 26 November 1989, Tokyo, Japan
- 28 November 1989, Osaka, Japan
- 29 November 1989, Osaka, Japan
- 1 December 1989, Osaka, Japan
- 11 December 1989, Paris, France
- 12 December 1989, Paris, France
- 14 December 1989, Dortmund, Germany
- 15 December 1989, Dortmund, Germany
- 16 December 1989, Dortmund, Germany
- 18 December 1989, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 26 December 1989, Dublin, Ireland
- 27 December 1989, Dublin, Ireland
- 30 December 1989, Dublin, Ireland
- 31 December 1989, Dublin, Ireland
- 5 January 1990, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- 6 January 1990, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- 9 January 1990, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- 10 January 1990, Rotterdam, The Netherlands

There were also meant to be concerts on the following dates:
- 22, 24, 25 October 1989, Sydney
[I THINK those were the dates. The 22nd may have been the 23rd, I haven't seen much at all written about the postponed Sydney shows.]
- 19, 20 December 1989, Amsterdam
- 29 December 1989, Dublin

Axver said:

Now time to show off. Yes, I have an absurdly good memory. For Pi Day back on 14 March, I recited Pi to 353 decimal places, if that gives you any idea.
yeah, i was in a really bad car wreck a couple months ago. i'd say i don't know how you missed all the threads about it, but you never really venture outside of eykiw and the tour forums. :wink:

i have a good memory too, but only for the stupid crap. i can remember obscure facts like why mayonnaise was invented, but i can't remember stuff i actually need to know.

but 353 decimal places? impressive! :wink: (yes i'm well aware i abuse this smilie)

KhanadaRhodes said:

yeah, i was in a really bad car wreck a couple months ago. i'd say i don't know how you missed all the threads about it, but you never really venture outside of eykiw and the tour forums. :wink:

Well, now's the time to imagine that back when that happened, I wished you well and all that in those threads I missed! I hope everything's alright now.

And I so do venture out of EYKIW and the tour forums! I lurk and sometimes post on FYM and would post on Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills if I had more knowledge! OK, so that doesn't really count as venturing out much, does it? Heh. I'm bloody thankful for the tour forums: they gave me somewhere other than EYKIW to go! Setlist forum ... :up: :up:

i have a good memory too, but only for the stupid crap. i can remember obscure facts like why mayonnaise was invented, but i can't remember stuff i actually need to know.

but 353 decimal places? impressive! :wink: (yes i'm well aware i abuse this smilie)

My memory is a sponge and soaks up everything. I honestly wonder when it's going to give out on me, especially as I abused it all through high school. True story: night before my last (and very important) Geography exam, my friend phoned me to quiz my knowledge and I didn't know a thing. So I spent 30 minutes studying while rocking along to the DVD of 28 August 1993, and the next day, not only did I finish the exam an hour before anyone else, I beat the whole class by a good margin.

I remember the most useless stuff, truly. Knowing why mayonnaise was invented seems useful compared to the setlist facts that are in my brain! One of these days, I should put my memory to good use and write some best-seller on history or politics or something.

And I really do ramble sometimes, don't I?

Axver said:
Well, now's the time to imagine that back when that happened, I wished you well and all that in those threads I missed! I hope everything's alright now.
thanks. things are getting there. the concussion still bothers me (i feel lightheaded if i bend over) and my knee is fractured by no one wants to deal with me. my mom would probably be killing me if she saw i'm doing laundry and the litter boxes tonight (i bet i'm the only person to say they'd get yelled at for cleaning their apartment). and of course there's the big "that fucking asshole who hit me totalled my beloved car so now i don't have one" thing. but other than that, yeah i'm okay. i'm just thankful i'm able to sit here and talk about it. :D

Axver said:
And I so do venture out of EYKIW and the tour forums! I lurk and sometimes post on FYM and would post on Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills if I had more knowledge! OK, so that doesn't really count as venturing out much, does it? Heh. I'm bloody thankful for the tour forums: they gave me somewhere other than EYKIW to go! Setlist forum ... :up: :up:
heh, yeah, i lurk in fym too. i never post there anymore because i got scared off over a year ago :yikes: you should post in io. we can always use fresh brains :drool:

Axver said:
My memory is a sponge and soaks up everything. I honestly wonder when it's going to give out on me, especially as I abused it all through high school. True story: night before my last (and very important) Geography exam, my friend phoned me to quiz my knowledge and I didn't know a thing. So I spent 30 minutes studying while rocking along to the DVD of 28 August 1993, and the next day, not only did I finish the exam an hour before anyone else, I beat the whole class by a good margin.
heh, i am kinda similar in that way where i can be listening to music and still be able to focus on other stuff. when i was in school, i'd always be listening to music while studying and when i'd be driving, i'd have the music up really loud. when i was younger and had to have my mom in the car with me when i drove, she'd yell at me for saying the music was too loud and i couldn't concentrate. i couldn't get her to understand that the music helped me concentrate. i don't know how, but it did. i have to have music on at all times. to me peace and quiet means having music on and chilling, not sitting in the room in silence eating or reading a book.

come to think of it, my brain is kind of a sponge too. i never studied in school but i always made good grades. oh wait, that doesn't mean my brain is a sponge, it means i'm a geek. :loser:

Axver said:
I remember the most useless stuff, truly. Knowing why mayonnaise was invented seems useful compared to the setlist facts that are in my brain! One of these days, I should put my memory to good use and write some best-seller on history or politics or something.
in case you didn't know, mayonnaise was invented to hide the nasty taste of rotted meat before refrigeration existed. so there's your useful fact for the day!

Axver said:
And I really do ramble sometimes, don't I?
not as much as some of my relatives do! everyone on my mom's side are big talkers (i guess i kinda inherited it, huh? my dad's side aren't and i can be like that if i'm around people i don't know well.) so i'm used to people going on for hours about seemingly nothing. i've been guilty of this many a time. like with this post for instance!

KhanadaRhodes said:

thanks. things are getting there. the concussion still bothers me (i feel lightheaded if i bend over) and my knee is fractured by no one wants to deal with me. my mom would probably be killing me if she saw i'm doing laundry and the litter boxes tonight (i bet i'm the only person to say they'd get yelled at for cleaning their apartment). and of course there's the big "that fucking asshole who hit me totalled my beloved car so now i don't have one" thing. but other than that, yeah i'm okay. i'm just thankful i'm able to sit here and talk about it. :D

:hug: Glad it wasn't any more serious, and that things are improving.

And ha, I think if I ever cleaned my room, someone will yell at me because it will no longer be 'Andréish'. I keep organised chaos. It's not regular mess but it sure doesn't look tidy!

heh, yeah, i lurk in fym too. i never post there anymore because i got scared off over a year ago :yikes: you should post in io. we can always use fresh brains :drool:

I've posted occasionally, but often what I think has already been said or I fear I'll get eaten alive for my opinion or I just don't feel intelligent enough to contribute (which may surprise many of my friends who think I'm one of the smartest blokes they know, but I often feel intimidated and unsure of myself).

heh, i am kinda similar in that way where i can be listening to music and still be able to focus on other stuff. when i was in school, i'd always be listening to music while studying and when i'd be driving, i'd have the music up really loud.

I cannot STAND to study in silence. It drives me mad. There was this one point during exam block when my school decided to make us stay in the big exam room even if we didn't have an exam, and the silence was maddenning. I have to have music on. Especially when I'm writing. I have specific playlists designed for writing - my Extended UF is what I usually use, but I sometimes put on an Expanded JT, and I have one particular playlist for when I'm writing major action scenes and the like with really dark songs (Alex Descends Into Hell, Acrobat, etc).

And regarding driving, I know a few others who are like you. I like to have music on when I'm in the car, but I'm always the passenger (I can't see well enough to drive) so it's kind of different. I remember when my mother went through this phase of hating all noise while driving and it was frustrating for me - and now she's in a phase when she needs some noise, but because the radio in our car's all but dead, all she can get is this talkback/oldies station that plays music I hate. I mean, I've nothing against old music, I can really enjoy some of it, but they make the WORST selections. I'm sure most people here would consider their current idea of playing every song from every Beatles album to be an improvement in programming, but I think it just makes the station worse.

come to think of it, my brain is kind of a sponge too. i never studied in school but i always made good grades. oh wait, that doesn't mean my brain is a sponge, it means i'm a geek. :loser:

I was notorious at high school. I was equal top of my grade. Comparison.

Person #1: her whole life revolved around good marks. Spent as much time as she could studying.
Person #2: studied at least three hours a night.
Me: Never studied, never did homework, didn't try, didn't care.

Oh, and I did harder subjects. I'm such a generork sometimes. Yes, generork. I got so confused with geek, nerd, and dork that I just combined all three into an all-purpose word.

in case you didn't know, mayonnaise was invented to hide the nasty taste of rotted meat before refrigeration existed. so there's your useful fact for the day!

You know, I'd actually heard that before. This time, I'll make sure to remember it!

not as much as some of my relatives do! everyone on my mom's side are big talkers (i guess i kinda inherited it, huh? my dad's side aren't and i can be like that if i'm around people i don't know well.) so i'm used to people going on for hours about seemingly nothing. i've been guilty of this many a time. like with this post for instance!

I'm known for being very rambletastic. I can just go on and on and on. It's absurd. I don't know how my girlfriend puts up with me. See, look at this thread - give me an inch, and I'll ramble off for about ten thousand miles. I don't even know who I got it from! I think it's strange for a shy person like myself to love talking, but ... contradiction is balance.

Axver said:
:hug: Glad it wasn't any more serious, and that things are improving.

And ha, I think if I ever cleaned my room, someone will yell at me because it will no longer be 'Andréish'. I keep organised chaos. It's not regular mess but it sure doesn't look tidy!

i don't keep my apartment immaculate, even back when i could clean everything myself. organized chaos is a good way to describe it. i've never posted pictures of my apartment in the "post pics of where you live" type threads because it looks like crap, but that's not entirely my fault. there's things all over, but i know where things are. plus it's such a huge apartment (okay, not bragging here but it is quite big - two stories and almost 800 square feet - which is about 74 square meters) that it takes a lot of clutter to make it look really cluttered. i know i shouldn't be doing the chores, but if i don't my cats will go on the carpet, and i won't have any clean clothes to wear tomorrow. which is part of the reason i'm up so late, because i'm waiting for my clothes to dry!

Axver said:
I've posted occasionally, but often what I think has already been said or I fear I'll get eaten alive for my opinion or I just don't feel intelligent enough to contribute (which may surprise many of my friends who think I'm one of the smartest blokes they know, but I often feel intimidated and unsure of myself).
yeah, i'd rather debate politics with my friends and family because they'll just look at me funny and say "wtf that's not right" instead of chewing me out for getting a fact wrong. plus lots of people there think i'm a dirty liberal. :wink:

Axver said:
I cannot STAND to study in silence. It drives me mad. There was this one point during exam block when my school decided to make us stay in the big exam room even if we didn't have an exam, and the silence was maddenning. I have to have music on. Especially when I'm writing. I have specific playlists designed for writing - my Extended UF is what I usually use, but I sometimes put on an Expanded JT, and I have one particular playlist for when I'm writing major action scenes and the like with really dark songs (Alex Descends Into Hell, Acrobat, etc).
ahh yes finally someone who feels the same way. i can't understand how some people can mean literally quiet - as in no music or tv - when they say they want some peace and quiet. like i said, i've always got music on. i've got a radio/cd player at my desk at work, i've got a stereo downstairs in my living room, and my computer with my huge mp3 collection upstairs.

Axver said:
And regarding driving, I know a few others who are like you. I like to have music on when I'm in the car, but I'm always the passenger (I can't see well enough to drive) so it's kind of different. I remember when my mother went through this phase of hating all noise while driving and it was frustrating for me - and now she's in a phase when she needs some noise, but because the radio in our car's all but dead, all she can get is this talkback/oldies station that plays music I hate. I mean, I've nothing against old music, I can really enjoy some of it, but they make the WORST selections. I'm sure most people here would consider their current idea of playing every song from every Beatles album to be an improvement in programming, but I think it just makes the station worse.
ahh, your eyesight is bad? how come? (astigmatism, etc.) my eyesight is bad as well. i was injured at birth (i can't catch a break, can i?) and i've been wearing glasses since i was three. i'm just at the legal limit to be able to drive. without glasses i'm sure i'd be legally blind. the worst part is now between my accident and just the drivers here in general, i'm so turned off of driving. but there's no public transportation in this city whatsoever, so if i never drive again (as long as i live in this city at least, and i'm trying my best to move) that means i need to bum rides off people, or find a job downtown so i can at least take the trolley. but then i'd still have to walk three blocks uphill, which would be hell when it rains.

Axver said:
I was notorious at high school. I was equal top of my grade. Comparison.

Person #1: her whole life revolved around good marks. Spent as much time as she could studying.
Person #2: studied at least three hours a night.
Me: Never studied, never did homework, didn't try, didn't care.

Oh, and I did harder subjects. I'm such a generork sometimes. Yes, generork. I got so confused with geek, nerd, and dork that I just combined all three into an all-purpose word.
yes, i was just like you. i made good grades, i could never be bothered to study. i probably could've made better grades had i studied, but i still did well. i got a full scholarship at a college so i guess i didn't do too bad. i also did pretty well on my act (stupid standardized test you have to take to get into college to test how well you take tests).

Axver said:
You know, I'd actually heard that before. This time, I'll make sure to remember it!
i hated mayonnaise before i learned that, and now i hate it even more. and now i can give people a bunch of crap when i see them put it in their tuna fish or on their burgers. :yuck:

Axver said:
I'm known for being very rambletastic. I can just go on and on and on. It's absurd. I don't know how my girlfriend puts up with me. See, look at this thread - give me an inch, and I'll ramble off for about ten thousand miles. I don't even know who I got it from! I think it's strange for a shy person like myself to love talking, but ... contradiction is balance.
hey, look at me. i'm rambling on too so don't worry, it's not just all you! it's craziness, i tell you.

KhanadaRhodes said:
i don't keep my apartment immaculate, even back when i could clean everything myself. organized chaos is a good way to describe it. i've never posted pictures of my apartment in the "post pics of where you live" type threads because it looks like crap, but that's not entirely my fault. there's things all over, but i know where things are. plus it's such a huge apartment (okay, not bragging here but it is quite big - two stories and almost 800 square feet - which is about 74 square meters) that it takes a lot of clutter to make it look really cluttered.

You'd think converting to metric would help me, but it doesn't, heh. I have no distance or depth perception so I really don't have much of a clue about distances. All I really know is what I need to know for model railways. Wow, I'm such a generork.

Anyhow, I'll be getting a place up in Brisbane early next year, and it'll probably become a disaster zone. I hope it's big like yours so no-one can really tell, heh. Though I do have some motivation to keep it clean, as I'll be there for a few months before my girlfriend joins me for university, and I doubt she wants to move into a tip, even if I can find everything. Right now, I live in a pool room. I'm not kidding. When my Mum and I moved in with her partner, his sons had taken both of the bedrooms so I got the pool room - which I think is great, as it's the biggest room in the house besides the living area, and I can put all my junk on the pool table! You sure can't play pool, I can tell you that much.

yeah, i'd rather debate politics with my friends and family because they'll just look at me funny and say "wtf that's not right" instead of chewing me out for getting a fact wrong. plus lots of people there think i'm a dirty liberal. :wink:

I tend to post my political thoughts and rants on my LiveJournal because I feel safer there and the discussions tend to be better. No flame wars, heh! And apparently I am socially quite liberal, which seems odd to me because I consider myself a moderate leaning conservative. But I never did fit in any box.

ahh yes finally someone who feels the same way. i can't understand how some people can mean literally quiet - as in no music or tv - when they say they want some peace and quiet. like i said, i've always got music on. i've got a radio/cd player at my desk at work, i've got a stereo downstairs in my living room, and my computer with my huge mp3 collection upstairs.

I often cannot understand why anyone would want total silence. There are occasional points in time when I ask people to turn down whatever's on TV because I'm working, but that's usually because they're watching crap. I need stuff I like. I cannot stand listening to the radio. You'll usually catch me listening to bootlegs. I barely ever listen to studio music now. About the only times I do is when I want to hear my favourite songs - i.e. Heartland, Acrobat, Luminous Times - that weren't ever played live.

ahh, your eyesight is bad? how come? (astigmatism, etc.)

I don't like to post publicly about my vision. Don't know why, just I don't like to for some reason, heh. Anyhow, I was going to ask you anyway if you wanted to add me on LJ, but I've just added you and if you add me back, you can read this entry I made about it: http://www.livejournal.com/users/axver/208237.html

(I guess the reason I don't say so publicly is that I like to be the one who tells people about my vision, not other people. And I doubt it really matters posting what's wrong with my eyes on Interference, but I just don't feel like it.)

my eyesight is bad as well. i was injured at birth (i can't catch a break, can i?) and i've been wearing glasses since i was three. i'm just at the legal limit to be able to drive. without glasses i'm sure i'd be legally blind.

I'm not legally blind, but glasses can't rectify my vision enough to allow me to drive. I'm stuck in the grey area between being able to drive and legal blindness, so the government doesn't even give me a hand when it comes to driving around. Doesn't help that I can't read bus destination boards so I can't catch one (I live out of the city and at the only bus stop near me, you have to hail the bus or it just keeps going).

Also, I hate most drivers. They seem to suck the world over. I know the NZ road code very well - when I was little, I read EVERYTHING, and the map in the car had the road code at the back so guess who read it a million times! I'm convinced that even with my vision, I could drive better than half the turkeys on the road.

And the Gold Coast is total rubbish whn it comes to public transport too. They keep saying they'll build a tramway and expand the rail network, but it just gets bogged down in feasibility studies. By the way, you mentioned 'trolley' - what do you mean by that? I keep getting confused by multiple usages of words, heh. To me, a trolley is what you use at the supermarket, but I was told that in the US, it's what I'd call a tram, a thing that travels down rails in the middle of the street. If so, I thought most US cities had abolished those (after all, NZ and Australia took their lead in abolishing their trams from the US - now only Melbourne has trams [oh, and Sydney's rebuilt a tiny bit], but it's the biggest tram network in the Southern Hemisphere!).

yes, i was just like you. i made good grades, i could never be bothered to study. i probably could've made better grades had i studied, but i still did well. i got a full scholarship at a college so i guess i didn't do too bad. i also did pretty well on my act (stupid standardized test you have to take to get into college to test how well you take tests).

I'm almost afraid to think of how well I could've done if I'd tried. I know I could have gone up two grades but neither Mum or I thought that was wise. And here, well, the system is complex, but if some less intelligent people hadn't taken a certain exam, I would have gotten the absolute best mark possible, but because they did, I was dragged down from an OP1 to an OP2.

And yay for more rambling!

Axver said:
You'd think converting to metric would help me, but it doesn't, heh. I have no distance or depth perception so I really don't have much of a clue about distances. All I really know is what I need to know for model railways. Wow, I'm such a generork.
lol, well, here in the states 800 square feet is pretty large for a one bedroom. the average one bedroom apartment here is 600-650 square feet. i guess because this one is two stories (gotta love that, well my knee doesn't but i love having a loft) it's bigger.

Axver said:
Anyhow, I'll be getting a place up in Brisbane early next year, and it'll probably become a disaster zone. I hope it's big like yours so no-one can really tell, heh. Though I do have some motivation to keep it clean, as I'll be there for a few months before my girlfriend joins me for university, and I doubt she wants to move into a tip, even if I can find everything. Right now, I live in a pool room. I'm not kidding. When my Mum and I moved in with her partner, his sons had taken both of the bedrooms so I got the pool room - which I think is great, as it's the biggest room in the house besides the living area, and I can put all my junk on the pool table! You sure can't play pool, I can tell you that much.
a pool room huh? :yikes: that must be kinda cool though to live in a pool room. oh, and what's a tip? here a tip is the money you leave your bartender or waitress!

Axver said:
I tend to post my political thoughts and rants on my LiveJournal because I feel safer there and the discussions tend to be better. No flame wars, heh! And apparently I am socially quite liberal, which seems odd to me because I consider myself a moderate leaning conservative. But I never did fit in any box.
yeah i used to post a lot on my livejournal and i dunno, i just haven't. my last post was in march 02. a lot has changed since then. :|

Axver said:
I often cannot understand why anyone would want total silence. There are occasional points in time when I ask people to turn down whatever's on TV because I'm working, but that's usually because they're watching crap. I need stuff I like. I cannot stand listening to the radio. You'll usually catch me listening to bootlegs. I barely ever listen to studio music now. About the only times I do is when I want to hear my favourite songs - i.e. Heartland, Acrobat, Luminous Times - that weren't ever played live.
yeah, now if something crappy is on the tv or something, then i don't want it blaring. but if it's something i like, then please turn it up! :D i'm sure my neighbours love me, i'm not sure how loud i play my music and if they can hear me or not.

Axver said:
I don't like to post publicly about my vision.
i understand, i don't really like to either. i'll read your livejournal post and comment there. :)

Axver said:
I'm not legally blind, but glasses can't rectify my vision enough to allow me to drive. I'm stuck in the grey area between being able to drive and legal blindness, so the government doesn't even give me a hand when it comes to driving around. Doesn't help that I can't read bus destination boards so I can't catch one (I live out of the city and at the only bus stop near me, you have to hail the bus or it just keeps going).
man, that sucks. no offense, but i'm always glad when i hear of another large city with not-so-good public transportation! it just makes me feel slightly better about this city and helps me put things in perspective. i still hate this city though. really, when you come to memphis you will be bored. although if you're only here for a day or two you'll find plenty to do. but when you come here for a week, unless your main goal is to get as drunk as possible on beale street, by day two you'll be like "there's nothing else to do?" memphis is one big, ugly suburb. :mad:

Axver said:
Also, I hate most drivers. They seem to suck the world over. I know the NZ road code very well - when I was little, I read EVERYTHING, and the map in the car had the road code at the back so guess who read it a million times! I'm convinced that even with my vision, I could drive better than half the turkeys on the road.
yeah, bad driving seems to be a worldwide phenomenon that keeps getting worse. when my mom drives me to and from work, i'm just thinking to myself, "i'm glad i don't have to drive in this crap!" i can't count the number of times some fool has almost hit us (or me back when i had a car).

Axver said:
By the way, you mentioned 'trolley' - what do you mean by that? I keep getting confused by multiple usages of words, heh. To me, a trolley is what you use at the supermarket, but I was told that in the US, it's what I'd call a tram, a thing that travels down rails in the middle of the street. If so, I thought most US cities had abolished those (after all, NZ and Australia took their lead in abolishing their trams from the US - now only Melbourne has trams [oh, and Sydney's rebuilt a tiny bit], but it's the biggest tram network in the Southern Hemisphere!).
here's what i'm talking about when i say trolley: http://www.matatransit.com/mainstreettrolley.html

what you call a trolley i call a shopping cart. :wink:

Axver said:
I'm almost afraid to think of how well I could've done if I'd tried. I know I could have gone up two grades but neither Mum or I thought that was wise. And here, well, the system is complex, but if some less intelligent people hadn't taken a certain exam, I would have gotten the absolute best mark possible, but because they did, I was dragged down from an OP1 to an OP2.

And yay for more rambling!
what exactly is op1 and op2? here you just go to school and get your diploma. then after that you can choose to go onto college if you want. we don't have different levels, you have a diploma (or a g.e.d., which is usually for people who dropped out of high school and are going back later in life) and that's it.

rambling is fun! :D

KhanadaRhodes said:
lol, well, here in the states 800 square feet is pretty large for a one bedroom. the average one bedroom apartment here is 600-650 square feet. i guess because this one is two stories (gotta love that, well my knee doesn't but i love having a loft) it's bigger.

Ah, right. Once I get my place, I really don't care what size it is, just as long as I can get high speed Internet! I'd seriously die without it. I need my bit torrents - I could never go back to dialup. But Australian Internet can be terrible sometimes and some apartment blocks have outdated wiring that isn't DSL-capable. They may have cable, but 1. it's more expensive and 2. cable plans here suck when compared to DSL.

a pool room huh? :yikes: that must be kinda cool though to live in a pool room. oh, and what's a tip? here a tip is the money you leave your bartender or waitress!

Yeah, it's a bit strange, but I like it. Lots of room, I've even got a small fridge and a little oven in here. If I had a toilet and a shower in here, I'd never need to leave!

And a tip is a rubbish dump. (For the record, I find the concept of tipping to be stupid and I'm going to loathe doing it in June.)

yeah i used to post a lot on my livejournal and i dunno, i just haven't. my last post was in march 02. a lot has changed since then. :|

I'm addicted to LiveJournal. I've posted every day since September 2003. I've posted every day I've had Internet access since I've had it. I may not post today, though. I have NOTHING to say, which is peculiar for me.

I'm also starting to become a little uncomfortable with how many people read my journal. It makes me particularly anxious to post about religion or notably controversial political/social things. That's the price I pay for writing what are apparently well-done rants, it seems.

And dare I ask how things have changed, or just move along to the next point?

yeah, now if something crappy is on the tv or something, then i don't want it blaring. but if it's something i like, then please turn it up! :D i'm sure my neighbours love me, i'm not sure how loud i play my music and if they can hear me or not.

I wonder how much my neighbours can hear, because when everyone else is out, I sing along really loud to my music - and I am a SHOCKING singer. I really can't stand my two stepbrothers, though - they have the worst taste in music and like to turn it up really loud. I like to turn my own music up, but not to drown out rubbish!

man, that sucks. no offense, but i'm always glad when i hear of another large city with not-so-good public transportation! it just makes me feel slightly better about this city and helps me put things in perspective.

This city is a true disaster. I could write an essay on it. Essentially, the Gold Coast is strip and ribbon development up and down the beach and is now sprawling into the Hinterland. It has no real centre; people just began developing as it became a popular holiday destination. They built on sand dunes, on floodplains, and everywhere else you shouldn't build, and then they did a really smart thing and closed the railway in the 1960s. They've now built back one line from Brisbane but it's no real use for local travel, just getting to Brisbane.

i still hate this city though. really, when you come to memphis you will be bored. although if you're only here for a day or two you'll find plenty to do. but when you come here for a week, unless your main goal is to get as drunk as possible on beale street, by day two you'll be like "there's nothing else to do?" memphis is one big, ugly suburb. :mad:

I'm the kind of boring person who never does anything anyway. I tend to just prefer the company of people I can talk to. If you couldn't tell by my rambling, heh.

yeah, bad driving seems to be a worldwide phenomenon that keeps getting worse. when my mom drives me to and from work, i'm just thinking to myself, "i'm glad i don't have to drive in this crap!" i can't count the number of times some fool has almost hit us (or me back when i had a car).

I'm so sick of seeing people driving worse than I could. I think it's a pathetic comment on their ability and I wonder how they ever got a licence. And I really hate people who can't use round-abouts. Now, apparently not all parts of the world have those so I could understand a foreigner making mistakes, but if you grew up here, you damn well should have grasped the basic principle of a round-about by the time you got a licence!

here's what i'm talking about when i say trolley: http://www.matatransit.com/mainstreettrolley.html

what you call a trolley i call a shopping cart. :wink:

Hooray for trams! I'm a rail nerd, if you couldn't tell. Anything that runs on rails, I like. It was my first fanaticism before U2.

I still like Thomas The Tank Engine. :reject:

what exactly is op1 and op2?

Oh, the Queensland system is so damn hard to explain, most people in it don't even get it. It uses Z-scores and all kinds of weird stuff and the only standardised thing is the Queensland Core Skills Test. Your final result is given as an OP (Overall Position) between 1 and 25, 1 being the best. Universities look at that to admit you. I should have got an OP1 but due to the ranking and scaling crap, I got dragged down by less intelligent people to an OP2. Not that I'm complaining, though. Considering my lack of effort, I wasn't even expecting to get an OP3!

And this rambling is a great way to pass the afternoon. Wow, it's 6pm here already. Hmm, maybe I should get onto dinner ...

Axver said:
Ah, right. Once I get my place, I really don't care what size it is, just as long as I can get high speed Internet! I'd seriously die without it. I need my bit torrents - I could never go back to dialup. But Australian Internet can be terrible sometimes and some apartment blocks have outdated wiring that isn't DSL-capable. They may have cable, but 1. it's more expensive and 2. cable plans here suck when compared to DSL.
i guess i shouldn't mention the apartment complex i live in offers free wireless internet then, huh? :wink: plus it's a commercial line so that means there's more bandwidth to go around, so i can hog it all for torrents :shh:

Axver said:
Yeah, it's a bit strange, but I like it. Lots of room, I've even got a small fridge and a little oven in here. If I had a toilet and a shower in here, I'd never need to leave!

And a tip is a rubbish dump. (For the record, I find the concept of tipping to be stupid and I'm going to loathe doing it in June.)
hmm, your room reminds me a lot of my ex's old bedroom in his house in connecticut. it was an extension his grandmother had built onto his parents' house. when she died, he moved in.

oh okay, we'd just call something like that a dump or uhh, other slang words i can't remember at the moment. yeah, i don't think it's fair that i have to tip more but i still do it. i know plenty of waiters and it's really unfair that they don't make more per hour. thank you for not protesting the concept by not tipping like so many people do (you'd be surprised how many people in this town do not tip or tip poorly)! :)

Axver said:
I'm addicted to LiveJournal. I've posted every day since September 2003. I've posted every day I've had Internet access since I've had it. I may not post today, though. I have NOTHING to say, which is peculiar for me.

I'm also starting to become a little uncomfortable with how many people read my journal. It makes me particularly anxious to post about religion or notably controversial political/social things. That's the price I pay for writing what are apparently well-done rants, it seems.

And dare I ask how things have changed, or just move along to the next point?
yeah, that was me back in late 01 and early 02. i posted at least once a day. i wish i'd had the problem of too many people reading my journal. even then, like three people read it. if you go back and look it's the same people commenting every time :laugh:

ahh yeah sure you can ask. the last post i'd made was the day i eloped. and now i'm divorced. :) so yeah, a lot has changed. but it's totally amicable so everything's cool.

Axver said:
I wonder how much my neighbours can hear, because when everyone else is out, I sing along really loud to my music - and I am a SHOCKING singer. I really can't stand my two stepbrothers, though - they have the worst taste in music and like to turn it up really loud. I like to turn my own music up, but not to drown out rubbish!
lol, i am the same way! whenever i'm at home or in my mom's car or something, i'm always blasting music and singing along - very loudly and very poorly. what kind of music do they like? i'm curious to see what you consider bad taste in music. i'm a little scared, actually. :reject:

Axver said:
This city is a true disaster. I could write an essay on it. Essentially, the Gold Coast is strip and ribbon development up and down the beach and is now sprawling into the Hinterland. It has no real centre; people just began developing as it became a popular holiday destination. They built on sand dunes, on floodplains, and everywhere else you shouldn't build, and then they did a really smart thing and closed the railway in the 1960s. They've now built back one line from Brisbane but it's no real use for local travel, just getting to Brisbane.
in a lot of ways, it sounds like what memphis has become. we're the laughingstock of all other cities our size. the only problem is no one really wants to come here on vacation. we get some tourists but no one really beyond the "omg y'all i'm gonna go see elvis omigaaaaaaaaaaawd" fucking rednecks. :mad:

the sprawl here is bad as well, like you said, here people just built wherever there was free land. a lot of the buildings out in the suburbs are settling, and not in a good way. there's one school here that was built just a couple years ago and already there's a huge crack running down a brick wall no less, and several of the doors won't shut. stuff's crooked, etc. you should see the apartments out where my parents live. just awful. plus, all i will say is they have bug problems. i don't want to go into any more detail as i HATE bugs. :yuck:

Axver said:
I'm the kind of boring person who never does anything anyway. I tend to just prefer the company of people I can talk to. If you couldn't tell by my rambling, heh.
ahh, then you just might have a good time yet. you could just go down to peabody place and sit by the fountains and chill. or if you wanted to hang around outside, there's several parks downtown along the river.

Axver said:
I'm so sick of seeing people driving worse than I could. I think it's a pathetic comment on their ability and I wonder how they ever got a licence. And I really hate people who can't use round-abouts. Now, apparently not all parts of the world have those so I could understand a foreigner making mistakes, but if you grew up here, you damn well should have grasped the basic principle of a round-about by the time you got a licence!
ahh, now see i almost had to ask you what a round-about was. luckily i know because simon says it in the reflex. to be honest, i don't know what we call them over here as i've only ever seen one in my entire life. i'll have to ask my mom as there was one rather famous one around where she grew up.

but yeah, from what i've heard (correct me if i'm wrong here), if you're not in the correct lane, you're pretty much fucked and you have to keep driving in circles until you can exit off. is this correct or am i thinking of something else?

Axver said:
Hooray for trams! I'm a rail nerd, if you couldn't tell. Anything that runs on rails, I like. It was my first fanaticism before U2.

I still like Thomas The Tank Engine. :reject:
i've been on the trolley several times, but i've only ever been on an actual train once. i loved thomas the tank engine when i was a kid. :wink:

Axver said:
Oh, the Queensland system is so damn hard to explain, most people in it don't even get it. It uses Z-scores and all kinds of weird stuff and the only standardised thing is the Queensland Core Skills Test. Your final result is given as an OP (Overall Position) between 1 and 25, 1 being the best. Universities look at that to admit you. I should have got an OP1 but due to the ranking and scaling crap, I got dragged down by less intelligent people to an OP2. Not that I'm complaining, though. Considering my lack of effort, I wasn't even expecting to get an OP3!

And this rambling is a great way to pass the afternoon. Wow, it's 6pm here already. Hmm, maybe I should get onto dinner ...
okay, i think i understand the op thing then. here we just had class rankings. everyone would have their own ranking of course. i don't remember mind but i was in the top 10 or 15%.

i need to go to bed soon so it's just as well that you have to go

You and I = off-topictastic and rambletastic.

KhanadaRhodes said:

i guess i shouldn't mention the apartment complex i live in offers free wireless internet then, huh? :wink: plus it's a commercial line so that means there's more bandwidth to go around, so i can hog it all for torrents :shh:

DAMN YOU AMERICANS AND YOUR GOOD INTERNET! :mad: DAMN YOU AUSTRALIA FOR BEING SO LARGE WITH SUCH A SMALL AND DISPERSED POPULATION! :madspit:

Ahem, I mean, I hope I can get that in Brisbane!

Could be worse, though. I hear that the Internet in my native New Zealand makes Australia's look bloody fantastic.

oh okay, we'd just call something like that a dump or uhh, other slang words i can't remember at the moment.

Here, it's either a tip or a dump, or if you go by the signs, 'refuse centres' or 'refuse stations' or some nonsense like that. Though back in my hometown, I think it's the Kapiti Council Tip, or was when I left.

yeah, i don't think it's fair that i have to tip more but i still do it. i know plenty of waiters and it's really unfair that they don't make more per hour. thank you for not protesting the concept by not tipping like so many people do (you'd be surprised how many people in this town do not tip or tip poorly)!

I was seriously thinking about not tipping, but my girlfriend quickly brought a stop to that idea of mine. I think she's now going to just tip for me to make sure I do it. I'm also a stingy bastard - even with other people's money (in fact, I'm worse when it's not my money: my friends had a hard time buying me a $0.70 pack of chips at high school). What counts as a good tip? Because I'm loathe to part with more than five dollars of my money when I've already paid for whatever it is that I want (and brought myself to part with that initial money).

i wish i'd had the problem of too many people reading my journal. even then, like three people read it. if you go back and look it's the same people commenting every time

Heh, most people wish they had my problem, whereas I wish I could go back to the days when I could post whatever crap I wanted and it didn't matter. Now I sometimes feel under a bit of pressure to produce entries of a certain quality, though I ignore it for the most part (as evidenced by yesterday's entry).

ahh yeah sure you can ask. the last post i'd made was the day i eloped. and now i'm divorced. :) so yeah, a lot has changed. but it's totally amicable so everything's cool.

Very sorry to hear about the divorce. Glad it's amicable though.

lol, i am the same way! whenever i'm at home or in my mom's car or something, i'm always blasting music and singing along - very loudly and very poorly. what kind of music do they like? i'm curious to see what you consider bad taste in music. i'm a little scared, actually. :reject:

I can't hold a note, I know nothing about how to sing in key, I just rock along with it, bad air guitar or bass or drums included. I think my renditions of Exit and Bullet aren't that horrible, though.

My older stepbrother has recently been blasting an Eminem CD and my younger stepbrother thinks Linkin Park are fantastic, if that gives you any idea.

in a lot of ways, it sounds like what memphis has become. we're the laughingstock of all other cities our size. the only problem is no one really wants to come here on vacation. we get some tourists but no one really beyond the "omg y'all i'm gonna go see elvis omigaaaaaaaaaaawd" fucking rednecks. :mad:

I'm making everyone promise that they will not expose me to either Elvis or country music [or rednecks and hicks, for that matter]. I hope no-one gets it in their head that because Graceland was in Rattle And Hum, it has a good enough U2 connection to take me there.

And how large is Memphis? The Gold Coast's population, depending upon what you count as part of the Gold Coast, is 500,000-800,000 and the fastest growing city in Australia - WITHOUT ADEQUATE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION OR OTHER ESSENTIAL SERVICES! The council keep saying how they are implementing restrictions and will stop growth when the population hits a million and they're going to protect the environment, but as soon as someone walks in with a wad of cash, they find an exception. The tallest residential building the world is under construction in Surfer's Paradise right now. Some rich nitwit will buy the penthouse just so he can say he's got it and will spend all of a week there a year.

the sprawl here is bad as well, like you said, here people just built wherever there was free land. a lot of the buildings out in the suburbs are settling, and not in a good way. there's one school here that was built just a couple years ago and already there's a huge crack running down a brick wall no less, and several of the doors won't shut. stuff's crooked, etc. you should see the apartments out where my parents live. just awful. plus, all i will say is they have bug problems. i don't want to go into any more detail as i HATE bugs. :yuck:

The sprawl here is unbelieveable. See, the Gold Coast started off as a few beachside towns, mainly holiday towns, that then sprawled together along the sand dunes (we now have huge erosion problems), and then they started sprawling back inland onto the floodplain (we now have a whole number of problems from that), and while that went on, some clever twit decided to build canals all through the floodplains so a lot of suburbs sell houses at grossly inflated prices because they're on waterfront land.

And bugs? One thing I discovered when I moved from NZ to Australia is that all the bugs over here are BIG. My, are they BIG. And considering the building standards here, I won't be surprised if such disasters like what you just mentioned start happening here. Mum and I used to live in a very new house and it creaked a lot, though thankfully never seriously.

ahh, then you just might have a good time yet. you could just go down to peabody place and sit by the fountains and chill. or if you wanted to hang around outside, there's several parks downtown along the river.

Knowing me, I'd be tempted to slide down Heartland Hill a couple of times and then ride those trams around a bit. We need a nerd smiley.

but yeah, from what i've heard (correct me if i'm wrong here), if you're not in the correct lane, you're pretty much fucked and you have to keep driving in circles until you can exit off. is this correct or am i thinking of something else?

Yeah, you could end up driving in circles I suppose [not sure how you'd need to do more than one complete circle if you made a mistake on any round-about here, though], though considering the drivers here, a lot of people have no regard - or no clue - for the right lane anyway. Normally, on a two lane round-about (we don't have bigger here), the left lane is for turning left or going straight and the right lane is for going straight or turning right. Remember we drive on the left, so turning left is the short turn while turning right at a normal intersection is crossing traffic.

i've been on the trolley several times, but i've only ever been on an actual train once. i loved thomas the tank engine when i was a kid. :wink:

For a rail nut, I've been on trains surprisingly little. Mainly because my only real opportunity to take them here is if I'm going up to Brisbane, which isn't often. Brisbane's the capital and largest city in Queensland, about 50-60 minutes north of the Gold Coast. The Wellington tram museum was based in a park about five minutes from my house in NZ so that was awesome, and when I went to Melbourne in 2003, I was just so thrilled to ride real trams rather than preserved ones.

okay, i think i understand the op thing then. here we just had class rankings. everyone would have their own ranking of course. i don't remember mind but i was in the top 10 or 15%.

The OP can get damn complex. It's really silly, though I actually liked much of the system. Especially how there's only one standardised test (well, the QCS is actually four tests in one, but yeah).

Axver said:

- 21 September 1989, Perth, Western Australia
- 22 September 1989, Perth, Western Australia
- 23 September 1989, Perth, Western Australia
- 27 September 1989, Sydney, New South Wales
- 28 September 1989, Sydney, New South Wales
- 29 September 1989, Sydney, New South Wales
- 2 October 1989, Brisbane, Queensland
- 3 October 1989, Brisbane, Queensland
- 4 October 1989, Brisbane, Queensland
- 7 October 1989, Melbourne, Victoria
- 8 October 1989, Melbourne, Victoria
- 9 October 1989, Melbourne, Victoria
- 12 October 1989, Melbourne, Victoria
- 13 October 1989, Melbourne, Victoria
- 14 October 1989, Melbourne, Victoria
- 16 October 1989, Melbourne, Victoria
- 20 October 1989, Sydney, New South Wales
- 21 October 1989, Sydney, New South Wales
- 27 October 1989, Adelaide, South Australia
- 28 October 1989, Adelaide, South Australia
- 4 November 1989, Christchurch, New Zealand
- 8 November 1989, Wellington, New Zealand
- 10 November 1989, Auckland, New Zealand
- 11 November 1989, Auckland, New Zealand
- 17 November 1989, Sydney, New South Wales
- 18 November 1989, Sydney, New South Wales
- 19 November 1989, Sydney, New South Wales
- 23 November 1989, Yokohama, Japan
- 25 November 1989, Tokyo, Japan
- 26 November 1989, Tokyo, Japan
- 28 November 1989, Osaka, Japan
- 29 November 1989, Osaka, Japan
- 1 December 1989, Osaka, Japan
- 11 December 1989, Paris, France
- 12 December 1989, Paris, France
- 14 December 1989, Dortmund, Germany
- 15 December 1989, Dortmund, Germany
- 16 December 1989, Dortmund, Germany
- 18 December 1989, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 26 December 1989, Dublin, Ireland
- 27 December 1989, Dublin, Ireland
- 30 December 1989, Dublin, Ireland
- 31 December 1989, Dublin, Ireland
- 5 January 1990, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- 6 January 1990, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- 9 January 1990, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- 10 January 1990, Rotterdam, The Netherlands

There were also meant to be concerts on the following dates:
- 22, 24, 25 October 1989, Sydney
[I THINK those were the dates. The 22nd may have been the 23rd, I haven't seen much at all written about the postponed Sydney shows.]
- 19, 20 December 1989, Amsterdam
- 29 December 1989, Dublin

Sorry to intrude upon your conversation :wink: but I'd like to make a note about those postponed Sydney shows.

Those shows were postponed when Bono lost his voice. As you can see there's a fair gap between 21 October and 27 October, which was Bono's "comeback" show in Adelaide.

Those Sydney shows were rescheduled at the end of the Oz/NZ tour ie 17,18,19 November.

For those shows, they got in female backing singers (Zan who was in I'm Talking with Kate Ceberano, and her sister I believe) and the shows were filmed by Richard Lowenstein (again, if I remember correctly). I know I have God Part II on tape somewhere where Bono's stripping his top off.

There was a rumour floating around after that Adam was quite taken with Zan and was flying her over to Dublin for the Christmas/New Year's shows. Never found out if it was ever true...:ohmy:

blueeyedgirl said:
Sorry to intrude upon your conversation :wink: but I'd like to make a note about those postponed Sydney shows.

We really derailed this thread, didn't we?

Those shows were postponed when Bono lost his voice. As you can see there's a fair gap between 21 October and 27 October, which was Bono's "comeback" show in Adelaide.

Yeah, I've got an interview with Richard Wilkins or whatever his name his, with Edge and Adam from the time, talking about how Bono was devastated he couldn't sing. I think they said he had laryngitis. I have bootlegs where Bono says that we have "pretty psychadelic germs in Australia ... [that were] having their annual general meeting" in his throat.

Can you remember the dates of the postponed gigs? I suspect it was 22, 24, 25, but I'm not 100% sure.

For those shows, they got in female backing singers (Zan who was in I'm Talking with Kate Ceberano, and her sister I believe) and the shows were filmed by Richard Lowenstein (again, if I remember correctly). I know I have God Part II on tape somewhere where Bono's stripping his top off.

There was a rumour floating around after that Adam was quite taken with Zan and was flying her over to Dublin for the Christmas/New Year's shows. Never found out if it was ever true...:ohmy:

I know they also had female backing singers at some point in Europe. I remember Bono announcing Sophia and Claudia on one boot.

And that God Part II is 18 November 1989. I have some of that concert on DVD. I don't think the whole thing is out there. That 18 November 1989 concert is the infamous bomb threat show when the entire crowd was evacuated before the concert. Amazing performance of Hawkmoon 269 to kick it off, and I had to chuckle when Bono tells a story after All Along The Watchtower (this is on the bootleg, not the video) about how there was a lovely moon outside, and because Sydney's such a romantic city, he thought they'd take everyone outside to have a look.

I concur with Axver - the LoveTown tour had various members of U2 really performing fantastically.

HOWEVER...

While Bono's voice was fantastic (rich, powerful and a tremendous range), it took a huge toll on him. Several shows had to be cancelled because he lost his voice. Imagine waiting almost 3 years to finally see U2 since their biggest album ever (at the time - JT) and they cancel! :rant:

They performed brilliantly because by that time, the members of U2 knew those songs well - VERY well. They had been performing the JT songs for a LONG time on an almost daily basis. Admittedly the R&H songs were newer, but they had a lot of time to rehearse.

And it's for this reason that I think the tour really sucked the life out of them. Adam Clayton said that if they had to do another tour like those, he'd have gone crazy! The ZOO tour added much needed new life to all of them. As much as they tried to mix up the set list on the JT and Lovetown tours, Larry said they felt like a juke box playing the fans' favorites.

On this current tour, I like the mix of the old and new. At this point, U2 has SUCH a tremendous catalog that it probably is really a challenge to figure out which songs they are going to perform! And while there is still a hint of that "juke box" feeling, because U2 has such a back-catalog, they now have a luxury they didn't have back then. They can pull a lesser known song from "Boy" or "October" just as much as they can pull one from "Zooropa" or "Pop".

So I love the Lovetown Tour, but this tour, so far, is pretty impressive too. U2 have mixed up the setlists, changed the order, have a fantastic group of new songs and Bono's voice is the best I've heard since the ZOO tours! Once they get a bit tighter with their performances, this tour could be one of their best ever!

Axver said:
DAMN YOU AMERICANS AND YOUR GOOD INTERNET! :mad: DAMN YOU AUSTRALIA FOR BEING SO LARGE WITH SUCH A SMALL AND DISPERSED POPULATION! :madspit:
:wink:

Axver said:
I was seriously thinking about not tipping, but my girlfriend quickly brought a stop to that idea of mine. I think she's now going to just tip for me to make sure I do it. I'm also a stingy bastard - even with other people's money (in fact, I'm worse when it's not my money: my friends had a hard time buying me a $0.70 pack of chips at high school). What counts as a good tip? Because I'm loathe to part with more than five dollars of my money when I've already paid for whatever it is that I want (and brought myself to part with that initial money).
good for her. :mad: i don't like people who protest the concept of tipping by not tipping. :rant: that's finally one thing we don't have in common: i'm not stingy at all. i know how to save and budget, sure. but if i've got money to spare i can be very generous.

Axver said:
Heh, most people wish they had my problem, whereas I wish I could go back to the days when I could post whatever crap I wanted and it didn't matter. Now I sometimes feel under a bit of pressure to produce entries of a certain quality, though I ignore it for the most part (as evidenced by yesterday's entry).
if you really feel hindered by the number of people reading your posts, you can always just put restrictions on who can read it. :wink:

Axver said:
I can't hold a note, I know nothing about how to sing in key, I just rock along with it, bad air guitar or bass or drums included. I think my renditions of Exit and Bullet aren't that horrible, though.
haha, me either. i especially like to sing really loud and off-key if i'm around my mom because then she'll get into it too. i'm always rocking the air drums.

Axver said:
My older stepbrother has recently been blasting an Eminem CD and my younger stepbrother thinks Linkin Park are fantastic, if that gives you any idea.
:yuck: i don't think i need to say anything more than that.

Axver said:
I'm making everyone promise that they will not expose me to either Elvis or country music [or rednecks and hicks, for that matter]. I hope no-one gets it in their head that because Graceland was in Rattle And Hum, it has a good enough U2 connection to take me there.
yuck yuck yuck, no worries here. graceland is overrated. the house isn't as big as it seems. sure, it was large back then, but now? it looks like a shotgun shack.

Axver said:
And how large is Memphis? The Gold Coast's population, depending upon what you count as part of the Gold Coast, is 500,000-800,000 and the fastest growing city in Australia - WITHOUT ADEQUATE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION OR OTHER ESSENTIAL SERVICES! The council keep saying how they are implementing restrictions and will stop growth when the population hits a million and they're going to protect the environment, but as soon as someone walks in with a wad of cash, they find an exception. The tallest residential building the world is under construction in Surfer's Paradise right now. Some rich nitwit will buy the penthouse just so he can say he's got it and will spend all of a week there a year.
we have a population of a little over a million people. it's awful to live here. the city mayor is corrupt as fuck, and all the council just fucking bends to whatever he says. taxes get raised about three times a year and there's still supposedly not enough to go around. businesses are starting to pull out of memphis and go to mississippi or arkansas (both have lower taxes and are very close by).

Axver said:
And bugs? One thing I discovered when I moved from NZ to Australia is that all the bugs over here are BIG. My, are they BIG. And considering the building standards here, I won't be surprised if such disasters like what you just mentioned start happening here. Mum and I used to live in a very new house and it creaked a lot, though thankfully never seriously.
oh god, say no more :yuck:

Axver said:
Knowing me, I'd be tempted to slide down Heartland Hill a couple of times and then ride those trams around a bit. We need a nerd smiley.
and the cool thing is, you can ride the trolley alongside the hills too. :D

Axver said:
Yeah, you could end up driving in circles I suppose [not sure how you'd need to do more than one complete circle if you made a mistake on any round-about here, though], though considering the drivers here, a lot of people have no regard - or no clue - for the right lane anyway. Normally, on a two lane round-about (we don't have bigger here), the left lane is for turning left or going straight and the right lane is for going straight or turning right. Remember we drive on the left, so turning left is the short turn while turning right at a normal intersection is crossing traffic.
so i was right! :hmm:

Axver said:
For a rail nut, I've been on trains surprisingly little. Mainly because my only real opportunity to take them here is if I'm going up to Brisbane, which isn't often. Brisbane's the capital and largest city in Queensland, about 50-60 minutes north of the Gold Coast. The Wellington tram museum was based in a park about five minutes from my house in NZ so that was awesome, and when I went to Melbourne in 2003, I was just so thrilled to ride real trams rather than preserved ones.
then you'll love it here, some of the trolleys are really old. we've got some brand new ones as well, but i like the older ones better.

LoveTown is my favorite holiday destination; my list of reasons so far:

1. Best Mayor
2. Backcatalogue (I will follow, 11 o'clock tick tock, out of control, gloria)
3. The hits (NYD, Pride, TUF, WOWY, Streets, Desire, Angel of Harlem)
4. Unforgettable Fire, All I want is you, Running to Stand Still, One Tree Hill & Bad in one setlist?!
5. 5.5min Desire (including the first incarnation of the "Fly" solo)
6. People get Ready
7. Sexual Healing
8. BTBS: Bono saying "te gek man"
9. did I already mention BB?

btw I originally had tickets for Amsterdam Dec 20th, as this show was cancelled due to illness, we got to see them January 9th in Rotterdam.

Is this the first time they actually rescheduled in another city? :huh:

Back
Top Bottom