The Lola Cashman/U2 debate continues...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slapnutz

Refugee
Anyone seen this? It was published in the Irish Indepedent/Sunday Independent about two weeks back.

'Artist Kevin Sharkey is to portray the battle between U2 and their stylist Lola Cashman in a new controversial painting depicting Lola as Jesus on the cross Sharkey is working on a piece that shows Lola - who unsuccessfully took U2
to court over ownership of band memorabilia in a high-profile case - being nailed to a crucifix by all four members of the rock supergroup. The work will be a slap in the face for the band who pride themselves on being the world’s most famous Christian musicians.

Fashion queen Lola lost her High Court case over who owned Bono’s Stetson and now owns hundreds of thousands in legal fees and faces bankruptcy as a result. The painter is so sympathetic with Lola’s battle that he has also pledged to donate a E10,000 painting to help her pay off legal bills after she lost her court fight with U2 over who owned pieces of band collectibles, including Bono’s famous Joshua Tree Stetson hat.

Sharkey told the Sunday Independent: “For me, it is much more than just vying for the underdog. Lola was David to U2’s Goliath, she could never win. "But I wanted her to know that not only I, but the rest of Ireland, were with her in her fight against U2,” he explained. “The dignity with which she held herself throughout the case was only equaled by the shamelessness of Bono and the rest of the band. They should all hang their heads in shame.

“She held her strong spirit throughout - but they could never have imagined how taking an employee through such a case could have affected their image so badly. They should not have done what they did to her and it looked
really bad for them.”

Sharkey said he is in the process of conceiving a painting that will depict Lola being nailed to a cross by Bono, drummer Larry Mullen, guitarist The Edge and bassist Adam Clayton.

“It is in the early stages, but I am working in it“ he said. “It shows her on the cross, with all four members of U2 hammering in the nails. I felt very inspired by her, the way she refused to give up. As a stylist she is an artist too and she had her work cut out with her with U2, they are hardly four male models.”

In the meantime, he is donating one of his works to Miss Cashman to help her financial situation. He said: “I was at an auction of one of my paintings that sold for E11,000 and I realised I was in a position to help someone and I thought of Lola. “I felt for her like a lot of Irish people who followed the case did and I thought I would give her a painting - to sell, or whatever she wanted to do with it,” he said. "I think she would be surprised to know how many people are on her side.”

Sharkey - who has galleries in Dublin’s Francis Street and London’s Clifford Street in Mayfair - will meet Lola next Thursday In London to pick a painting of her choice. “I am opening an exhibition called What Colour Kisses and she can pick
whatever she likes. Just don’t call me her fairy godfather!” he said.

For her part, Lola was delighted to hear of Kevin Sharkey’s kind offer. She said: “I am ashamed to say I had never heard of Kevin Sharkey, but when I saw his work I was so impressed. This man is an amazing artist and I am so
touched to hear he wants to help me. "When I heard, I wanted to cry and then I just wanted to jump on him and
kiss him and hug him and bite him!

“This means so much to me and I hope one day to have the power to help someone, like Kevin has done for me. I am a very positive person and I believe what goes around comes around.”'

One nobody trying to get some glory off of another nobody trying to get some glory off of a somebody.

Gavin Friday, anyone?

blueeyedgirl said:

Are you saying I own a Virgin Prunes album only because of U2?

:sad:

Yes, unless you're one of the 6 who got one on the band's own merit. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom