The Lemon falsetto is NOT gone...here's proof...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
Just listen to the backing vocals on "A Man And A Woman", particularly paying attention to the "Brown eyed girl across the street, On rue Saint Divine" section of the song and you can hear the backing vocals easily hitting the notes Bono had reached before with Lemon.

I often hear on these boards that the days of the Lemon falsetto are long gone, and Bono can't hit those notes anymore. I think this song proves otherwise.

Now as far as hitting the screams of "Red Hill Mining Town" or "One Tree Hill"...well...I would agree those days ARE over...

Last edited:
Actually, Bono's "Red Hill Mining Town" days were pretty much over as soon as they began. LOL! I guess we should be grateful Bono was able to capture that one performance on the album. :yes:

As for "One Tree Hill"... near the end, Bono resorts to an operatic voice then a scream. He can still scream (ABoY) and he can still do the operatic voice (in concert - Streets and in studio - Hands...).

And I've always thought Bono's falsetto was just fine. While I admit he's slipped a bit over time, I never noticed it in his falsetto.

Well, I knew the voice was in incredible shape the second I heard Mercy. There is something to be said about Bono's dad giving that voice to him when he died. Bono has not been this prime for years.

doctorwho said:

And I've always thought Bono's falsetto was just fine. While I admit he's slipped a bit over time, I never noticed it in his falsetto.

Exactly my point...the falsetto is still alive and well.

Actually, I am pretty sure the backing vocals are Edge. Listen very carefully. Edge has always been able to hit those high falsetto notes.

How about Lemon on the tour I'm sure it's impossible that they'll play it but heres to hope

That is not Bono in any way, shape, or form. That's the Edge all of the way. Bono doesn't go for the high notes much any longer and when he does, the Edge usually sings with him (as in "it's you when I look in the mirror......."). That's not to say he can't hit the occasional falsetto note, but he (with all understanding) isn't the singer he once was.

Who's to say that isn't the Edge singing the background falsetto?
I don't think the falsetto to the "brown eyed girl..." part sounds like Bono.

Unless the falsetto has vastly improved over the Elevation Tour, it's still not in very good shape. In most my bootlegs, Bono has a real problem even with the "woooo" part of WOWY, not to mention the falsetto in "Bad" or "Bullet." I'm not saying he sounds really that bad, I'm just saying that I don't think he's in the "Lemon" days. The real test would be to sing "Can't Help Falling In Love" like ZooTV, which I highly doubt could be done by the B-Man anymore. Why should we kid ourselves and try to say his voice hasn't gone downhill? I mean, he's not really a spring chicken anymore.

I'm not one to jump on this bandwagon of Bono's voice being back to the way it was 10 years ago. Sure, it does sound a bit better than on Pop and ATYCLB; giving up smoking would do that. As someone who sings in a band, I'm telling you there are tons of "tricks" you can do to make a falsetto sound stronger and improve the overall vocal quality. Basically, it comes down to adding reverb and delay, or a little extra "warmth"-- all of which can cover up flaws almost completely.

To my ears, it sounds like Bono...and has anyone thought that maybe they used a program like Pro Tools to increase the pitch of his voice? Hello?

Bono can definately, definately, definately not hit those notes anymore.

Last edited:
whackjester said:
That is not Bono in any way, shape, or form. That's the Edge all of the way. Bono doesn't go for the high notes much any longer and when he does, the Edge usually sings with him (as in "it's you when I look in the mirror......."). That's not to say he can't hit the occasional falsetto note, but he (with all understanding) isn't the singer he once was.

When they sing the chorus on Sometimes they are singing the same notes.

1stepcloser said:
im pretty sure the backing vocal to AMAAW is Edge singing.

I'm pretty certain that Bono is singing the falsetto right at the end (before the line " how can I hurt when I'm holding you") when its simply backed by acoustic guitars (4:10)
I find it interesting that despite the strong Lemonesque falsetto he captures in this song, he struggles to hit the falsetto in Sometimes at the end. Often when I've seen them playing this live Bono sounds quite hoarse with the "best you can do... is to fake it" (4:25 on album) line. Maybe this is intentional I don't know...

I think it's Edge. I'd double-check to verify, but if that requires listening to "A Man and a Woman" again, I concede the entire argument and every one we might conceivably have in the future about anything.

It's Bono on backup in AMAAW. In one of the pre-release reviews he describes himself as hitting notes "a man of my age shouldn't be able to hit" in that song. It's Bono, cause he said it's him.

MrBrau1 said:
It's Bono on backup in AMAAW. In one of the pre-release reviews he describes himself as hitting notes "a man of my age shouldn't be able to hit" in that song. It's Bono, cause he said it's him.

I remember Bono saying that, but not about AMAAW. Where I read, he was referring to "Vertigo" and "Sometimes". Show me a link where he specifically says that about AMAAW and I'll be satisfied.

:ohmy:Ok Ok Ok.....I got a good one folks.

For those of you that are convinced that Bono's falsetto has gone the way of the Dodo since Lemon days, listen to the live recording of "She's a mystery to me" from the Radio 1 stuidios on 23 October 2000. The falsetto at the end is definetely Bono and its a killer :drool:

whackjester said:

Bono: (cough, cough, puts cigarette down. . .): "No, that's my voice not Edge's." :)

Seriously, though, without a doubt, it's the scientist of the family who is the only one hitting those high notes.

corner said:
:ohmy:Ok Ok Ok.....I got a good one folks.

For those of you that are convinced that Bono's falsetto has gone the way of the Dodo since Lemon days, listen to the live recording of "She's a mystery to me" from the Radio 1 stuidios on 23 October 2000. The falsetto at the end is definetely Bono and its a killer :drool:

Were you being serious here? :huh:

I just checked out that performance, and it has to be one of most terrible, mangled versions of "She's a Mystery to Me" I've ever heard...The falsetto at the end isn't something I think Bono was bragging about after the performance (probably why I'm guessing they cut the song early).

ImOuttaControl said:

I remember Bono saying that, but not about AMAAW. Where I read, he was referring to "Vertigo" and "Sometimes". Show me a link where he specifically says that about AMAAW and I'll be satisfied.

In what I read he was refering to the falsetto vocal in AMAAW. Plus, listen to it, it easy to tell it's Bono. Edge has a very high voice, yet I've never heard him go falsetto. The backing vocal on AMAAW is a falsetto voice. My memory and the recording are all the proof I need.

MrBrau1 said:

In what I read he was refering to the falsetto vocal in AMAAW. Plus, listen to it, it easy to tell it's Bono. Edge has a very high voice, yet I've never heard him go falsetto. The backing vocal on AMAAW is a falsetto voice. My memory and the recording are all the proof I need.

Uhhhh....what about Stuck in a Moment? Or City of Blinding Lights? Or SYCMIOYO? Edge goes falsetto a lot these days! What about the new version of The Fly done on the Elevation Tour? That was Edge doing the backing falsetto...

-Miggy D

Miggy D said:

Uhhhh....what about Stuck in a Moment? Or City of Blinding Lights? Or SYCMIOYO? Edge goes falsetto a lot these days! What about the new version of The Fly done on the Elevation Tour? That was Edge doing the backing falsetto...

-Miggy D

Ahh, you're rigth, The Fly AS WELL. but AMAAW is Bono.

MrBrau1 said:

Methinks your wrong. Listen to a live version of EBTTRT from ZooTV and you'll hear Edge sing a falsetto that sounds almost exactly like on AMAAW. Without a doubt it's Edge.

ImOuttaControl said:

Methinks your wrong. Listen to a live version of EBTTRT from ZooTV and you'll hear Edge sing a falsetto that sounds almost exactly like on AMAAW. Without a doubt it's Edge.

I did forget many of Edge's backing vocals. Doesn't change the fact it's Bono on the record and Bono saying he sung it. You're wrong, along w/ many on this thread.

I think it's Bono doing the backing on 'A Man and a Woman', I don't think I've ever heard The Edge singing like that on ANY songs in which he sings falsetto! Listen to the second time the two voices sing "she was ALREADY Mine" [listen to that CAPS'd word in particular]...is Edge really able to get those notes in such a way? I've thought he's often sounded restrained doing falsetto...the 'Top of the Pops' performance of 'Stuck in a Moment...' for instance.

MrBrau1 said:

I did forget many of Edge's backing vocals. Doesn't change the fact it's Bono on the record and Bono saying he sung it. You're wrong, along w/ many on this thread.

Prove it :wink:

The majority of people think it's the Edge because it sounds like the Edge, not Bono. If there is that interview where Bono apparently said he sang that backing vocal I'd be interested to see it and will be the first one to admit I'm wrong. Without some word from a bandmember, none of us will really know and have to rely on who it most sounds like.

Back
Top Bottom