The Last of The Infamous Negative Posters says:isn't ABOY great?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marr

The Fly
Who's with me on this ?
Before the release of HTDAAB Bono claimed that :
1.it would be a guitar driven record
2.that it's punk rock made on venus
3.that the edge is on fire

Many songs on HTDAAB don't seem to coagulate with that, but ABOY does.
Edge plays one of his best riffs with a nice solo, Adam and Larry also do their best and Bono really sings, the "I'm alive.." part is next to "can you hear me when i sing"on SYCMIOYO, the best moment on the album.
And live, it's a killer...
Have you seen it on MTV Jammed ?
Any thoughts on that ?

Very good old fashioned rock song and I was unaware of your infamy, infamy they all have in for me, quite melodramatic eh?

Marr said:
Who's with me on this ?
Before the release of HTDAAB Bono claimed that :
1.it would be a guitar driven record
2.that it's punk rock made on venus
3.that the edge is on fire

Many songs on HTDAAB don't seem to coagulate with that, but ABOY does.
Edge plays one of his best riffs with a nice solo, Adam and Larry also do their best and Bono really sings, the "I'm alive.." part is next to "can you hear me when i sing"on SYCMIOYO, the best moment on the album.
And live, it's a killer...
Have you seen it on MTV Jammed ?
Any thoughts on that ?

How does ABOY sound like 'punk rock made on venus' exactly?

^
Ah a man on a mission how does it not I say in defense of dear Johnny

Re: Re: The Last of The Infamous Negative Posters says:isn't ABOY great?

roy said:

It's aggressive, full-on, powerful yet it has a Roxy music-like feel to it...
It'd say it's a bit like The Clash...Rock The Casbah mayby? :)

Ah yes, I have come to realize it now although there have been many who have been infamous including yourself so I cannot complain about this thread at all now:|

Re: Re: Re: The Last of The Infamous Negative Posters says:isn't ABOY great?

Marr said:

It's aggressive, full-on, powerful yet it has a Roxy music-like feel to it...
It'd say it's a bit like The Clash...Rock The Casbah mayby? :)

I'm even more confused now. :huh:

ABOY, aggressive? Don't think so. A Roxy Music feel, eh...no. Has a prominent dance beat like 'Rock The Casbah', you've got to be kidding...

ABOY is a great song, but is got a traditional/Who type sound.

If only U2 were as inventive as Franz Ferdinand...

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Last of The Infamous Negative Posters says:isn't ABOY great?

roy said:

I'm even more confused now. :huh:

ABOY, aggressive? Don't think so. A Roxy Music feel, eh...no. Has a prominent dance beat like 'Rock The Casbah', you've got to be kidding...

ABOY is a great song, but is got a traditional/Who type sound.

If only U2 were as inventive as Franz Ferdinand...

Oh Good....use your imagination
The solo, and the part right after it is indeed agressive, of course minding that we're talking about U2 here, not Metallica.
The Roxy Music feel- I wasn't refering to let's say "Avalon" but to something like "Virginia Plain"...

I've never belived that it sounds like The Who, Bono said it once, and everybody repeat it now...
It's not THAT traditional....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Last of The Infamous Negative Posters says:isn't ABOY great?

Marr said:

Oh Good....use your imagination
The solo, and the part right after it is indeed agressive, of course minding that we're talking about U2 here, not Metallica.
The Roxy Music feel- I wasn't refering to let's say "Avalon" but to something like "Virginia Plain"...

I would never describe Edge's beautiful bridge as agressive. As for Viriginia Plain, I have to disagree yet again. ABOY just doesn't have any sexy dance orientation, it wasn't meant to.

F**king hell Virginia Plain & Rock the Casba ohmy:, are we talking about a drug fuelled imagination? If so, all your posts start making sense. ::crazy:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Last of The Infamous Negative Posters says:isn't ABOY gre

roy said:
F**king hell Virginia Plain & Rock the Casba ohmy:, are we talking about a drug fuelled imagination? If so, all your posts start making sense. ::crazy:

Now, that's a new subject my posts and way drugs infulenced them...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Last of The Infamous Negative Posters says:isn't ABOY gre

roy said:
As for Viriginia Plain, I have to disagree yet again. ABOY just doesn't have any sexy dance orientation, it wasn't meant to.

is that sexy dance orientation? where do you go out? :)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Last of The Infamous Negative Posters says:isn't ABOY gre

Marr said:

is that sexy dance orientation? where do you go out? :)

Sorry, it was a rather bad, unoriginal, Franz Ferdinand joke. A bit like the band themselves.....

Well, there is something special about them, isn't it ? "Take me out" will be classic one day, mark my words.

Marr said:
Well, there is something special about them, isn't it ? "Take me out" will be classic one day, mark my words.

I just love how you criticise U2 for being unoriginal, yet you love Franz Ferdinand who have ripped off not just one band but an ENTIRE genre. :bow: :bow:

Perhaps it's your age..., even so thats not an excuse for being entirely ignorant... It's not as if you're twelve............are you?

roy said:

I just love how you criticise U2 for being unoriginal, yet you love Franz Ferdinand who have ripped off not just one band but an ENTIRE genre. :bow: :bow:

Perhaps it's your age..., even so thats not an excuse for being entirely ignorant... It's not as if you're twelve............are you?

I'm not a great fan of Franz Ferdinand, but I know that they will be a great band in the future, but not just know...
It's like you'd judge U2 after hearing BOY...

Secondly, i expect more from U2 then from FF, so if U2 records a good song, it's normal to me, if FF does, then it's something special.

P.S I'm 18.

I'm on the younger side of 21 too, but I love tons of music pre-90s and go as far back as the 60s, and this whole new surge of New Wave/Punk stuff reminds me alot of the late 70s/early 80s New Wave stuff.

Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, and Green Day are perfect examples.

PS - funny that U2 were parts of both New Wave-esque periods:wink:

Last edited:
While ABOY is one of their best rock songs in years, I wouldn't call it great when I look at some of the songs on the Bomb.

U2girl said:
While ABOY is one of their best rock songs in years, I wouldn't call it great when I look at some of the songs on the Bomb.

What will you say next? The Pop was a good record?!
Negative posters...

Um, I did say it's one of their best rock songs in years didn't I? How is that negative?

But IMO there are songs more deserving of the "great" label on the album.

Last edited:
Re: Re: The Last of The Infamous Negative Posters says:isn't ABOY great?

roy said:

We have to trust Bono: he's the only one that's actually been on Venus.

Back
Top Bottom