The Joshua Tree vs Bomb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote for the Tree. Just do it.

• The Joshua Tree

Votes: 121 80.7%
  • Bomb

Votes: 29 19.3%

• Total voters
The Joshua Tree

As much as I love Miracle Drug, City of Blinding Lights, and some of the other strong songs on Bomb, there's no way Bomb can touch JT.

Personally, I believe that it is U2's greatest album, although sometimes I believe that Achtung Baby comes close and even to a certain extent The Unforgettable Fire, but JT is just legendary.

namkcuR said:
Go.

'Miracle Drug', 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own', 'City Of Blinding Lights', and 'Yahweh' were attempts by U2 to replicate, at least to an extent, the type of music they made on The Joshua Tree. Those songs owe their existance to The Joshua Tree.

But weren't the 90's an attempt by U2 to replicate other 'trendier' artists/genres? I'm thinking in terms of:

EBTTRT,
The Fly,
Mysterious Ways,
HMTMKMKM,
Lemon,
DGPFYCC,
Mofo,
Miami...

None of the above come close to an original sound yet are considered by many on these boards to be 'creative' & 'daring'? :huh: I guess the litmus test is whether there are any bands whose music (not image) was influenced by 90's U2. Can you name any?

At least on HTDAAB the only debt they owed was to themselves.

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:
There will be fans genuinely voting for HTDAAB, but I'm sure there will be other people voting for it out of spite.

Of course, no one isn't voting against HTDAAB out of spite.

U2girl said:

Of course, no one isn't voting against HTDAAB out of spite.

No need to be sarcastic - I'm dead sure there are people doing that too. I never said there weren't. Either way, these polls are incredibly stupid. The poll creators are quite obviously posting them to get people to vote against HTDAAB. And I also have a feeling that there are some avid HTDAAB supporters who are voting against albums they normally would vote for (not that I would blame them either, considering the original intent of these polls.)

I have not tried to sway anyone in any way in any of the three polls I have created. I can't speak for the other poll creators, but I just wanted to see how Bomb would fair against the 'classics'(War, UF, JT, AB). That's all. I was considering doing bomb vs pop, but I don't think I will.

Only JT & AB get my vote over Bomb...for what its worth. Throw your stones bitches..cos hey, your bound to hit someone guilty ;)

You should do POP & Bomb, since they are generally derided by most people on here. Having said that, there is a strange compulsion towards pop on interference...

namkcuR said:
I have not tried to sway anyone in any way in any of the three polls I have created.

"Vote for the Tree. Just do it."

"Vote For The Fire. Just Do It."

???

GibsonGirl said:

"Vote for the Tree. Just do it."

"Vote For The Fire. Just Do It."

???

Do you think anyone actually voted for Fire or Tree just because I typed those lines there? I don't think so.

namkcuR said:

Do you think anyone actually voted for Fire or Tree just because I typed those lines there? I don't think so.

Whether anyone did or not is not important. It's rather obvious what you wanted people to vote for, so I don't really see how you can say you just wanted to see how HTDAAB would "fare against the classics." Forgive me if I'm wrong, but all you seem to want to do is see HTDAAB lose. If people do actually prefer HTDAAB over the classics...well, that's fine. It's their taste, not yours. You don't need to insert your opinion into the poll title.

It starts. :uhoh:

Can't we have a thread without bad vibes? :sad:

I LUV YOU ALL! -toasts chocolate milX- HAPPY NEW YEARS!

Axver said:
I can't believe six people have actually voted for Bomb.

Come on, how can you vote for HTDAAB when JT is opened by the glory of the Holy Trinity, closed by the eerie Suite Of Death, and supported by a rock-solid middle?

Voting for HTDAAB over JT is like voting for a paper plane instead of the Concorde in a poll asking "what is the faster form of passenger air transport?"

:bow:

namkcuR said:
I have not tried to sway anyone in any way in any of the three polls I have created. I can't speak for the other poll creators, but I just wanted to see how Bomb would fair against the 'classics'(War, UF, JT, AB). That's all. I was considering doing bomb vs pop, but I don't think I will.

"Come on, vote for the Tree."

"Come on, vote for the Fire."

"It makes me want to scream Bomb is winning against Boy."

It's painfully obvious you want to see Bomb lose in any poll it's in.

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:

No need to be sarcastic - I'm dead sure there are people doing that too. I never said there weren't.

That's my point - you only singled out the people voting for the Bomb "out of spite" in your earlier post.
I think more people vote against it ouf of spite, but anyway.

U2girl said:
What a nice little unbiased intro to this poll.

yeah, because there's really a hope in hell of ANY form of biased intro in favour of 'The Bomb' swinging ANYONE in their right mind to vote for said record.

The Joshua Tree all the way. Possibly the greatest album ever made, absolutely perfect in every way. The only way 'How To...' could even BEGIN to compete is by someone arguing that 'Mercy' was recorded at the same time, thankfully that could surface on the next record, which will hopefully be half-listenable after a year...!

U2girl said:

That's my point - you only singled out the people voting for the Bomb "out of spite" in your earlier post.
I think more people vote against it ouf of spite, but anyway.

:shrug:

Back
Top Bottom