The Joshua Tree Super Deluxe - Out of Print?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thelaj

Refugee
Due to some mix-ups at the start of December I have only managed to order this today, but the order from Zavvi came back returned!

In the UK HMV and Zavvi (formerly Virgin Megastore) now list it as out of print! I wasn't aware it was an ACTUAL limited edition :(

So, where am I going to get it without paying £45 on eBay?

it has indeed gone out of print.. your best bet is to try and find an unsold copy, provided the product hasn't been returned the supplier

Is that Amazon US?
Amazon UK only has them from "other sellers", most the reasonably priced ones being from the US.

$90 for a CD is pretty damned steep.

KBRY: You may have saved me...

I placed an order with another vendor after a lot of searching around for £28. I've not heard of BangCD before (which is fine) but it seems they source their products "globally" so I am concerned the DVD will be NTSC format. This other shop I ordered from may not have stock though so I have asked them to confirm ASAP.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Out of print??????
I'm surprised to hear that as I saw lots of copies of it in the Picadilly Circus(london) branch of Zavvi yesterday, and HMV too.

Wow. Maybe I should actually go out and look for this before it's gone. :lol:

What's the DVD like?

t8thgr8 said:
its about an hour and a half of Bono's face with music coming from somewhere behind him.

Ah, so it's overly Bono-centric? That's a pity. Maybe I'll just get the plain old remaster. I saw the 2-CD version at Wal-Mart for a relatively cheap amount.

Out of print already? That would be daft. The Super Deluxe version is really the only one worth getting if you ask me. I'd feel particularly ripped off if I'd only bought the 1CD edition.

thelaj said:
KBRY: You may have saved me...

I placed an order with another vendor after a lot of searching around for £28. I've not heard of BangCD before (which is fine) but it seems they source their products "globally" so I am concerned the DVD will be NTSC format. This other shop I ordered from may not have stock though so I have asked them to confirm ASAP.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

So did you manage to order it in the end?

Don't think the disc will be NTSC though so don't let that worry you.

If it's any help to anyone I ordered a copy of this from www.hmv.co.uk on Friday and it arrived today!

I'd originally tried to get it from a reseller on Amazon.co.uk but they ran out of stock.

Teddy

t8thgr8 said:
its about an hour and a half of Bono's face with music coming from somewhere behind him.

Hardly. It has a far better balance than any Hamish Hamilton DVD, that's for sure.

It looks incredibly cheap though; you can literally see the strings. Plus, crew members walk in and out of shots, moving stuff around. It's like the polar opposite of every other U2 DVD. Welcome to pro-shot. :wink:

:yes: It's is very Bono-focused. As I said before, bring on Phil Joanou directed DVD for this tour or forget it.

While Hamish Hamilton of Slane and Boston may have recorded a DVD like that back in 1987, I'd say H. H. of Chicago and especially Milan is better.

t8thgr8 said:
are you serious? because im not exaggerating at all. it certainly reached awkward status.

To be fair, I only watched it up to Bad. Maybe from then on it becomes a complete Bono-fest. :shrug:

TedUK said:
If it's any help to anyone I ordered a copy of this from www.hmv.co.uk on Friday and it arrived today!

I'd originally tried to get it from a reseller on Amazon.co.uk but they ran out of stock.

Teddy

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&sku=719790

Unavailable.

I ordered it from Roughtrade.co.uk but I haven't actually heard anything from them so that sucks. I ordered it before I was told of BangCD so that annoyed me. My girlfriend bought it from eBay for £40 and it got delivered yesterday, but I refuse to accept it because I hate the fact she bought it when she knew I had already ordered it.

LemonMelon said:

Hardly. It has a far better balance than any Hamish Hamilton DVD, that's for sure.

It looks incredibly cheap though; you can literally see the strings. Plus, crew members walk in and out of shots, moving stuff around. It's like the polar opposite of every other U2 DVD. Welcome to pro-shot. :wink:

I agree with everything you said, and have some comments / questions of my own to add:

- For a pro-shot concert, the editing, photography and direction are surprisingly poor. Even with the large number of camera angles evident, it still looks like a multi-cam bootleg. But, at least the director holds onto shots for longer than Hamish Hamilton's customary half a second. (Are there any production credits for this concert available, or has it just been randomly plucked from the archives?)
- What is the Hippodrome de Vincennes, a racecourse or a public park maybe? At one point, Bono goes walkabout to the very edge of the stage, and what looks like a family walking their dog can be seen wandering about in the background.
- Bono's interaction with the crowd is superb. His decision to invite a huge, hefty, topless man onstage is ill-advised when the guy lifts him up - yet Bono keeps on singing! Then, later on, a girl appears on stage with a bottle of champagne and two glasses (or plastic tumblers). A man seemingly impossible to surprise, Bono opens the bottle, fills the two glasses and enjoys the moment.
- Adam Clayton sings! On IWF, ISHFWILF, WOWY and (I think) Trip Through Your Wires. Having said that, Edge's backing vocals are so prominent that he always drowns out Adam's contributions, and also those from Larry.
- Love the extended version of WOWY, with its tear gas interruption and Bono castigating, well who exactly - misbehaving fans, heavy-handed stage crew? - "Nobody gets hurt at a U2 concert!" etc.
- As is already known, the concert is incomplete, as some cover versions have been omitted - presumably to avoid paying royalties or getting permissions etc. But if that's the case, why are some U2 songs present with their snippets intact (Love Will Tear Us Apart, Exodus, for example)? Surely the relevant permissions have to be obtained for these?

This concert is very enjoyable, although I pity anyone in the crowd who was stuck behind the mixing desk / lighting tent thing - the damn thing looks about three stories high!

Also worthy of a mention is the documentary, Outside It's America, for just a few reasons:

- The crap 80s fonts used on the transitions and credits.
- The revelation that the band's stage clothes were also their everyday apparel too (even Bono's horrific leather waistcoat).
- The fact that, unlike at any point in Rattle and Hum's documentary segments, the band actually appear to be relaxed and having fun, even with cameras following them around.
- Country / roots music plays on a bar's jukebox. The band listen intently, clearly sensing a new musical direction as they shoot some pool. Scary men sit at the bar, drinking beers. Larry Mullen wanders around, looking like a gay man's wet dream version of James Dean.

Morgoth321 said:

Then, later on, a girl appears on stage with a bottle of champagne and two glasses (or plastic tumblers).

Yeah...that would be his wife.

Back
Top Bottom