The Joshua Tree remastering (comparisons)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mobvok

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Of the new Joshua Tree tracks, the one I was most interested in was Exit. It's one of my favorites, but I have one of the CDs with One Tree Hill's coda at the start and the low volume so I was excited for the remaster. I just downloaded Exit and set up a playlist on iTunes with One Tree Hill before it.

Results:

The volume is a bit louder, but the biggest difference is that Adam's bass is clearer. This is especially notable because I'm noticing the bass despite the crappy iPod earphones I just plugged in. Bono's voice is clearer, leading to a neat effect I hadn't heard before: there's an echo in Bono's vocals, so when he says "the howling wind", it's even creepier then the original.

The other thread has descended into Wave of Sorrow requests- anyone else with original/remastered comparisons of tracks?

Last edited:
Good thread, let's keep all the demo talk, requests and pricing banter out of here. I've only got the iTunes versions at the moment, but i've got good headphones!

I've compared my fave 4 tracks from JT: OTH, RTSS, Exit, and RHMT to the remasters.

The first thing i noticed was that there is more clarity with the drums particularly. Also the remasters are noticeably louder but I haven't heard any clipping. The background strumming on RTSS is more apparent, and the keyboard part that runs through OTH sounds a lot more crisp. It does seem like they've kept a good level of separation, and not just pushed everything up to number 11. Bono's vocals also seem warmer.

So, first listen I am pretty happy especially with the drums and vocals. they also seem to have eliminated some hiss...

Interested in what others think though?

great thread, this is making me VERY keen to get the double LP as well as the deluxe CD :drool:

I'm getting the CD this morning, but from what everyone is describing, it sounds like they have compressed the dynamic range.

Great for iPod listening, but not so great for listening on a nice home stereo.

I'll be most interested in comparing the new remaster to the MFSL version.

I really, really enjoyed Exit. It was amazingly clear, especially the bass. One Tree Hill also had way more bass clarity, and I loved it. Streets and ISHFWILF were just transcendental. I haven't listened to it all yet, but I'm currently enjoying the clearer bass on RHMT.

I think Adam benefited most from the remaster, then Larry.

I do think they've compressed the dynamic range, but I pretty much only use my iPod anyway.

Holy shit. In God's Country just jumped up like 50 songs on my favorites list. Holy shit.

IGC and TTYW both really show off Edge better.

Got the cd/dvd box from Homers here in Omaha (the cashier mentioned he didn't think he was ever going to sell it... nevermind just after they opened for the day... right).. in terms of the remastering, it feels like I'm listening to a brand new 2007 album. It really made JT even more timeless than it was before. Everything just sounds fuller, RHMT especially. I also think the drums in BTBS are louder, especially during the solo, just seem to pound even more than before.

Just listened to the remaster for the first time here at work with ok headphones...

First impressions - it sounds excellent to me. I don't notice any clipping, and I don't think they made it too loud. Someone else noted the bass, and I agree - it stands out much more now, but in a good way.

To me, the revelation of this remaster is the final three. One Tree Hill, Exit, and Mothers sound absolutely beautiful. Mothers in particular seems to have benefitted greatly.

Next up is the bonus disc, but later tonight I'll have to check this out on the home system.

i have the msfl and i remember noticing a lot of extra sounds in mothers. like the railroad track sound was much clearer. im gonna download the new remaster and compare, just have to find it.....

Still need to compare to the other CD versions I have at home, but so far, they are definitely improved. Luminous Times was unbelievable - they really worked on the low end in this remastering. The bass sounds incredible.

Gotta get through the rest, but if it's anything like Luminous Times, then I'm in for a real treat.

Varitek said:
Holy shit. In God's Country just jumped up like 50 songs on my favorites list. Holy shit.

IGC and TTYW both really show off Edge better.

:combust: I can't wait to get this thing. Wow.

Listening to it now on Yahoo Music...there have been some obvious improvements. Much of the muddiness has been removed; it's much clearer. Many of the "little" things Edge is playing are now up front and obvious, bass is a bit louder, etc...

Good work on the remastering. It doesn't even sound that much louder, if at all.

Achtung Baby needs this. Now.

I plan to enjoy this on my iPod in Apple Lossless for a while before I downgrade it to 256kps.

Now, what to do with this slightly used copy of the Joshua Tree gold disc from Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs...?

jmelrose said:
I plan to enjoy this on my iPod in Apple Lossless for a while before I downgrade it to 256kps.

Now, what to do with this slightly used copy of the Joshua Tree gold disc from Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs...?

how much better is the new remaster? does the msfl copy beat the new remaster out in anyway? i guess that gold msfl jt you have is not worth 100 dollars anymore since this release today. i should probably look into selling my war and unforgettable fire msfls before they remaster those two.

t8thgr8 said:

how much better is the new remaster? does the msfl copy beat the new remaster out in anyway? i guess that gold msfl jt you have is not worth 100 dollars anymore since this release today. i should probably look into selling my war and unforgettable fire msfls before they remaster those two.

$100?! is THAT how much they go for these days? Hell, I got mine for like $30 (all 3 albums, actually) and thought it was a bargain.

On first listen...and I'm at work with speakers, but turned down low, it sounds like the music is sharper and clearer. On the ending of Bullet The Blue Sky the guitar sound is much sharper than I remember on my CD's or iTunes files.

I really need to blast in the car and then on headphones for full effect, but I'm impressed so far...:up:

Just listened to it all the way through on my hi fi system. Wow, they did a great job with it. I agree with what everyone else is saying. Bass and drums are clear crisp and sound fantastic. :up:

This is a light remastering (maybe a 3db boost). Opening up the audio in an editor reveals that. Thankfully they didn't give it a HTDAAB treatment, but there's probably room for more compression - vocal levels sound pretty close to the original, but bass and drums are a bit louder.

Blue Room said:
Just listened to it all the way through on my hi fi system. Wow, they did a great job with it. I agree with what everyone else is saying. Bass and drums are clear crisp and sound fantastic. :up:

After listening to it first on headphones at work, I checked it out on my system at home last night, and it really has been done very well.

I can't wait to hear the other albums get this treatment now. I can just imagine how The Unforgettable Fire will be...

:drool:

The difference between this version and the MFSL version is minimal however this version does seem to bring a lot more bass to the forefront which isnt a bad thing. Overall the job done with this remaster is quite admerable...hopefully they stick to the same format for future albums.

jmelrose said:

I don't have the remastered set myself (yet :wink: ), but from what I've read on other forums, the MSFL still has the best sound. This remaster might be a good second, but it isn't the MFSL. So hold on to it.

Yahweh said:
Overall the job done with this remaster is quite admerable...hopefully they stick to the same format for future albums.

I think the instruments are done well, but vocals could use more punch. They still sound a bit distant to me.

Back
Top Bottom