The Joshua Tree Forever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RocknRollKitty

Acrobat
It's no secret, yes, of course I'm her alter
My newspaper's travel section had a story about Joshua Tree National Park. I saw the picture of a Joshua tree. Naturally the first thing I thought was, will they mention U2? The first line of the long story was, "the first time I ever heard of Joshua trees was over a decade ago when I was buying the U2 album of the same name." I was so proud!

But the question is this: is JT the most loved and best recognized album by casual or non fans? Is it the one that makes them a household name, and the one that will live on beyond the rest? Why or why not, and do you have a problem with this. I do not.

I would say JT is the most well-known U2 album, the best recognised by non fans and music lovers in general. I wouldn?t say it?s the most loved though, I mean, concerning that same public. Most appreciated, perhaps, non fans don?t exactly love like we do.

I wouldn?t say that JT is the one that will live on beyond the rest. Too soon to predict. I think Larry said something like "our best work is not behind us, is in front of us"...or ahead us...something like that. I like to believe it?s true.

Last question...I don?t have any problem with JT being so well-know and recognised. I?m proud of their work and JT is a superb album, no doubt. An oustanding body of work, the best in 80?s era among any other artists/bands.

Cheers
MT

Last edited:
Edge said 'our best work isnt behind us, its ahead of us.' And yes, that is true. Although U2 are widely known by non-fans for their work in the 80's, most of the work is underappreciated. So, yeah it is one of the most recognised, all of the albums are called the best or live beyond the rest, but in different terms. JT will be the 'breakthrough', AB the 'Defining moment' you know, things like that. But theyre all very good and not just because theyre by U2, but because they can all identify with people no matter what the year.

The Joshua Tree is definitely the most well-known album, and it seems like some people think it was their first one! I have no problem with it being so famous, and while I would love to see U2 make some better work that lives on even beyond it, I think they most likely won't and that the only album that really has a chance of out-living it is Achtung Baby.

I agree with everyone else - JT is the one album that most non-U2 fans I know, know about. And the songs from JT are the ones that the non-U2 fans know - ISHFWILF, Streets, WOWY. I don't mind it being famous because it's well-deserved fame, and besides, there's plenty of other albums for U2 fans to enjoy without their being too popular with non-U2 fans.

Saracene said:
Yeah, I think that in public consciousness Joshua Tree will always be the Ultimate U2 Album. While Achtung Baby will always be the Ultimate U2 Re-Invention Album. I don't have any problems with that.

I don't know about that. In my mind, JT will be the U2 album that got them massive worldwide attention, and so thusly their most recognized b/c of all the hits. I'm not so sure it could be the Ultimate U2 Album, because I couldn't point at the JT and say "THIS is U2, pure U2." They've reinvented themselves so many times I'm not sure if JT is the Ultimate U2 Album, but rather the most Recognized. Though it surely was a line in the sand at the time.

I would just venture to say that JT and AB are the Most Loved.. equally. I just realized I have no idea what I'm trying to say here... :lol:

But I don't have a "problem" either way with how U2 albums are considered, acclaimed or ragged on. It's just not something I deem necessary to have a "problem" with.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom