The Joshua Tree and Zooropa 'Extended Albums' (Fan made!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Balfron

Acrobat
Hi all

I saw on Interference, ages ago, a fan made playlist of the Joshua Tree album. It had the B-Sides from the era in it, and it flowed really well and worked very well. Same with Zooropa. The Zooropa album included HMKMTMKM (lol is that the right abbreviation?)

Anyway, I can't search the threads here unfortunately, but would someone mind sharing their ultimate Joshua Tree and Zooropa playlists? Any other playlists from U2 are welcome too, for that matter!

Has anyone tried making a concert playlist from studio recordings? Does it work?

Thanks!

The Restored Joshua Tree:

1.Where The Streets Have No Name
2.Silver And Gold (Studio Version)
3.I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
4.Spanish Eyes
5.With Or Without You
6.Luminous Times
7.Walk To The Water
8.Bullet The Blue Sky
9.Running To Stand Still
10.Red Hill Mining Town
11.Race Against Time
12.In God's Country
13.Trip Through Your Wires
14.Sweetest Thing (Original mix)
15.One Tree Hill
16.Deep In The Heart
17.Exit
18.Mothers Of The Disappeared

more info:
http://www.tiede.com/joshuatree/

Some say "Beautiful Ghost/Introduction to Songs of Experience" fits well at the very beginning before "Streets".

The_Edge89 said:

Some say "Beautiful Ghost/Introduction to Songs of Experience" fits well at the very beginning before "Streets".

It does indeed, IMO.

The whole "extended album" thing is much easier to do for The Joshua Tree than it is for Zooropa, because there were alot more b-sides for The Joshua Tree and most if not all of them were songs that were actually recorded for the album. Zooropa, on the other hand, didn't get any b-sides like that. The only excised songs from those sessions made available to the public are HMTMKMKM, Miss Sarejevo(?) and a handfull of songs that ended up on Pop, none of which are available as they sounded when recorded for Zooropa.

Last edited:

What is this?

Joshua Tree outtake. Made it's first appearence in the Rare and Unreleased section of the itunes "Box-set".

Is it an full-fledged song or more of an interesting ditty? You did say "open" for Streets so is it just an intro or something?

It's Bono reciting the William Blake poem 'Introduction to Songs of Experience' over an instrumental track of ambient strings. It's really haunting stuff, Bono's voice sounds amazing and the overall sound could segue into the Streets intro perfectly.

Has anyone else noticed how similar Bono's voice sounded to current Bono on "Beautiful Ghost"? I couldn't believe it was from the "JT" era when I first heard it. It is hauntingly gorgeous though:drool:

I have a nice ATYCLB - even if it has Electrical Storm in it, so some people may not accept that...

Levitate
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Walk On
Stuck In A Moment
Electrical Storm
Summer Rain
Kite
In A Little While
New York
When I Look At The World
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Stateless

Here's the perfect "Zooropa."

Zooropa
Babyface
Your Blue Room
Numb
Lemon (Lemonade Mix)
Miss Sarajevo
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Some Days Are Better Than Others
The First Time
Slow Dancing
Dirty Day (Junk Day)
The Wanderer (Soundtrack Version)

and for Joshua Tree, here's the perfect running order for an 80 minute cdr:

Beautiful Ghost / Introduction to Songs of Experience
Where The Streets Have No Name (Edited Single Version)
Silver And Gold
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Deep In The Heart
Spanish Eyes
With Or Without You
Luminous Times (Hold On To Love)
Walk To The Water
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
Red Hill Mining Town
In God's Country
Trip Through Your Wires
Sweetest Thing
One Tree Hill
Exit (volume adjusted)
Mothers Of The Disappeared

I agree with many of the top about JT. Zooropa should stay as it is. That belongs with the ZooTV era and is for a reason. So while we are at it, my order for Pop:

1.) Discotheque (something similar to the New Mix, but keep the Boomchas)
2.) Mofo
3.) Gone
4.) Last Night On Earth
5.) Holy Joe
6.) Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (fits more with PopMart than ZooTV)
7.) If You Wear That Velvet Dress
8.) Do You Feel Loved
9.) Staring at the Sun (New Mix)
10.) Miami
11.) Please
12.) If God Will Send His Angels
13.) Playboy Mansion
14.) Wake Up Dead Man

There are some really interesting track listings here, but I think that one danger is that better doesn't necessarily equate to longer. I think that short, concise and to the point, with some good b-sides is better than too long. Spanish Eyes is probably the only song that might make it on to the Joshua Tree for me (Sweetest Thing is a great song, but was only really realised in the 1998 version). Nothing would make me change Zooropa, except to perhaps go with the original idea of dividing the title track in two and making 'Babel' - the opening - the first track, just out of curiosity more than anything else.

Sweetest Thing is a great song, but was only really realised in the 1998 version

You think so? To me, they're almost identical. The JT version is a little rougher around the edges, but I do agree it doesn't really fit into the overall theme of TJT album.

That's what people should consider,IMHO. Sometimes just adding all the b-sides into the album proper can disrupt an album's flow.

The ones I would agrue might be themetically tied into TJT are the WOWY b-sides Walk to the Water and Luminous Times.

jedi Larry said:
Sweetest Thing is a great song, but was only really realised in the 1998 version

You think so? To me, they're almost identical. The JT version is a little rougher around the edges, but I do agree it doesn't really fit into the overall theme of TJT album.

There are definately differences. Larry doesn't switch into the faster tempo at the end in the Single Mix, and the 87 version lacks that glorious string section that kicks in at about two minutes in. Not to mention the differences in Bono's vocal deliveries.

livviebway said:
I've never heard Race Against Time, that was one of the few that wasn't released on the B-sides disc, wasn't it? Could anyone send that over?

dreamoutloud87@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Race Against Time was a B side to the Streets 12" single and CD single. Instrumental only, something I dont think U2 are that great at. Although I do like "Bass Trap" and "Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come".

I like the 'restored' version of The Joshua Tree and that is the version I listen to most.

Here is my POP v2.0

1. Discotheque [12" Mix]
2. Do You Feel Loved [Album version]
3. Mofo [Album version]
4. If God Will Send His Angels [Single Mix]
5. Staring At The Sun [Best Of Mix]
6. Last Night On Earth [Single Mix]
7. Gone [Best Of Mix]
8. Miami [Album version]
9. The Playboy Mansion [Album version]
10. If You Wear That Velvet Dress [Album version]
11. Please [Single Mix]