"The" Joshua Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zooropa man said:
doctorwho said:

What's a "whala"? Oh, you mean voilà (or voila). :sexywink:

For years, people who did come across the tree refused to divulge where it was. U2 even felt this way. This was because it was feared that something would happen...

Yeah, I guess that's what I mean. lol

I guess I just want to make that trip. I think that it'll be awesome to just stand there and breath in the desert air that sorrounds the landscape.

For the ones that have been there recently, would you guys mind giving me the exact location of it? How far off the road it is, what marker etc. etc.... any information you may have. That way it won't take long hours of searching... I would gladly appreciate it. I know some are very ademant about sharing the coordinates and such but... c'mon, we are U2 fans right?

mr_mcphisto93@yahoo.com

Thanks!
If you'd like to share that info I'd love it as well. I know my family will never put up with hours of searching :( And of course I'd be respectful of the tree and the info. Thanks :)

vertigo624@sbcglobal.net

I had exact coordinates and it STILL took almost 2 hours of searching through the desert to find it. :slant: Those google maps are about perfect though. They should get you to the right spot, then the rest is up to you.

All i can tell you is that it is about 3/4 of a mile off the highway. Precise directions are impossible. It is the desert. And it's definitely alot harder now that the tree has fallen. But it is worth the trip. Good luck to those who give it a go.

One question: are there any memorabilia sorrounding the site? I've seen pic's of a CD jewel case (of course, don't know how long ago that was). Anything that will identify it from a distance?

There were a few items left at the site when I was there. But all of them are placed inside the tree branches, so there's no way to see them from afar. Besides the fallen tree, you should also look for rocks on the ground, made in the different shapes of U2's albums. There's one for ATYCLB, Zooropa and HTDAAB. Plus a few people spelled U2 with rocks. The'yre small, but it's something to look for, because once you're out there in the desert, everything looks the exact same.

Zooropa man said:
One question: are there any memorabilia sorrounding the site? I've seen pic's of a CD jewel case (of course, don't know how long ago that was). Anything that will identify it from a distance?

I found this on YOUTUBE check it out! It may help in the quest!
I want to do this too!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fyuafV_fG8E

mediaman44 said:
awesome video. I think it is neat, kinda a holy grail of U2 sites.

And that's why, this video is NOT COOL. It is fine, that fans do a pilgrimage there; it is fine, that you leave "gifts" there - but it is a shame, that some people now are SITTING on the falllen tree. Please preserve the area and try not to destroy anything!

Yeah, normally I would have to say sitting on a fallen tree is not a big deal, but this is different, it's not a normal situation. It really is a "sacred" place to U2 fans. (I haven't watched the vid so I don't know exactly what happened there.)

^^ Ya, I kinda thought it was sacrilegious too. ( sitting on it)

It's a spiritual symbol for most of us fans and should be treated with respect.

I think most people that make the journey out there are respectful, but there are always idiots amougnst us.

Last edited:
martha said:

I cleaned up some crap a few years ago.

Hopefully you left all those neat rock creations of the ATYCLB suitcase and the Vertigo target, along with rocks formed in the shape of simply "U2". I also liked the albums and notes left there. I'm speaking of the video on YouTube done in '05 showing all that stuff. I'd be happy if those were still there - shows fans cared about past and new U2. It kind of brings it all together. :yes:

But if you cleaned up garbage by inconsiderat "fans" :madwife: then thank you very much!

I have to disagree w/the clean up. Fans have taken their time to bring things to the site for years. The albums and cd's usually have messages written inside the covers. I would not take the liberty to remove anyone's "petition" or journal.

Now, if I found cigarette butts, gum wrappers and beer cans. That would piss me off! The environment will absorb the "tributes" in good time. The are a testament to what that site means to the fans, (hardcore or otherwise).

Jess

Jdragonfly said:
I have to disagree w/the clean up. Fans have taken their time to bring things to the site for years. The albums and cd's usually have messages written inside the covers.

This is the desert, not a statue in a public place. If fans want to write a "message" they can do it here. The crap they leave behind damages the sensitive desert environment, and can injure the animals who live there. No one needs to leave an album cover flapping in the wind in the middle of nowhere. It rains and snows there, and it gets extremely hot. All that will ruin any memento left. The band will never see anything left there, and the crap will be destroyed anyway.

martha said:

This is the desert, not a statue in a public place. If fans want to write a "message" they can do it here. The crap they leave behind damages the sensitive desert environment, and can injure the animals who live there. No one needs to leave an album cover flapping in the wind in the middle of nowhere. It rains and snows there, and it gets extremely hot. All that will ruin any memento left. The band will never see anything left there, and the crap will be destroyed anyway.

I have to disagree with you here. I think fans who make the trek should be able to leave a cd behind if they want. Who are you to say whether it is right or not? The tree is not your property. I personally didn't leave anything there, but when I saw the cds and the tube that others had left, i thought it was touching. It makes me sad that somebody went out there and removed what some of these fans obviously felt strongly about. Like the person above said, I can understand removing actual trash like cigarette butts and beer cans (although i'd be surprised if anyone was that disrespectful). But for some fans it probably meant an awful lot for them to leave something at the tree. They probably thought long and hard about it and then you went and removed it. Just doesn't seem right.

I knew I shouldn't have said anything. :rolleyes:

I get so sick of people trashing the desert. No, it's not my property, but why is it so important for people to leave crap all over the desert? It just doesn't seem right for people to leave stuff sitting by a dead tree. It gets blown away, and the animals suffer. It gets rained on, snowed on, melted, and buried. It's not a fucking statue; it's part of a living environment. Would you leave random cds and lp covers on the beach or in a mountain stream? No. That would be littering.

Pretend I didn't remove anything then if that makes you feel better. Then when you finally get there, the damn thing will be buired with other people's shit. The desert will be strewn with old cds and pieces of album covers.

Yeah, that'll make us all proud to be U2 fans.

It was my understanding that the reason U2 never spoke about where the actual tree was is because they didn't want it to turn into some kind of shrine or be damaged. No matter how sentimental the thought, leaving that stuff is damaging to the environment. Look at it this way, people leave stuff at the Vietnam Memorial too, but it has to be periodically picked up. I believe they have a procedure in place to deal with the mementos left behind but they are not left out in the open forever because the monument would soon be obscured by the gifts. Since the actual Joshua Tree is not a managed site with procedure in place for dealing with this stuff then that means that anything left behind is really ultimately litter. The intentions behind leaving the item don't change that fact.

Dana

This is not a shrine, not a holy grail and not Disneyland. It is a place in the desert, pure neature – where fans should be able to be a alone in silence and whateever. But don't leave anything there, please. In the end it is all litter, damaging the natural environment, that makes this area so special: especially for us fans ...

I have to agree with martha as well. This is the wilderness, and while it's ok for us to visit and enjoy, nothing should be left there. (or taken for that matter)

It's not a shrine, but it's treated as a sort of "grail" to some fans. Yes, I have seen random tributes in a forest, at a park, and at a beach. Unmanaged and unsolicited by any official. Yet, I would't take it upon myself to alter it. I can understand the objections to littering. I can understand if something is a hazard!

I hope everyone will be as aware of the environment when they throw crap out the car window on the highway. (I'm damn sure that's not just a Jersey thing!) And we have sensitive environments including an abundance of wildlife as well.

I am not being ignorant here. But I would like to think that my opinion is respected along w/anyone elses. That's all...

I don't think anyone is disrespectful of opinions here. At least I certainly didn't mean to be. It's just that again, the fact is that this is wilderness. ANYthing left there is littering. It's understandable that u2 fans feel a great and even spiritual connection with the place. But unfortunately that doesn't matter here.

Back
Top Bottom