The Japan 12/4/06 Bootleg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DevilsShoes

War Child
I've been listening to this show alot lately, it's gotten a fair bit of attention on here and for good reason, it has to be contender for maybe the best Vertigo concert.

The audience/earpiece matrix version over on U2start is stunning. As great as soundboards are, they are often criticised for being a little dry and lacking spirit or mood, but there's no such problems here, the band's performance is sharp and clear without sacrificing any audience presence, the two exist side by side, harmoniously, the atmosphere and emotion of the gig is captured brilliantly.

All the songs are performed with energy and drive, the sound quality being so good means that you pick up on all the subtleties that Edge and Larry conjure up and as for Bono's voice, well alot's been made of how good it was on the fifth leg but this show maybe encapulates it.

If you just close your eyes for a second you could almost believe it's ZOO TV Bono up there on stage, belting the tunes out. He really was living the songs on this night, he's not just reeling off the words, he always sounds present and in the moment, clear as a bell and soaring. COBL, BD, ISHFWILF, Vertigo, First Time and Streets are all brilliant, but it's Bad where he really shines, breathing life into the old classic, it's one the shortest versions of the tour, but for me it's probably the best, he gives a confident and committed vocal, especially on the 'Wide Awakes' which are sung with real vigour.

Anyway, just thought I post a few impressions.

yes DS....i agree, I think the next tour will pick up where Vertigo tour ended in terms of Bono's voice....and hopefully even better...the tone of his Union Chapel voice suggests an even better voice for the next album/tour...

as far as Bad goes in this show, i think it's one of the better versions of this song ever, but I don't hear too much talk about this performance specifically, it's really special...and also ISHFWILF, that performance is absolutely the best version of that song on Vertigo Tour IMO...can anyone prove me wrong?

That whole show is great, Miss Sarejevo and SYCMIOYO....WOW!

I think the audience recording is much better than the earpiece one though, it's more atmospheric and captures the band as a whole moreso than the earpiece...quite obviously...everything is more tin sounding kinda in the earpiece

Anyone have this show in lossless form?

I have a full length video of the concert that I'd like to sync with a decent audio track so I can share it at U2torrents.

4U2Play said:

I have a full length video of the concert that I'd like to sync with a decent audio track so I can share it at U2torrents.

you have full length video?!?!

how'd you get that? :hyper:

4U2Play said:

The iem still has seeders on Dime and Traders Den.. You're looking for the matrix in lossless? I don't think I ever saw that on any tracker.

Thanks rose, I actually want the audience recording, rather than the IEM. Like others, I find the IEM too dry and tinny. I know some people who made awesome audience tapes of all three Tokyo shows, I mean really near-soundboard quality, but they refuse to share them. So, the search continues...

Rob33 said:
yes DS....i agree, I think the next tour will pick up where Vertigo tour ended in terms of Bono's voice....and hopefully even better...the tone of his Union Chapel voice suggests an even better voice for the next album/tour...

as far as Bad goes in this show, i think it's one of the better versions of this song ever, but I don't hear too much talk about this performance specifically, it's really special...and also ISHFWILF, that performance is absolutely the best version of that song on Vertigo Tour IMO...can anyone prove me wrong?

That whole show is great, Miss Sarejevo and SYCMIOYO....WOW!

:yes: :up:

Hell no that this is the best bootleg of the tour. I really hate these IEM recordings where you can hear some weird shit in the background and zero crowd participation. It has no live feel whatsoever. Not to mention the fact that this concert had IMHO a weak 3rd-night-in-the-same-city setlist (just compare this to Dublin III and Boston III from the same tour).

DevilsShoes said:
I've been listening to this show alot lately, it's gotten a fair bit of attention on here and for good reason, it has to be contender for maybe the best Vertigo concert.

The audience/earpiece matrix version over on U2start is stunning. As great as soundboards are, they are often criticised for being a little dry and lacking spirit or mood, but there's no such problems here, the band's performance is sharp and clear without sacrificing any audience presence, the two exist side by side, harmoniously, the atmosphere and emotion of the gig is captured brilliantly.

All the songs are performed with energy and drive, the sound quality being so good means that you pick up on all the subtleties that Edge and Larry conjure up and as for Bono's voice, well alot's been made of how good it was on the fifth leg but this show maybe encapulates it.

If you just close your eyes for a second you could almost believe it's ZOO TV Bono up there on stage, belting the tunes out. He really was living the songs on this night, he's not just reeling off the words, he always sounds present and in the moment, clear as a bell and soaring. COBL, BD, ISHFWILF, Vertigo, First Time and Streets are all brilliant, but it's Bad where he really shines, breathing life into the old classic, it's one the shortest versions of the tour, but for me it's probably the best, he gives a confident and committed vocal, especially on the 'Wide Awakes' which are sung with real vigour.

Anyway, just thought I post a few impressions.

I would say even better then ZooTV, just take for an example, there is no version of Bad from ZooTV when Bono hits and hold the high C with a clean voice like on Vertigo tour . When he tried he strained his voice alot. The high "Don't you look back" on WGRYWH was never hit on ZooTV, but on Vertigo tour. He pushed his voice on WTSHNN more on Vertigo tour. The same with ISHFWMLF. The list is long... :)

djerdap said:
I really hate these IEM recordings where you can hear some weird shit in the background and zero crowd participation. It has no live feel whatsoever.

Yeah, they suck, I'm glad no one wants any of them. ;)

I will agree the IEM of this show is crap though. Typically I would take a good IEM over any audience recording. The IEM of this show is an exception for me. :shrug:

Thanks to DevilsShoes for recommending it --- I'm right now listening to the audience/earpiece matrix version, and I agree it's fantastic.

I don't know why anyone would complain about the audience levels. This recording matches exactly the balance I like in a bootleg. The band are loud and clear, lots of bass, and a slight reverb, though nice separation. You can clearly hear the audience, but they're not intrusive and are just kinda there in the background. It's not unlike the audience levels on 'Under a Blood Red Sky.' I'd rather listen to U2 than some screaming fans anyway.

Also, agree that Bono's voice is fantastic here. It's pretty obvious from the opening song (Blinding Lights) that he has had some Wheaties and has drunk some Red Bull prior to the gig.

In short -- it's brilliant!

ok I've been going on and on and on about this concert since I came here, I don't understand how some people don't have this bootleg!!!! it angers me deeply, i'm about to throw something :mad:

no, on a serious note, anyone out there who has not heard this, you NEED to listen to it...

btw, speaking of Japan shows, has anyone heard 11-30-2006 One Tree Hill? what a version!!!! Epic!

ok i'm off to bed :)

U2 Start is where I got this bootleg from (and also the 30th Nov show mentioned by Rob33).

Rob - yes, you're right, One Tree Hill from that show is gorgeous, and I'm listening to it right now as I type my 100th post! Yay, it only took me a few years to get to this milestone, and I can think of no better song to discuss on this occasion :) :)

I'd love to hear this gig, maybe someday it will surface in some format other than mp3 :(

haha just downloaded this bootleg FINALLY thanks to this thread.

"Hello Hello! We're at a place called Tokyo."

for some reason i thought that was really cool :wink: sounding really great though, what all earpiece recordings with no crowd should have done to them.

yes, but the way you've reacted to all things U2, Rob, makes me imagine we'd all have our homes raised to the ground before being put before a firing squad at dawn if we didn't comply!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom