The infamous Toronto 2005 bootlegs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djerdap

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Hardly a day when I listen to the Vertigo bootlegs goes by that I don't think of the Toronto shows that started the 3rd leg. It had some awesome setlists, especially the 4th, last one with the tour premiere of Discotheque (together with Pop Muzik), One with Daniel Lanois, Ol' Man River with Eddie Vedder, Electric Co., Fast Cars...

Was there anything new regarding the recordings? Will these bootlegs ever see the light of day?

they exist... someone is sitting on them in their one room palace thinking how high and mighty they are that they were able to sneak a tape recorder into an arena and put forth the oh so great efford of hitting the record button, therefor they should not share it with anyone else unless that person, too, went forth the oh so intimidating effort of sneaking a tape recorder past a 70 year old usher who probably doesn't even know what it is.

aww I was hoping this was the City of Blinding Lights shoot where they did the Hokey Pokey and played "Pop Idol"

If anybody seriously knows who has tapes of these gigs I've got some stuff to trade for them. I only have the first 2 shows from Toronto...

The first show you have is not complete, right? I know that recording exists.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
they exist... someone is sitting on them in their one room palace thinking how high and mighty they are that they were able to sneak a tape recorder into an arena and put forth the oh so great efford of hitting the record button, therefor they should not share it with anyone else unless that person, too, went forth the oh so intimidating effort of sneaking a tape recorder past a 70 year old usher who probably doesn't even know what it is.

I understand your frustration but thats putting it in pretty simplistic terms and it kind of degrades the efforts of alot of the tapers that have shared their recordings. To get a good recording its a bit more complex than that. Not to mention the gear required typically to get a good recording is not inexpensive. If it was a simple as you indicate everyone would be doing it. Not to mention that a taper typically sacrifices some of their enjoyment of the show in order to be able to tape. They cant be jumping around or yelling, etc.

If the taper wants to hold a recording for whatever reason, its their perogative. There are right and wrong reasons behind alot of it. I appreciate the efforts any taper makes. Alot of tapers simply tape for themselves. Its not a requirement to torrent or trade all recordings.

you're right in one aspect... it is their prerogative.

Bobby-Brown-My-Prerogative-239516.jpg

... but when they tell everyone they have it and then share it for themselves, it then becomes my prerogative to think that person is a douchebag.

taping does take a bit of effort, yes. and most people don't want to put forth that effort. but it's not friggin brain surgery like many make it out ot be.

frankly, i'm not frustrated at all... it would be nice to hear a better recording of vedder, that's all. one of the good things about u2's static unchanging setlists is that once i have a dvd recording of a particular tour i really have no need to have 20 other low quality recordings of the same setlist.

europop2005 said:
aww I was hoping this was the City of Blinding Lights shoot where they did the Hokey Pokey and played "Pop Idol"

Wrong Canadian city - that was Vancouver. :wink:

Is there now a "2 year rule" before asking for a tape of a show?

The fall ZOOTV Detroit has yet to surface in a complete tape, before that you may have to go to the 1985 tour to find a show without a circulating tape.(Please correct me if I'm wrong)

BTW, the I was at the Vancouver COBL shoot and all cameras/cell phones were taken "coat-check style" at the door. You were told that any flash would get you kicked out. I have about 5 audience photos that I have never shared.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
Is there now a "2 year rule" before asking for a tape of a show?

The fall ZOOTV Detroit has yet to surface in a complete tape, before that you may have to go to the 1985 tour to find a show without a circulating tape.(Please correct me if I'm wrong)

u2fp

No recording of the September 15, 1992 Chicago show has surfaced and the 1993 Brisbane has never surfaced.

THere are a couple others from Vertigo that havent surfaced. Ottawa, Cleveland, and no decent recordings of Charlotte or Omaha have surfaced.

Regarding Detroit 92. I know the person that was going to tape that one but they couldnt make it at the last seconnd. Unfortunately it doesnt appear anyone else was there recording. The MTV link up cut off or there would be a full pro shot of it. Its too bad, one of the best Zoo shows I saw.

I think there are more, but thats all I remember off hand.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
... but when they tell everyone they have it and then share it for themselves, it then becomes my prerogative to think that person is a douchebag.

Well, I can see your point and I dont necessarily disagree with that part. But it doesnt really happen that way very often. I can recall maybe two times that has happened here and the overreaction by some about it just fueled the fire more. Most of the time carrot dangling was from a particular overweight filmer who definately is/was as you describe.

Blue Room said:

No recording of the September 15, 1992 Chicago show has surfaced and the 1993 Brisbane has never surfaced.

THere are a couple others from Vertigo that havent surfaced. Ottawa, Cleveland, and no decent recordings of Charlotte or Omaha have surfaced.

Regarding Detroit 92. I know the person that was going to tape that one but they couldnt make it at the last seconnd. Unfortunately it doesnt appear anyone else was there recording. The MTV link up cut off or there would be a full pro shot of it. Its too bad, one of the best Zoo shows I saw.

-2005 COBL video shoot in Vancouver(COBL x 7 plus 3 songs from BOMB) including the hilarious Hokey Pokey and Bono's "IDOL" interview of the 3 band members
-2001 BRITS(mysterious ways has never surfaced in any form)
-Detroit 1992 took a really long time to surface(I'm surprised that this show was camcorded, but a few months later...nothing at all)
-The Greek Popmart took a really long time to reach collectors
-2 Vertigo Chicagos used for the DVD(?)

Blue Room said:

There's still a Popmart show missing too, isn't there? I know Thessaloniki finally surfaced, but I recall that when I was trading, it was just one of two that were unavailable.

If I remember correctly, all of Popmart Warsaw is out there but the sound quality is absolutely dire. It's like U2 are rocking out in one room, and in a different room downstairs and at the other end of the house is the bootlegger's tape recorder, hidden inside the wardrobe under a big pile of dirty washing.

Axver said:
If I remember correctly, all of Popmart Warsaw is out there but the sound quality is absolutely dire. It's like U2 are rocking out in one room, and in a different room downstairs and at the other end of the house is the bootlegger's tape recorder, hidden inside the wardrobe under a big pile of dirty washing.

We could all download it and listen to it at once to pretend we're having a Popmart setlist party.

U2FanPeter said:

--Detroit 1992 took a really long time to surface(I'm surprised that this show was camcorded, but a few months later...nothing at all)
-2 Vertigo Chicagos used for the DVD(?)

The partial Detroit Sept 92 pro shot recording didnt take a long time to surface. It was available in general trading within a year of the show. It took longer then to circulate obviously because there wasnt much of an internet then. But that was fairly quick by the standards at that time. I remember finding a commercial bootleg of it at a record show in 1993.

The 2 Chicago Vertigos May 9th and 10th are readily available.

Axver said:

Its the worst bootleg of the Popmart tour that is out there. Its awful. Followed closely by the St. Louis 97 recording that is out there and the St. Louis 92 recording that is out there.

Blue Room said:
The partial Detroit Sept 92 pro shot recording didnt take a long time to surface. It was available in general trading within a year of the show. It took longer then to circulate obviously because there wasnt much of an internet then. But that was fairly quick by the standards at that time. I remember finding a commercial bootleg of it at a record show in 1993.

I didn't specify that I meant the Spring "10,000 Pizzas" ZooTV Detroit show that surfaced on video years afterward.

U2FanPeter said:

I didn't specify that I meant the Spring "10,000 Pizzas" ZooTV Detroit show that surfaced on video years afterward.

Thats even less correct then. I had a tape copy of that show within months of it happening.

Back
Top Bottom