The "I hate Wild Honey" thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raid

Acrobat
Post here if you hate "Wild Honey". I think its one of U2's worst songs ever.

Not a great song or even a good one, definitely should've been a b-side (or maybe not released at all), but it's not the total abomination some make it out to be.

I normally skip it, though.

Timothius, what's worse, Wild Honey or Not The Girl You Think You Are?

When I had both on my playlist and Wild Honey came on, I'd think "there's only two songs on my playlist worse than this, In A Little While and Not The Girl You Think You Are". Then I took the latter out of my playlist because I simply cannot stand it.

Axver said:
Timothius, what's worse, Wild Honey or Not The Girl You Think You Are?

Wild Honey.

When I first bought RD (1996) that and Instinct were the only songs I didn't get. However after I heard a Neil solo version from the TWT tour I just melted to it. It's a much better song that way - lyrically its fine - it just moved too far away from the Crowdie sound I think.

Wild Honey vs Thats What I Call Love:wink:

I love Wild Honey.

I'm curious to know if the people who don't like Wild Honey also don't like Van Morrison as Wild Honey sounds like a song heavily inspired by Van The Man.

timothius said:

Wild Honey.

When I first bought RD (1996) that and Instinct were the only songs I didn't get. However after I heard a Neil solo version from the TWT tour I just melted to it. It's a much better song that way - lyrically its fine - it just moved too far away from the Crowdie sound I think.

Wild Honey vs Thats What I Call Love:wink:

I just can't stand Not The Girl You Think You Are. I've tried to like it, but I can't even listen to it all the way through. Ah, I love how you can just delete songs off playlists - wish you could do that with CDs too!

I wonder - do the Wild Honey haters also hate Party Girl? As I said before, I definitely think Wild Honey should've been a b-side if it had to be released at all, but sometimes it's just a fun song that would be good to lighten up a concert and belongs in an acoustic setting. And that makes me think very much of Party Girl.

Axver said:

I wonder - do the Wild Honey haters also hate Party Girl? As I said before, I definitely think Wild Honey should've been a b-side if it had to be released at all, but sometimes it's just a fun song that would be good to lighten up a concert and belongs in an acoustic setting. And that makes me think very much of Party Girl.

I like party girl...The thing I can't stand about Wild Honey is the lyrics..

"In the days when we were swinging from the trees, I was a monkey..stealing honey from a swarm of bees"

It sounds like something someone would write in Elementary School...IT SOUNDS RETARDED!!:madspit:

Axver said:

I wonder - do the Wild Honey haters also hate Party Girl?

Heck no! If you mean the one on Under a Blood Red Sky, that is. I'm not so fond of the single version. But I love the UABRS live version.

4 years back, I described Wild Honey as 'pop fluff' in a review. I may not be as harsh today cos the song has kinda grown on me (esp. the guitar). But it's still one of their worst efforts. Certainly not THE worst though.

Axver said:

I just can't stand Not The Girl You Think You Are. I've tried to like it, but I can't even listen to it all the way through. Ah, I love how you can just delete songs off playlists - wish you could do that with CDs too!

It won't happen overnight but it will happen. Not the Girl is a dandy song.

I think the other probelm with Wild Honey is it marks a real seperation point in the ATYCLB album, the generally popular stuff - Elev, BD, Stuck, Walk On, Kite and the rest... It's a major drop off IMO from Kite and Walk On especially.

Party Girl is fun and quirky, Wild Honey is just awkward.

Yeah, Wild Honey's definitely awkward in the beginning. I find whenever it starts, I instantly skip, but if I'm doing something else and I don't notice that it's playing until about halfway through, I can start enjoying it as just a silly fun song, like an inferior cousin of Party Girl.

beli said:
I love Wild Honey.

I'm curious to know if the people who don't like Wild Honey also don't like Van Morrison as Wild Honey sounds like a song heavily inspired by Van The Man.

I don't know many songs by Van Morrison except Gloria and Brown-Eyed Girl. But I like both of those songs.

I've heard VM's Gloria! ... thanks to Bono singing it during songs like Surrender, Exit, and Desire. :reject:

I love Wild Honey. A great light hearted song...most of my friends who aren't hardcore fans also love it so I think it's mainly just one of those songs that are strangely hated on this forum(which I've learned is in not way representative of real world opinions).

I don't hate the song but you gotta admit that it is a silly love song that was totally uncharacteristic of anything they had done upto that point even on ATYCLB itself.

Raid said:

I like party girl...The thing I can't stand about Wild Honey is the lyrics..

"In the days when we were swinging from the trees, I was a monkey..stealing honey from a swarm of bees"

It sounds like something someone would write in Elementary School...IT SOUNDS RETARDED!!:madspit:

No offense, but if you can honestly say the lyrics to Wild Honey are worse than Party Girl... oh boy. If Wild Honey is Elementary School then Party girl would have to be somewhere between the first words and preschool.

"I know a boy, a boy called trash, trash can." Just brilliant lyrics :lmao:

I've always loved the line: "I'm still standing, I'm still standing where you left me...are you still growing wild, when everything is changed around you."

I'm on board, i loath this song!! Smile should have been on ATYCLB in its place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom