The Hands That Built America - Worst Song Ever!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Miss Sarajevo

now that is a great song....

I would much prefer to hear it with or without Mr. P

Westport said:
Miss Sarajevo

now that is a great song....

Yes, thank you! Miss Sarajevo has strings and operatic elements. And it is absolutely gorgeous, not boring.

Wake up guys! The hands that built America is a fantastic song, superb!!! My parents came from Cork City( In Ireland for those who don't know) in the 1970's. Now, they werent the hands that built Canada, but the participated in the Irish Emmigrant experience. The song is about poverty stricken Irishmen and women, and children, leaving an oppressed (by the British, ofcourse) and famished (millions starved to death) Ireland for the Hope and Light of America. There they work long, hard, tough jobs, doin the dirty work to build America, to build its towers and dig its tunnels. The Irsih helped build America in a Big way and this song makes my spine tingle, especially the live version they played at the Oscars introduced by Colin Farrel, stunning. These lines rock"

Oh my love
It's a long way we've come
From the freckled hills- (cows in the hilly grass)
To the steel and glass canyons

From the stony fields
To hanging steel from skies
From digging in our pockets- (irish poverty, empty pockets)
For a reason not to say goodbye

The song is as well a lament to the Irish in NY and spetember 11th. Kick ass.

I have to agree with the Brazilian fly, i hated it at first, then i like it but i don't hate it.

Worst songs by u2:
Love rescue me, When love comes to town, Peace on earth, Elvis and America, Grace...(ther aren't many more but i don't want to think)

yimou said:

How can you be so sure that they didn´t rehearse any of those songs ?. I know that you have your info from the setlist area, but only a fool believes that a fan is present at every U2 rehearsal.

Can't be sure, just going off what we know. I believe I stated in one post that I was talking about 'rehearsals we know of'.

tinker said:
Wake up guys! The hands that built America is a fantastic song, superb!!! My parents came from Cork City( In Ireland for those who don't know) in the 1970's. Now, they werent the hands that built Canada, but the participated in the Irish Emmigrant experience. The song is about poverty stricken Irishmen and women, and children, leaving an oppressed (by the British, ofcourse) and famished (millions starved to death) Ireland for the Hope and Light of America. There they work long, hard, tough jobs, doin the dirty work to build America, to build its towers and dig its tunnels. The Irsih helped build America in a Big way and this song makes my spine tingle, especially the live version they played at the Oscars introduced by Colin Farrel, stunning. These lines rock"

Oh my love

From the stony fields

I totally see what you're saying. And it actually sounded good at the end of Gangs Of New York. As I said before I like the lyrics and the sentiment. It's just a bit cheesy.

Whats wrong with it? Certainly not the worst song written by U2 and certainly not the worst song ever.

Axver said:

Can't be sure, just going off what we know. I believe I stated in one post that I was talking about 'rehearsals we know of'.

Just trying to seperate the solid facts from the normal :blahblah: bullshit.. I guess it was :blahblah: then...

Zootlesque said:

I totally see what you're saying. And it actually sounded good at the end of Gangs Of New York. As I said before I like the lyrics and the sentiment. It's just a bit cheesy.

What's wrong is that you compared U2 to C.D. .
Honestly, you don't have to like it but please, give me some warning.
That's just too far out there. :wink:

Last edited:
sue4u2 said:

What's wrong is that you compared it to a C.D. song.
Honestly, you don't have to like it but please, don't do that again.
That's just too far out there. :huh:

Why shouldn't I do it again? It's just my opinion. I thought we were supposed to freely express our opinions on this site. :scratch:

There's anything wrong with comparing U2 to Celine, they're both in the pop music scene, that's ok. And both songs are soundtrack songs and they're both down-tempo songs, but they've got different .
Celine's "My heart will go on" is supposed to gives us the feeling of hope and faith in love and U2's "The hands that built America" is more direct to the emmigration factor and the time America was "built".

But it's curious to see that "Gangs of New York" and "Titanic" make both reference to the birth of America, direct or indirectly hein?

i think its an ok song, but still pretty boring. i really hope they don't bother with it live- why waste a spot.

now put it next to stateless- possibly the most boring u2 song and suddenly it looks pretty good.

Comparing U2 to Celine Dion is stupidity, plain and simple.

Hands That Built America is better than maybe 10 songs off POP for me. Even U2 were shameless enough to add 3 POP songs to their Best Of (but at least they were respectful enough to their fans when they "fixed" the songs via new mixes), so if POP is good enough - Hands That Built America should also be good enough.

Cheers,

J

:p You certainly know how to pick a fight Mr J! Out of curiosity, which 2 songs off Pop do you regard as being of an equal standard, or better than THTBA? I didn't realise you could be so positve, to suggest there were as many as 2?!?!?

I haven’t read all the replies. Hands is up there in my top 20 favorite U2 songs, a really beautiful song. I listen to it a lot and hope it’s played on tour.:drool:

jick said:
Hands That Built America is better than maybe 10 songs off POP for me. Even U2 were shameless enough to add 3 POP songs to their Best Of (but at least they were respectful enough to their fans when they "fixed" the songs via new mixes), so if POP is good enough - Hands That Built America should also be good enough.

Cheers,

J

Can't you go away again? Buy yourself a one way ticket ticket for Iraq or Pakistan, go have some fun.

Last edited:
tinker said:

Oh my love

From the stony fields

Thanks for that, Captain Obvious everybody...

Back
Top Bottom