The Hands That Built America - RATE IT!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate it.

Votes: 6 6.5%

Votes: 17 18.3%

Votes: 23 24.7%

Votes: 23 24.7%

Votes: 8 8.6%

Votes: 3 3.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
Re: Re: I gave it a 5

Michael Griffiths said:

Well, Sicy, most of the people here do think it's GREAT. Just check the poll. Most people are giving it an 8 out of 10. ;)

what kind of drugs are you people on? This doesn't even sound like the same band that rocked our world with pride, streets, sbs, the fly, etc.

I understand u2 has to go and try to change up their style, push everything through the roof etc, etc

But give me a freaking break, this is horrible classic elevator bs. This reminds me of that crap Celion Deion did for Titanic.

I don't go to concert to see Mrs Deion, or buy her horrible music. If you like this song then its your opinion which is great, but I thought U2 was a rock band and not a classic Lawrence Welk show.

Wasn't it Adam who thanked Phil Collins and Genisis for "giving his parents something to listen to?" Looks like the shoe is on the other foot now if this is any indication.

:)

Gave it a 7. I'm actually listening to it right now. I'm thinking :hmm:, this is one song that's gonna grow on me....and I have yet to read the lyrics.

Re: Re: Re: I gave it a 5

little boy blue said:

what kind of drugs are you people on? This doesn't even sound like the same band that rocked our world with pride, streets, sbs, the fly, etc.

I agree with LBB and Sicy. When I think of all the great songs that U2 has created, this just doesn't rank up there as an 8. Perhaps it is that I am comparing it only with other U2 songs. It's certainly not a 3 compared to the new Christina Aguilera song, the new song by Tweet, or what have you. Most U2 songs are 8s through 10s compared to other artists. But as for U2, they've got so many other songs that are better than "Hands" that I can't give it a higher score when I think of all the classics they've put out there.

Re: Re: Re: I gave it a 5

little boy blue said:

:hmm: Well, you could argue that when The Fly came out, it didn't sound like the same band that made Streets either!

To think that U2 are going to make another Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby isn't realistic. They're in their early 40s now. They're not the same people they were then, so of course their music is going to change.

Personally, I'm loving the fact that I never know what to expect where they're concerned.

I guess it really is a matter of taste.I wasn't that thrilled with electric storm...rate it about a 7..but I loved "hands" from the first listen....I gave it a 9.

popsadie said:
I guess it really is a matter of taste.I wasn't that thrilled with electric storm...rate it about a 7..but I loved "hands" from the first listen....I gave it a 9.

I like ES...But I definitely think Hands is the better of the two.

Re: Re: Re: Re: I gave it a 5

wertsie said:

:hmm: Well, you could argue that when The Fly came out, it didn't sound like the same band that made Streets either!

exactly, but the fly blew our heads off when it first came out, it is the kind of music that got peoples attention and made them say "whoa, wtf is that"

in a good way

To think that U2 are going to make another Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby isn't realistic. They're in their early 40s now. They're not the same people they were then, so of course their music is going to change.

of course they are not going to copy themselves and make another JT or AB clone, but I strongly disagree with what you have said:

IF your point is that they aren't going to make another album like that because they are to old then why should they bother making albums at all? If this is the attitude, then making anymore albums would be just "coasting" or "cashing in".

If they cannot make another grand album because they are 40, then what the hell was ATYCLB? I mean I liked it to the point I would put it almost on the AB and JT level.

And as for their age, look at the Stones still rocking, look at Springsteen. Look at the music Lennon made just before he was shot. Age shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Personally, I'm loving the fact that I never know what to expect where they're concerned.

I do too, but i just expect a hell of a lot more from them than "hands", thats all.

I believe they are capable of blowing our heads off again, and not just making another "passengers" song for us to fall asleep too.

Cheers :)

This song reminds me of David Bowie's song "This is not America" from the movie the Falcon and the Snowman with Timothy Hutton and Sean Penn. If you listen to it, they are very similar.

Re: Re: Re: Re: I gave it a 5

wertsie said:

Exactly...truth is, about this tune, it really doesn't even sound like U2! Once again, they seem to different musical avenues to venture down again. It really is more of a grower, though...I think the sound of what seems to be bottles hitting each other (I'm really not sure what it is) which is prominent on the track gives it a very tangible atmosphere to it...again, really digging this song.

Back
Top Bottom