The Green Day folks were a bit pissed off last night...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so green day fans said the acadmany is dated? green day is not a new band. thier first big album was in 94 and they were around before that for a bit. so if green day won eveything, then the acadmany is still dated. only back to mid 90's not late 80's. both "out of date".

dlihcraw said:

The point I was trying to make is Green Day have changed their sound over the past ten years, but they have not been revolutionary with their sound. Evolutionary, but not revolutionary. I tried only to put the comments of Green Day fans into context. To suggest U2 are a stagnant band, one must be willing to admit Green Day are redundant band!

According to the author of this post, Green Day fans brought up the issue of bands needing to change their sound.

By comparison, while both bands have made a sincere attempt to expand their musical depth, U2 have far outpaced Green Day in realizing this pursuit.

My fellow Canadians, follow this link! Finally, our tax dollars have been put to work!

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2005/02/16/932652.html

Can you tell me what of the post-Joshua Tree era was revolutionary? U2 was revolutionary within the band IMO but in term of music... I can't seem to agree.

A guy said in this thread something like this: Green Day has much intelligent album and then compares American Idiot with Vertigo which is uncompareable, like comparing a Basket case from GD and Elevation.
That's not the same.
Compare American Idiot with City of blinding lights or Bullet the blue sky if you want a political comparison.

Flying FuManchu said:

Can you tell me what of the post-Joshua Tree era was revolutionary? U2 was revolutionary within the band IMO but in term of music... I can't seem to agree.

I don't think in the grand scheme of music U2 has ever been particularly revolutionary. They do what they do well, but as far as breaking new ground musically...eh, not much. Neither has Green Day, of course (GD also does what they do well).

Yahweh said:
Let them be pissed off they might be pissed off again next year too and it wouldnt bother me any...but then again U2 fans might be pissed off next year too we shall see.

Hell, I'm STILL pissed off that Clapton's Unplugged beat AB for album of the year in '93 and that Oh Brother whatever the freakin' hell it was beat ATYCLB for the same honor in '02. Screw Green Day and their whines, U2 are the ones who've been bulldozed by the Grannies,,,,uh Grammies. Anybody up for a Clapton sucks thread?

Layton said:

Anybody up for a Clapton sucks thread?

I find Clapton very overrated and boring. I can listen to some of his songs like Cocaine and the original Layla (although it is way overplayed on the radio) but not all.

Clapton's rep wasn't built on his post Derek and the Dominos period.

LOL... another thing I find funny is that U2 fans who think U2 always deserves the best album Grammy or other Grammys when contending for those awards always end up bashing the Grammys themselves. Why is it so important for U2 to win an award that, you, the Grammy complainer doesn't care about?

Flying FuManchu said:
Why is it so important for U2 to win an award that, you, the Grammy complainer doesn't care about?

Lol. Great point! I wasn't that excited at all about U2 winning 3 grammys for Vertigo. In fact, although I'm loving HTDAAB more and more by the day, I thought Green Day deserved more grammys for their masterpiece.

Flying FuManchu said:
Clapton's rep wasn't built on his post Derek and the Dominos period.

LOL... another thing I find funny is that U2 fans who think U2 always deserves the best album Grammy or other Grammys when contending for those awards always end up bashing the Grammys themselves. Why is it so important for U2 to win an award that, you, the Grammy complainer doesn't care about?

What's even funnier is that everybody who loses ends up whining about the grandpappies. Apparently these awards mean alot to alot of different people whether they're punk, rock, soul, hip hop or classical fans. Bottome line, ALL fans of artists are whiners. They ALL want their favorite validated in some artificial way and by damn it I'll admit it. U2 does deserve to win every bloody award they're up for. GO U2!!! Here's to next year's Atomic sweep of of the grampies.

I don't know where to post this, but if anybody wants any of the cd's of any of the people that were nom at the Brit Awards or the Grammy's, all of them are on sale for $9.99 at Best Buy through Sun. And I got "Snow Patrol" among others and it's wonderful, and they're wonderful.

My sentiments exactly! *G* I like a lot of other bands (Franz Ferdinand, etc. etc.) but U2 will always, always, always be #1 for me. As for Green Day and U2, to me, it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Agree! And I also think U2 deserved every Grammy they got, "Vertigo" is like nothing else on the radio, it only gets better the more you hear it, and that is so rare.

Last edited:
Layton said:

Bottome line, ALL fans of artists are whiners. They ALL want their favorite validated in some artificial way and by damn it I'll admit it.

You might want your band "validated in some artificial way," but if I like a band, it doesn't matter to me who else likes them. I have great faith in my taste, but not such faith in everyone else's taste.

Chrisedge said:
Sample Lyrics:
Green Day
"And there's nothing wrong with me
This is how I'm supposed to be
In a land of make believe
That don't believe in me"
U2
"I can’t stand the beats
I’m asking for the cheque
The girl with crimson nails
Has Jesus round her neck
Swinging to the music
Swinging to the music
Oh oh oh oh"

I actually like U2's lyrics better. Lyrics don't exactly have to be super-serious to be good; they just have to be well-written. I think that whenever a pop band decides to go "deep and meaningful" they often go a little overboard and become melodramatic. That being said, I did like American Idiot and I thought it was a fine record. But just not better than HTDAAB. But then again, I'm not a huge rock opera person. Those two word just don't seem like they belong together.

Last edited:
indra said:

You might want your band "validated in some artificial way," but if I like a band, it doesn't matter to me who else likes them. I have great faith in my taste, but not such faith in everyone else's taste.

Everybody has great faith in their taste. Unfortunately, that aspect is completely canceled out in the big picture. Hence, all we have left are democratic or attempts at democratic artificialalities to differentiate between the winning and losing tastes. Competition is the heart of democracy and our economic way of life. I for one have no problem with that. I suspect that U2 doesn't either. They seem highly competitive to me and since you had the need to rank your tastes relative to everyone else's tastes you're not as innocent at all of this as you think you are. Democracy Rules!! U2 keeps kicking ass and I like it.

I just watched the Green Day egos and icons on Much Music here in Canada and they most certainly do have an anti american or at least anti government stance, and most of it as most musicians go is at a very superficial level.

If anybody thinks "American Idiot" has such great lyrics I want to know why? They seriously could have been written by a 14 year old...and secondly a song isnt always about the lyrics infact it generally isnt about the lyrics its about the melody being good and the music being good, to be quite frank I dont think most people care about lyrics unless it is written to be an epic song which "American Idiot" nor "Vertigo" were written for.

The music in Vertigo is far better and sounds much different then anything else on the radio for that reason alone it should win. American Idiot is just one of many political songs that have bashed government over the years and in my opinion a badly written one.

Layton said:

Everybody has great faith in their taste. Unfortunately, that aspect is completely canceled out in the big picture. Hence, all we have left are democratic or attempts at democratic artificialalities to differentiate between the winning and losing tastes. Competition is the heart of democracy and our economic way of life. I for one have no problem with that. I suspect that U2 doesn't either. They seem highly competitive to me and since you had the need to rank your tastes relative to everyone else's tastes you're not as innocent at all of this as you think you are. Democracy Rules!! U2 keeps kicking ass and I like it.

You might like putting your favorite band/bands up to "compete" against others, I don't need to. I like what I like, and no one else's view changes that. And, of course my taste is better than anyone else's -- I'm better than anyone else. Geez, it's just so obvious! Competition is so beneath me. :rolleyes: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom