The Green Day folks were a bit pissed off last night...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
indra said:

Maybe he just has pretty eyes. :wink:

Don't knock the eyeliner anymore folks, or we'll have to bring up the mullet! :madspit:

Go ahead and bring up the mullet. That was Bono's best hairdo.

*waits for flames*

Axver said:

*waits for flames*

Don't think it was his best one (want to know my favorite Bono look? Check out my avatar and sig), but I certainly think he was the only guy who could ever pull off having one :yes:. It looked a hell of a lot better on him than it did on any other guys I've seen wearing it.

Angela

I can't even pretend to be a Green Day fan, even though I always thought they were (and are) a genuine rock band.

I recall a Chicago show they played on the Dookie tour that MTV would broadcast that was positively searing. They were fantastic.

But as a previous poster said, you can't suddenly award these guys because they decided to get down and meaningful. Yeah, they're excellent, but U2 was always swinging for the fences, almost from the beginning.

U2 deserves these Grammys. The first night I heard Vertigo my friends and I must have played it 50 times! It was a great lead off single!

The video was top notch, too.

Sorry Green Day, you got beat. U2 are pros when it comes to this stuff. Deservedly so.

Axver said:
The difference between MacPhisto and the Green Day twit is that while MacPhisto was an intelligent satire, the Green Day guy's not trying to make any intelligent point at all.

Yes, Bono's make-up makes so many intelligent points... :sigh:

bonoab3.jpg

*sees no irony in this picture :| *

U2 is one of the most widely hated bands in the world by a lot of people so I am not at all surprised by the comments made by the Green Day message boards.

Thing is that U2 have the largest hardcore fanbase out of any band that is still currently making music and they gain new fans each and every album and thats what makes U2 magic.

I dont think American Idiot is even close to the song Bullet The Blue Sky was for lyrics and meaning...funny thing was that the lyrics in Bullet The Blue Sky went over most Americans head at the time, maybe they still do I dont know.

Axver said:
The difference between MacPhisto and the Green Day twit is that while MacPhisto was an intelligent satire, the Green Day guy's not trying to make any intelligent point at all.

Sounds like you haven't listened to GD's latest album (at least the whole thing)

American Idiot has MUCH better (read intelligent) lyrics than HTDAAB.

Do you realize that AI is a concept/rock opera? The WHOLE album is a story....

Green Day vs. U2

Eyeliner vs. Cowboy hats
Skinny ties vs. the permenently attached beenie on The Edge
Fourth Musician on Stage vs hiding them under the stage

Sample Lyrics:
Green Day
"And there's nothing wrong with me
This is how I'm supposed to be
In a land of make believe
That don't believe in me"
U2
"I can’t stand the beats
I’m asking for the cheque
The girl with crimson nails
Has Jesus round her neck
Swinging to the music
Swinging to the music
Oh oh oh oh"

Power Chords vs. Delays
Under produced vs over produced
Concept vs. marketed

Please don't just dismiss Green Day, the same way people dismiss U2 for the iPod commerical. AI is a GREAT album, that (IMHO) is the best album released in 2004. HTDAAB is great too, but I gotta give it to Green Day for releasing a better album. As a HUGE U2 fan, I can see it.

Same sound? What a dumb argument. If they had the same sound, they probably wouldn't have lasted more than 10 years. It's because of all the different sounds that makes them U2, and everyone else also-rans.

Every band has the same sound... WTF? Each band produces their own music and has a sound. I hate it when people say that shit. The only bands that don't sound like themselves from album to album are the bands that only put out one album.

gherman said:
Every band has the same sound... WTF? Each band produces their own music and has a sound. I hate it when people say that shit. The only bands that don't sound like themselves from album to album are the bands that only put out one album.

:lol:

Axver said:

*waits for flames*

Sadly, I agree with you. :(

J/K! :wink: You gotta admit though mullets are awful. Of course, I've seen musicians (some I even like) with mullets and eyeliner. :ohmy:

Pero said:
They have released new album before HTDAAB and still have only two singles/videos, and HTDAAB has 3!!

Big deal. They released one song for N.A. and the other for the rest of the world.

ABOY dropped off pretty quickly too. I see/hear BOBD MUCH more than either of U2's "2nd" singles.

AI is a bit too obsessed with a particular American generational perspective. HTDAAB covers the gamut from birth to death all from the cradle of some African desert and then shines that desert regenerative light on America and other locales throughout the world. For my money, U2 packs alot more 'art' into their latest album than Green Day does with theirs even considering the 'whole story' or 'concept' Green Day goes with.
But that's just me-----I'm Gone (and up with the sun etc. etc.)

Eyeliner vs. uneccessary shades. One wants to accentuate his eyes, the other wants to hide the wrinkes he has under his eyes (my personal theory on the constant shades). They're making themselves look the way they want, and making a fashion statement at the same time. Dont we all want to do that?

indra said:

You are kidding aren't you?

I mean, honestly honey, take a look at some of the stuff U2 wears and tell me how seriously they should be taken. Some of their attire is positively cringeworthy.
Bono would have to wear a pink tutu before he would reach that level. Anyway I think it's more symbolic about what I don't like about them, rather then why I don't like them.

Green day should just be glad they some how got invited to the
Grammy's. They're the real american idiots!

dlihcraw said:

No one can argue around this point. The truth, in ten years, has Green Day changed much of their sound? Yes, no, maybe.

Green Day under their genre of neo-pop punk have altered their sound over the years. The use of strings, other instruments, etc... It's not like "punk" hasn't gone outside of guitar rock (alah the Clash) but some bands (I'm sure) stay the same sonically. Green Day has "evolved."

Also, people on this board act like its such a must to change one's sound sonically. BS IMO. It's an exemplary thing to do but I don't look at it as being important. It's all about the songs overall. I'm not gonna piss on a Dylan or Johnny Cash just b/c they didn't/ don't put out albums with hip hop elements or electronic beats...

glenn said:

Bono would have to wear a pink tutu before he would reach that level. Anyway I think it's more symbolic about what I don't like about them, rather then why I don't like them.

Don't knock the pink tutu's buster! :mad: For what I heard actually, Bono was considering the pink tutu route, but he couldn't find one that didn't make his ass look HUGE, so that idea got scrapped.... :wink:

But honestly, don't knock someone else for their looks unless you are willing to have people you like be mocked for their looks. And you gotta admit U2 has plenty of fashion faux pas to be mocked. :rolleyes: (and eyeliner looks very mild in comparison to some of them)

Last edited:
Flying FuManchu said:
Also what is the deal with fans having a pissing contest about ART? I mean, do U2 fans always feel threatened by other bands or something?

That actually surprised me when I first came here. I'm on a board for The Church and although we do discuss other bands, nearly all threads about specific bands are started because someone likes them. Doesn't mean all the posts are positive -- some people don't like various bands or certain releases by other bands -- but there aren't any "I hate ____" or "____ suck!" threads. it just seems like a weird thing to spend time on.

Perhaps part of that is The Church isn't up for awards or chart positions...hell, it's such a niche band there really isn't any competition. They just kinda do what they want and if you like it, good, and if not, that's ok too (even if your taste is seriously lacking ;) ).

Flying FuManchu said:

Green Day under their genre of neo-pop punk have altered their sound over the years. The use of strings, other instruments, etc... It's not like "punk" hasn't gone outside of guitar rock (alah the Clash) but some bands (I'm sure) stay the same sonically. Green Day has "evolved."

Also, people on this board act like its such a must to change one's sound sonically. BS IMO. It's an exemplary thing to do but I don't look at it as being important. It's all about the songs overall. I'm not gonna piss on a Dylan or Johnny Cash just b/c they didn't/ don't put out albums with hip hop elements or electronic beats...

The point I was trying to make is Green Day have changed their sound over the past ten years, but they have not been revolutionary with their sound. Evolutionary, but not revolutionary. I tried only to put the comments of Green Day fans into context. To suggest U2 are a stagnant band, one must be willing to admit Green Day are redundant band!

According to the author of this post, Green Day fans brought up the issue of bands needing to change their sound.

By comparison, while both bands have made a sincere attempt to expand their musical depth, U2 have far outpaced Green Day in realizing this pursuit.

My fellow Canadians, follow this link! Finally, our tax dollars have been put to work!

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2005/02/16/932652.html

Last edited:
Umm, I made this post by mistake and I cannot erase it. Therefore, let me just make the point "costumes" in music are common. Like the Cure, Alice Cooper, and Boy George, Green Day wears makeup. Like the Beatles, Hives, and U2, they wear funny suits.

What’s the problem?

Last edited:
Let them be pissed off they might be pissed off again next year too and it wouldnt bother me any...but then again U2 fans might be pissed off next year too we shall see.

Back
Top Bottom