The greatness that is The Ground Beneath Her Feet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djerdap

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I was just watching the Best of 1990-2000 DVD, and in the end there was The Ground Beneath Her Feet. It really downed me. This is one of the best songs U2 has made in the last 10 years. That ending, when Edge and Larry really kick in, is fantastic. It also sounds like nothing else U2 have done in the past. If this song was on ATYCLB(not as a bonus track and not on the Million OST), it would've made that album much better, because it is better than any other song from that album.

Last edited:
With the Million OST he means the soundtrack album to the movie The Million Dollar Hotel (with a screenplay written by Bono). That soundtrack had 2 exclusive U2 songs: The Ground Beneath Her Feet and Stateless.
The lyrics of The Ground Beneath Her Feet were written by Salman Rushdie and it's a great ballad of a love lost.

C ya!

Marty

TGBHF is possibly my favourite U2 song. The Edge's guitar at the end is so beautiful that words can't even begin to describe it... and if they played it on the tour I would be raptured beyond explanation...take note, Edge :wink:

They played TGBHF last time at the beginning of the tour. Bono moved to piano for it I think. It didn't really improve on the studio version, though IMO.

They played it the first dates, along with the sweetest thing. It was an acousti version tough, like the one they once did at the Sanremo festival in 2000. It's one of my favorites too, it wasn't on ATYCLB because it didn't really fit in there.

Oh yeah, Stateless is just as great. It's one of my favorite U2 songs. I'd love to hear it live someday. That and Your Blue Room. If those were played live, I'd soil myself.

I remember the first time I heard TGBHF, I kept rewinding the last two minutes over and over, hearing that song in a good sound system is incredible. When Bono sings "where there is only love..." and then the band kicks in, incredible!!! I think they should have put it on ATYCLB, even if it didnt fit well.

tgbhf and stateless are great. u2 are probably the only band able to create atmospheric moods in pop songs without making them boring, in fact making them having a kind of coming from a superior level.

i hope that the new album has some of it too.

i'm not your baby comes from the same branch and is great as well

I read a Rushdie article where he talked about he and Bono and this track. I believe it was Time magazine. It was interesting.

In the article he also mentions something about he, Bono, and Van Morrisson drinking together in Bono's living room and listening to music. Ha! What a visual that is. A real eclectic group I would say.

Anyway... like everyone said, it's a great track. The build up to the ending is fabulous. That guitar is almost hypnotic. Is it me, or does it sound almost influenced by sounds in music from Middle-East.. India... or something like that?

The first time I heard this song, I nearly shat myself. It's just ... soooooo good. "Where there is only love" is, I think, the most tense, fraught moment I have ever heard in a u2 song. Scrap that - in any song, fullstop.
During that, you KNOW they're gonna kick off. You're gonna hunt them down and kick them in the nuts if they don't. But when they do ... you're still not ready for it. Not on the first hearing, at least.

Ace ... "This is one of the best songs U2 has made in the last 10 years" was a greatly ture statement.

With|Or|Without|Yo

BonoFox1 said:
I wish this song would have gotten more radio play, I'ts an amazing song that stays with me all day once I hear it.

me too, Million Dollar was released too close to ATYCLB, which is why I think they didnt push this single as much either.

It´s probably my favorite song, the only one that since I first heard it, I can´t hear it only once. If I hear the song, I will at least repeat two more times. It is awesome.

Back
Top Bottom