The goodness of Electrical Storm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr_Macphisto

War Child
Here is a killer song that was overshadowed in a sense. It never really got the publicity or respect it deserved. Anyone ever hear the Radio 1 version? Damn... good stuff.

What is everyone else's opinions of this song?

Does anyone think it will be played on the next tour?

i think its gerat and would love to hear it on the next tour, no question.

also interested in people thoughts on the different version - the original versus the william orbit mix which is more common i find? personally my abosolute favourite was the leaked one that got played on radio 1, far more guitary (is that a word) and thenthe original next. i find the william orbit mix with the "dings" instead of the guitar loses a bit of the rawness of the track.

but i think its pretty damn cool anyway!

Vertigo kicks ass, Electrical Storm does in equal measure in my eyes. Best compliment i can give it. If anybody has mp3 of leaked radio one version please send my way??? bains96@aol.com

I think Electrical Storm was good but had the potential to be a classic...the solo at the end is a bit weak, and the "heavy as a truck" line shouldn't be in there..;) however, the chorus is great and the tune is very uplifting.

Electrical Storm IMO was shortchanged by putting it on the best of, it should have been the first single of HTDAAB, everyone (general public, casual fans) assumed (including me) that the Best of 1990-2000 was U2's last album so everyone kinda overlooked Electrical Storm (I actually thought it was a farewell song)... that was of course, before I started going to sites like interference :)

and also, I thought Electrical Storm was U2's best song since One or Until the End of the World (not to discredit anything off of Pop, because Pop as an album is very solid start to finish).. it will definately be up there in the classics if they can pull it off live in their next tour

i love electrical storm, and i imagine it would be fabulous live. this song is special to me because it came out as i was recovering from a bad break-up, and the song perfectly described the relationship and me getting back on my feet. they have an uncanny knack for striking just the chord when you least expect it (and most need it, might i add).

I Wish Electrical Storm would be a new u2 album first single release and
not a 'best of album " new song, but all this belongs to the past
Make me a record company manager you ll make lots of money:)

Electrical Storm is an amazing song, and it will definitely be played live. U2 have always played their singles - The Sweetest Thing is the least-played single, I think.

I'm kind of surprised - I thought a lot of people on this site didn't particularly like that song. I, for one, absolutely LOVE it...It's one of my faves.

I would love to see it live too!

Very special song to me :|

kitsig.jpg

Electrical Storm is a great song. For sure, it will be performed on the next tour, and certainly not just Bono & Edge on acoustic guitar (for a while I thought it'd be a great show opener (Bono walking on stage as the rest of the band is playing their instrument, a la JT), but I now think Vertigo has to be the opener). Which version do I prefer? ... Tough choice. The Radio 1 version / demo is probably the freshest and least over-produced, obviously, but I do not dislike the Orbit Mix. I do agree with Sleep Over Jack that the line "The air is heavy Heavy as a truck" is a bit weak. Talking about weak line, isn't "Give me all I want And nobody gets hurt" from Vertigo a bit cheesy? Don't get me wrong, I *do* love the song.

-Cyril

I wouldn't be surpised if Electrical Storm was played on the b-stage.

I liked it b/c it was a U2 song in an oasis of no u2 songs besides the old school stuff. With that said, over time, I've come to think of that song as average, sort of boring. The lyrics aren't really that great and the solo was boring. Sorry... just how I feel.

I think if they had combined the interesting aspects of both mixes, the song might have been more interesting but I like the Orbit mix better, overall. I used to like the plain mix, but the song got boring real quick and Edge's guitar got annoying... Also didn't like Bono's singing on that song... too much cracking and it sounded awkward...

Last edited:
I think that it could have a lot of potential live. Standalone I find it above average but a few tweaks could really make it great.

It's one of those songs that whenever I hear the beginning of it I just really feel at peace for some reason. When the song first came out I was in love with it. Although my love for it has died down a bit, it's still a great song and I agree that it was overlooked. That's usually what happens when bands put a new song on a best of album.

Darn! I keep seeing the title of this thread and thinking it says "the goddess of Electrical Storm" and I think, "wow! What a cool thread!"

it never became a bigger hit because they released the orbit mix to the radio! They should have stuck with the original edit, full on guitars and not that stupid dreamy twinkle beat. really good song which could have become a classic, needed a couple of small fix-ups. The second verse and chorus is incredible. Very good song which would be great performed live.

i liked the band mix better, it probably would have done better on radio, but the orbit mix fit in very well with the video, so both versions were good but i agree, the band mix also shouldn't have been the b-side because it was the band's actual work as opposed to someone else's interpretation

starsgoblue said:
I would very much enjoy ES and/or Sweetest Thing performed live.

U2 played "The Sweetest Thing" on their last tour - I know because I saw it! Bono sits at the piano playing. It's very cute and a great little song.

I thoroughly enjoyed "Electrical Storm". Everyone makes such a fuss about the "heavy as a truck" line as if it's the worst song-writing ever. C'mon - "Ultraviolet" has Bono singing "baby baby baby" about 1000x. This makes the "truck" line sound like Shakespeare! :wink: Besides, one token line shouldn't dismiss the brilliance of the song - and other outstanding lyrics, such as "I think of you all of the time... I know it's not enough" (some powerful stuff). I also feel the song wasn't paid enough attention, but hopefully it will receive it on the next tour.

"I think of you all of the time... I know it's not enough"
a favourite line for me that holds much truth , and I do like this song I do like the sort of Cohen type songwriting on here
very nice.. and overall this song just really I think deserves more credit..I'd love it live absolutley

bcrt2000 said:
i loved the heavy as a truck line :)

I LOVE THOSE LYRICS TOO, I also love the willima orbit mix, and just as much as the band mix, and I think bono's voice sounds really good!

Man, when I started this thread I expected to get the crap beat out of me... I never realized there was such love for this song! :wink:

I reckon they will play it live: all their songs not from albums that were singles were always played on the next tour.

HMTMKMKM - PopMart (pretty cool too)
Sweetest Things - Elevation
Electrical Storm - (whatever) 05

The William Orbit mix is probably one of my top 10 U2 songs ever.
I liked the Radio One version but I felt the band version was a bit 'so what?'. In the UK the band version was the one always playing on the radio and the orbit mix was only featured on the video. I personally felt the Orbit mix being played on the radio would have made it a bigger hit. Of course the single was rush released out after the premature radio play and this probably affected it to some degree, I know in the UK it came out against a lot of big singles, two weeks before it was planned to. For me the Orbit mix was so unique sounding and the first couple of minutes especially make it a perfect song to listen to on a dark summers night. chilling out with a cool alcholic beverage. Oh happy memories...

Back
Top Bottom