The goodness of Electrical Storm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i personally think this would make a beautiful accoustic song, with just bono and Edge playing together. Bono's vocals in the chorus would have to be a little softer, but it would just sound so sweet and warm. Forinstance, they would have to lose to "Hey, heyyy..." part, or at least Bono couldn't belt it out the way he does in the recording. Maybe he could jsut say them like, "hey, hey, hey" sorta like a "Stallite of love" deal. what do ya think?

You're in my mind, all of the time,
I know thats not enough.
If the sky can crack, there must be some way back,
to love and only love."

What an f%#^ing great chorus! How was this not a smash radio hit?? Still disturbs me.

RademR said:
You're in my mind, all of the time,
I know thats not enough.
If the sky can crack, there must be some way back,
to love and only love."

What an f%#^ing great chorus! How was this not a smash radio hit?? Still disturbs me.

Thats so true!!! I adore the chorus of this song :heart:

I adore Electrical Storm. I personally think it is better and more emotive than Beautiful Day.

I honestly do think it is one of U2's best songs.

And I personally think William Orbit's mix and production is quite simply gorgeous and Bono's vocals are incredible.

The chorus lyrics are incredibly powerful and I love the bit at the start: "On rainy days we go swimming out, on rainy days swimming in the sound." The atmospherics are incredible and I feel so moved especially on the word "sound."

As you can probably tell I am a big fan of Electrical Storm!

TheDaddy said:

The chorus lyrics are incredibly powerful and I love the bit at the start: "On rainy days we go swimming out, on rainy days swimming in the sound." The atmospherics are incredible and I feel so moved especially on the word "sound."

Agreed! I LOVE those lyrics... I've used "inthesound" as my alias on many a website :yes: I also love "you kept awake dreaming someone else's dream." Electrical Storm has some of U2's best lyrics, imo...though I have to say I do also wince at the line "heavy as a truck." It's a fine analogy, just for some reason I don't like it... I dunno...I'm weird.

I really like both the William Orbit and Ulrick mixes... the Ulrick has more a of a raw cool sound, but the William Orbit has more of an atmospheric bulidup... just depends on what mood you're in I guess. I'd love to hear the song live as well. It could work great as a big powerful electrified song (hence the title Electrical Storm? :p) or an intimate b-stage acoustic.

people hating "heavy as a truck" is mystifying me.. i guess i wasn't on the site when it came out, but i loved that line

I admit to having such mixed feelings about Electrical Storm...

I've only heard the William Orbit mix of it for what that's worth.

I agree the chorus is gorgeous and I like the emotional skyscape and all, and the music is lovely...and I agree that there are some great lyrics in it (like the "on rainy days we go swimming out" bit)..

But I sooo dislike the 'heavy as a truck' thing that it almost makes the whole deal too eye-rolly for me to love it like I could elsewise.
For me, it somehow highlights a saccharin-y quality to the thing and almost does it in.

When I was first listening to it, I didn't hear the "heavy as a truck" line well and thought it was "the air is heavy, heavy as a XXX (something), we need the rain, to wash away our bad *love*". And I liked that much better than 'truck' and 'luck', because what the fuck does it mean to be heavy as a truck really and though I can bring myself to see how these people had 'bad luck' that makes it seem like they're at odds over a missed plane or something, which happens but doesn't quite inspire the sentiment "there must be some way back" to love.
Still, I can live with the 'luck' and have it work but *not* the truck...

I do still like the song, but somehow it makes me feel sticky sometimes and I need to listen to Stay as an antidote.

I love it that there's a place in the world I can get this stuff off my chest, thanks!!

cheers!

Last edited:
air is heavy, heavy as a truck is just portraying the feeling of the weight of the world or the weight of the situation on you. if you're going to criticize art, you have to think out of the box. :)

I *get* that 'heavy as a truck' is a metaphor (what, did you think I thought he meant the air is really 'heavy'?!) for something like "the seriousness of the situation"/"the weight of the world"...but
I don't like the metaphor is all.
It's not " out of the box" to me, it feels to me right-out-of-the-cereal-box...
So, on this one anyway, for the same reasons I love so many of U2's lyrics, even others in Electrical Storm--that they're fresh and subtlely evocative--I dislike this one--feels stale and forced.

but, vive la difference!

cheers!

I love Electrical Storm. With Bono's patient lyrics, Edge's awesome guitar, Adam's cool bass and Larry and those drums, not to mention Larry in that video :drool: It's an all around great song.

You know, I don't mean to obsess but
this thread inspired me to listen 12 more times (off the best of cd) and I really
really do love so much of the song that I realize
the "heavy as a truck" refrain, being the final one after
all that goodness, makes me extra upset somehow.

But it's a stunning moving song that I've (too often) happily made
a personal soundtrack while doing the dishes after a no-fuck-you! kinda fight ( do you guys know Paula Cole's "throwing stones" track off "this fire"?) with my love...
So, I guess Electrical Storm as it gorgeously conveys reconciliation requires that I too forgive, for that lyrical let-down..
I can trick myself into thinking its part of the song's trip!

cheers...

I really like ES, though I prefer the "b-sides" version. Hope they play it on the next tour. I think the transition between Beautiful Day and Electrical Storm would work nicely.

One of my favorite songs of all time, and I also think this is one of U2's best songs. (Also one of my favorite videos) There's nothing wrong with the William Orbit mix , I think it fits the mood of the song better. :shrug: I actually prefer it, didn't know most people like the other ones better.

I will faint if this is played on the next tour. oh please please.

I really like 'Electrical Storm' and hated losing it to the best of collection. That being said, I dont think it would make a good fit on this LP. So, since we dont like to put crap out, I think it worked out quite well. It WILL be played live, at least early in this tour.

The Edge said:
I really like 'Electrical Storm' and hated losing it to the best of collection. That being said, I dont think it would make a good fit on this LP. So, since we dont like to put crap out, I think it worked out quite well. It WILL be played live, at least early in this tour.

Question: But why did you put the William Orbit Mix on the first cd instead of your own mix (wich is much better)?

The Edge said:

YES!!! I want to hear this live! You are going to rock out on this one right? Big guitar at the end! :yes:

TheBrazilianFly said:

Question: But why did you put the William Orbit Mix on the first cd instead of your own mix wich is much better?

I agree on that. But, as you know, every table has four legs:up:

By the way, would Bono play guitar on this song live to provide you a rhythm guitar while you do your solo at the end? That big guitar wave at the end while you’re playing the solo feels great.

TheBrazilianFly said:
By the way, would Bono play guitar on this song live to provide you a rhythm guitar while you do your solo at the end? That big guitar wave at the end while you’re playing the solo feels great.

Yes, I would guess it will give him a chance to 'stand still'

On the B stage maybe you guys should do more rare songs like you did with Stay and the acoustic version of In God's Country (wich by the way sounded as good as the album version and that harmonica Bono added in one show added A LOT to the song, I was impressed)! :up:

Back
Top Bottom