The Fly singer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whateverman42

Babyface
My friend and I have a heated bet on who is singing these lyrics in The Fly: 'but love, shines like a burning star, falling from the sky', over top of Bono's low 'a man will beg, a man will crawl, on the sheer face of love...'. He's convinced Edge is singing, because he sings that part on tour and that "U2 would never record a song they couldn't play live". I think it has to be Bono, because the voice is too strong and a bit nasal, and sinply doesn't sound like the Edge. I can't find information on this anywhere, so does anyone know or care to offer their opinion?

I think that's Edge, too. It doesn't sound like any other falsetto Bono's done on the albums.

Definetly Bono on the studio version!!!!
For more proof check out the Lounge Mix , there you can hear it better.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

In the studio, it's absolutely Bono. It sounds like Bono, Bono's said it's Bono, the "Fat Lady" voice is a Bono voice, etc.

Live, it's always been The Edge.

When I was in the Berlin studios with the band, they originally had me singing the falsetto. I ran through the take about 6 or 7 times, and Danny Lanois kept telling me "Go for it....go higher....higher"

On the 8th take, I nailed it.

Adam went out and bought a carton of Marlboros and a case of Champagne...the band was so excited and so relieved to have finally "finished" The Fly. As we were listening back in the studio to what I thought was going to be the final cut of the song, and in the middle of our third bottle of the bubbly, I leaned over to Bono and whispered in his ear "You know what B, this sounds a lot like 4 men cutting down the Joshua Tree." Bono smiled, looked at the ceiling, got up, and said "Fuck it."

He had Lanois erase my recorded takes of the Fly falsetto and he got behind the microphone and, in one take, flawlessly performed the falsetto part that now exists on the studio album Achtung Baby.

Suffice to say, I was bummed.

But I've kept that bottle of champagne after all these years as a token of what could have been.

oh come on guys! why give the thread starter such false information???

everybody KNOWS its axle rose singing that part :wink:

quadcaster said:
oh come on guys! why give the thread starter such false information???

everybody KNOWS its axle rose singing that part :wink:

I always thought it was Johnny Cash:wink:

Cheers ,

Mauwer

He still had it as of Vertigo tour :wink:

larryhappy.jpg

on a more serious end to this topic, i was re-reading U2 by U2 last night and bono clearly says something to the effect of: that high part during the chorus, i sang that in my fat lady voice.

so that settles it, its defintly bono (not that most of us had any doubt anyway, but that'll shut up the doubters :D )

Back
Top Bottom