The First Time Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshua87

Acrobat
After first listen to Zooropa I think I still didnt know which song this was, probably b/c i thought it was too quiet. Many years later, however, ive come to the realization of its beauty. I love the lyrics, piano, etc. Its not a famous ballad, its not a sweet rocker, not epic, not innovative, not insanely introspective...but for what it is, its just perfect.

:heart:

Discuss.

NOW!! :wink:

It's a beautiful song. The end especially is fantastic, when the piano comes in. I love the lyrics.

"And I threw away the key... "

AtomicBono said:
It's a beautiful song. The end especially is fantastic, when the piano comes in. I love the lyrics.

"And I threw away the key... "

What she said... ditto! :wink:

i really like this song too. i love bono's voice here...he sounds so melancholy... :drool:

of course everything on zooropa is fantastic. do we even have to say it? it's a given. :wink:

I have always loved 'The First Time' lots of Eno on that one.
It is used to great effect in the film "million dollar hotel" and there is also a beautiful Daniel Lanois acoustic intsrumental version on the soundtrack.:up:

Fantastic tune on a fantastic record.

No surprise here, but again Zooty and I agree.

I didn't get this song at first, either. After the trippy duo of Daddy's Gonna Pay and Some Days, this song came out of nowhere, sounding too normal! It took a while before I could really appreciate it. Now like everything else on Zooropa, I think it's brilliant. I love how the song builds to that beautiful piano ending. :up:

The end three: First Time, Dirty Day, The Wanderer is my favourite section of Zooropa. I fast forward to this all the time. Just superb. :drool:

It would be a great song to many bands but I think that it's below U2 standards. It's a bit boring until the "and I threw away the key" although it's ok because I never skip this song when listening to Zooropa.

Awesome song. One of my favourites off zooropa and, although not 'single-material', im glad it was on the best of, as it was one of their best 90's songs. -Thats not an excuse for them missing Lemon and Last Night of Earth off tho :shame:

Exit thru Wire said:
Awesome song. One of my favourites off zooropa and, although not 'single-material', im glad it was on the best of, as it was one of their best 90's songs. -Thats not an excuse for them missing Lemon and Last Night of Earth off tho :shame:

What about the Fly?? (Atleast for the U.S.) Anyway, im glad to see im not the only one who really likes this song. I was worried there for a second :ohmy:

XHendrix24 said:

You don't like Babyface?

Eh, I guess you just don't 'get it' yet. Don't worry, it'll click with you some day. :wink:

I get the song. I just don't like the execution and find it a tad boring.

Beautiful song. The lyrics are amazing, I particularly like the second verse.

I have a brother
When I'm a brother in need
I spend my whole time running
He spends his running after me
I feel myself going down
I just call
And he comes around
And for the first time
I feel loved

VertigoGal said:
Beautiful song. The lyrics are amazing, I particularly like the second verse.

I have a brother
When I'm a brother in need
I spend my whole time running
He spends his running after me
I feel myself going down
I just call
And he comes around
And for the first time
I feel loved

that verse is amazing :drool: I love Bono's confessional lyrics. And I love U2's Velvet Underground sounding ballads, like The First Time.

Babyface is a fine song. Not one of U2's best but I enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom