The first HTDAAB thread in EYKIW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote Ya Jerks!!

• Vertigo

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • Miracle Drug

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • Sometimes...

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • Love and Peace...

Votes: 16 14.7%
  • COBL

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • ABOY

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • A Man and a Woman

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Crumbs

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • One Step Closer

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • OOTS

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • Yahweh

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Fast Cars

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
LAPOE > COBL

Baby don't fight
We can talk this thing through
Between me and you
I'll call or you'll phone
The TV's still on
But the sound is turned down
And the troops on the ground
About to dig in
I wonder where is the love
Where is the love
Love and peace

:rockon:

When I first heard the album, what caught me right away was Vertigo (obviously due to massive airplay), Miracle Drug and All Because Of You (some of you hate it, don't know why, but everyone is entitled to their opinion). And LaPoE, SYCMIOYO, COBL,... But I can't divulge my selection... But it was almost Miracle Drug. And live, some of the songs came off better - like Yahweh. I couldn't stop singing for days after the show. A good solid album IMO :up:

namkcuR said:

It continues to amaze me how someone who appreciates the subtleness and ambiance of a song like Promenade can similtaniously harp on a chorus-heavy, hook-laiden, in-your-face song like COBL as being one of U2's best ever. As for it being better than anything U2 did in the 90s, that is just a preposterous statement.

Actually, "City" is from the 90's. It was just..."incubating" since the Pop sessions.

I don't get the hype surrounding COBL. Yes, it's a good song but it did nothing here in Canada as a single. As a matter of fact I think I've only seen the video in its entirty once. So what's the big deal then??? IMO I think it's the 4th or 5th best song on the album :huh:

thrillme said:

Actually, "City" is from the 90's. It was just..."incubating" since the Pop sessions.

So what? Acrobat had its genesis during R&H/Lovetown, that doesn't make it an 80s song. COBL is 00s. That's it.

Achtung Joshua! said:
I don't get the hype surrounding COBL. Yes, it's a good song but it did nothing here in Canada as a single. As a matter of fact I think I've only seen the video in its entirty once. So what's the big deal then??? IMO I think it's the 4th or 5th best song on the album :huh:

I've never seen it here once. I watched MMM and MM like a hawk when it was released, but nothing...

I love COBL though, it's my second favourite from the album.

Original of the Species, followed by Yahweh. These two tracks saved the entire record for me.

edit - looking at the results, it's good to see people have put 'One Step Closer' where it belongs...

Last edited:
namkcuR said:

So what? Acrobat had its genesis during R&H/Lovetown, that doesn't make it an 80s song. COBL is 00s. That's it.

For me it does. Hold me...kill me was from the Zooropa sessions, as was part of If God Will Send His Angels, Wake Up Deadman.

The conception of the song is what I'm basing it on, not when it finally was finished. City, as far as the bass, sounds like something that could've come from Pop, but not ATYCLB.

I have unfinished drawings and paintings, poems even, regardless of when I get around to finishing them, I was thinking, feeling certain things at that time. I may be at a different frame of mind if and when I finish them, but my original ideas are there too.

I won't change your mind, but U2 post 1997 isn't as bad as some make it out to be, some of it came from before 2000.

i remember in the old days when miracle drug was a safe bet for winning this kind of poll. interesting to see the sudden cobl adoration...

my vote goes to yahweh (followed closely by oots)

soooo tough because the songs are all so different.

I guess at the end of the day when all the dust settles, I wanna hear Vertigo

wait, SYCMIOYO, no, um, Vertigo

gareth brown said:
edit - looking at the results, it's good to see people have put 'One Step Closer' where it belongs...

:down:

Horribly under-rated track.

For me:
1. COBL
2. Crumbs
3. One Step Closer

Crumbs From Your Table

It was a tough choice, but I guess in the end this song has it all for me: melody, emotion, lyrics, one of the best U2 chorus ever... If ever I get to hear the first live version of it in Toronto I'll die.:drool:

But seriously I think about 6 or 7 songs on this album could be my favourite any time. It's really a strong album, I love it as much as I did a few months ago.

Back
Top Bottom