The End Of U2: How do you want them to do it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this two crap albums in a row has been thrown around since the promo for ATYCLB. So does Bono think POP was crap? (which is ridiculous if he does) and that ATYCLB is not. Now he's saying it again....so does this mean he thinks ATYCLB was crap and this album will reverse the trend???? I just think he's blowing more smoke up people's asses again and giving critics more shit to write about.

If this album is as good as we here it is, it will make the last three albums look like crap anyway, so who cares.

Bono tends to repeat things he says every so often (and we are aware of it right??) But I think more than the crap albums it would be more if all four want top continue this business!!.
Remember back in AB Larry and Adam were not sure that they wanted to continue with the business..Larry tends to whine a lot about things like touring and such...

Maybe I think this becasue I didn't think *like many out there* that ATYCLB was crap...It definatley put U2 back in the music map and that was recognized worldwide..The band were and are
proud of this release...Now POP grew on me and if the guys say that it could have been better and that they needed more time Only THEY know what possibilites POP had

I personally cannot live w/out Discotheque, Mofo "the remix"
Staring at the sun, Last night on Earth, Gone, Please....

I still have to read somewhere where Bono thinks they MADE A CRAP ALBUM...I only read/hear how they could have changed a few things but I havent heard any of the bandmembers admit to making crap....

In conclusion to my opinion..U2 have the last word on what the future of U2 is..Whether they think they are making crap albums *which has not been said by them* Or they make a desicion not to continue as a band....I think we should just enjoy them now while we have them!!!:wink:

Last edited:
AtomicBono said:

:rolleyes: you crazy ATYCLB bashers...

ATCYLB is not a crap album, at least not commercially. It put U2 back in business so to speak and U2 was happy with it as well... Pop on the other hand was a commercial failure and U2 felt it unfinished. Go figure, for me Pop is up there with Joshua Tree and rivals Achtung :shrug:

the way the band equates commercial success to be the determining factor in whether or not an album is good or not is EXACTLY what pisses me off.

I think that if they only made one album after this one it'd be ok. But they would have to say: this is our last album.

I don't want (presuming their next one is out in 2007) to wait for their new album in 2009 and suddenly hear they've stopped their career. That would be incredibly disappointing.

I want them to go out with a bang.

They can't keep playing forever.

I was thinking it would be really cool if they revisited pop and tried finishing it. wouldnt that be cool? since they rushed it so bad maybe once they have the time to do it, re release it with a few new tracks through itunes or something

thats really off topic.

sorry

u2bonogirl said:
I was thinking it would be really cool if they revisited pop and tried finishing it. wouldnt that be cool? since they rushed it so bad maybe once they have the time to do it, re release it with a few new tracks through itunes or something

thats really off topic.

sorry

I like POP for what it is. I never had the feeling at the time that it was unfinished, and it's safe to say that if it had sold as well commerically, the band probably wouldn't have said anything bad about it at all. I liked all of the experimentation of the band, which is also probably why I didn't like ATYCLB as much. I really wouldn't want to see the band re-do POP since what they did to the songs on the Best Of worsened them in my opinion.

Dont get me wrong, I love pop. I just know that they have said things about not finishing it because of rushing the tour. I thought that it would be cool to see where they went with it, going back and finishing things they wish they had....
I really like it when they experiment, which is why i hate it when people always tell me oh I didnt like their stuff in the 90s, but i like JT and ATYCLB
:madspit: have they HEARD the lyrics and the layers of sound?

Bono has already said he does not want to carry on doing this when he is in his 60's! But coming from Bono guess you got to take that comment with a grain of salt! lol

I know this might sound morbid...especially considering my age but since this thread topic is rather tragic to me then I'll say it: I know U2 will end someday, I just hope I'm not around when it does.

Life without U2 in it....:sigh:

u2bonogirl said:

thats really off topic.

sorry

They've already redone most of POP anyway. You can make a "custom" POP album that will sound leagues better than the original. Try this:

Discotheque (New Mix)
Do You Feel Loved
Mofo
If God Will Send His Angels (Single Version)
Staring At The Sun (New Mix)
Last Night On Earth (Single Version)
Gone (New Mix)
Miami
The Playboy Mansion (New Mix)
If You Wear That Velvet Dress (Jools Holland album version)
Please (Single Version)
Wake Up Dead Man

Unfortunately, the new mix of Playboy Mansion has not yet been released. It supposed to be a b-side for the single release of The Hands That Built America but it was never released after that song tanked and failed to win any Oscars.

So from the looks of it, only 4 POP songs remain as "virgins". Try listening to this version of POP with all the new and improved versions of the songs - it will be a much better listening experience and the one U2 have really intended had they finished the album.

So while POP may have been their first "crap album", it has already been saved by the new versions and mixes. So U2 now have a little more peace of mind and no longer consider it as bad as they originally thought. I admire U2 for their professionalism to admit mistake and correct it even if it's been a few years down the line already and their sins in POP have already been forgiven by the fans after the release of ATYCLB.

Cheers,

J

Even if they were to slowly go away now, look at all of the other bands and people that have "retired." I think Clapton has retired 3 or 4 times already.

Can you imagine if they all died in a place crash or something similarly catrostrophic? I know it's a horrible horrible thing to think about, but that would just add to the legend of the band.....

I'm not sure why I'm thinking about that, it's just that it would pain me so awfully to see them into their 60s and start to not be that great of a live act, or to slowly make worse and worse records etc. Better to go out in a blaze of tragic glory?

Thoughts?

"So while POP may have been their first "crap album", it has already been saved by the new versions and mixes. So U2 now have a little more peace of mind and no longer consider it as bad as they originally thought. I admire U2 for their professionalism to admit mistake and correct it even if it's been a few years down the line already and their sins in POP have already been forgiven by the fans after the release of ATYCLB."

I find pop brilliant in its unedited for BTW, I don't know why they're tampering with the songs - it's gotta be that "George Lucas syndrome". I mean what next, "Joshua Tree: The Remixes"?! Leave the music the way it was originally recorded - raw, maybe not fantastic, but it was GoOD.

Canadiens1160 said:
Can you imagine if they all died in a place crash or something similarly catrostrophic? I know it's a horrible horrible thing to think about, but that would just add to the legend of the band.....

I'm not sure why I'm thinking about that, it's just that it would pain me so awfully to see them into their 60s and start to not be that great of a live act, or to slowly make worse and worse records etc. Better to go out in a blaze of tragic glory?

Thoughts?

I seriously feel nauseous at the thought of what you said. They aren't these caricatures of entertainment. These are people with extraordinary careers....and with family and friends . They don't need to "add" anything to their careers...they've done plenty as it is.

Lennon's blaze of tragic glory was an abomination. Jim Morrison's blaze of tragic glory was saddening. Why on earth would you want more sadness and pain in a world that already has plenty?!

starsgoblue said:

I seriously feel nauseous at the thought of what you said. They aren't these caricatures of entertainment. These are people with extraordinary careers....and with family and friends . They don't need to "add" anything to their careers...they've done plenty as it is.

Lennon's blaze of tragic glory was an abomination. Jim Morrison's blaze of tragic glory was saddening. Why on earth would you want more sadness and pain in a world that already has plenty?!

I gotta agree with stars there. U2 will always be the greatest live band, U2 will never put out crappy records, because as soon as they do they'll quit. A blaze of tragic glory is not what U2 needs, nor is it what this world needs. We've had enough of rockstars dying - Lennon, Morrison, Hendrix, Cobain, ect. I don't want Bono or Edge added to that list... just thinking of that makes me cry :sad:

As for Pop - I think it's a near-perfect album... the Please single version was much better than the album version I'll agree, and I'm not huge on The Playboy Mansion, but other than that the album's great. I don't like the remixes to be honest - they took the spunk out of the songs. Especially Discotheque - no boom-chas?! It's an outrage!

btw stars - I know what you mean about not wanting to be around when U2 ends. I'm even younger than you and I can't fathom life without them... I'll need a support group, lol.

if they do finish, i would like to see bono become a lounge singer in Las Vegas, the Edge-the next brian eno, adam can become the president of the spoon collector assocation, and larry can ride off into the sunset with his harley.

If they do call it a day though i would like them to release a single that perhaps they have kept back for an occasion such as this and would be the ultimate statement that they are legends

it would be a cruel twist of fate:sad:
however i would pay to hear him sing velvet dress, two shots of happy, as well as hear a few reworkings of some songs for that environment (wasn't an orchestoral version of one also done?)

Canadiens1160 said:
"So while POP may have been their first "crap album", it has already been saved by the new versions and mixes. So U2 now have a little more peace of mind and no longer consider it as bad as they originally thought. I admire U2 for their professionalism to admit mistake and correct it even if it's been a few years down the line already and their sins in POP have already been forgiven by the fans after the release of ATYCLB."

I find pop brilliant in its unedited for BTW, I don't know why they're tampering with the songs - it's gotta be that "George Lucas syndrome". I mean what next, "Joshua Tree: The Remixes"?! Leave the music the way it was originally recorded - raw, maybe not fantastic, but it was GoOD.

But hun!...Who in the U2 camp has said that POP was a crap album...I mean I dont get it!..did I miss something...We as fans might consider POP an OK or Great album..The fact that I havent heard any of the members of U2 state that any of their albums are considered crap. They might have said things like we could have done this or if we could change that ect...But if I missed such a commect FROM THE BAND not from fans than I'll be convinced ..So as to my knowledge U2 has yet to make a crap album....
I hope that they continue until they tire of the buisness:wink:

I don't think they will ever offically retire. I think they'll continue to make music but there will just be longer periods of time in between. Perhaps, in the future, they will individually work on producing and playing with other musicans but I don't really see them calling it quits. I think it's in their blood and even if they want to stop eventually they will always want to go back.

u2bonogirl said:
of course adam will go live in the playboy mansion so we can go visit him there and larry is gonna go hide. we'll never see that man again.

i have no idea why, but this statement gave me the suspicion that larry is really one of those agents from the bourne identity. he'll get a message on his phone and leave during the concert to go assassinate someone. that'll be the end of U2; larry's really an assassin.

There are some parts in "Pop" that make me just go, "Gosh, this lyric would have sounded so much better this way! Ah man, the drum beat should have taken off right...there! Ooo...just a bit more of this there and that taken out here."

I don't think I have ever done that listening to any other album but "Pop".

Back
Top Bottom