The Edge's standing among guitarists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
popkidu2 said:

lol! thats one of the funniest things ive seen on this board in a long time.

hehehe

good analogy.

I think what makes Edge great, but also underrated is his flexibility in the way he approaches the guitar. His use of effects, minimalistic style, and incorporation of rhythm and lead at the same time all create a unique style. sure, you can play a lot of his stuff, but can you really *sound* like the Edge? its harder than it looks.

the only time i think he's put in a solo for the sake of a solo is in Walk On....I've never been a big fan of that solo.

and i think that he actually has the ability to play a lot more than he shows. it just doesn't really fit into the U2 sound. look at his BTBS solo live...i think that solo ranks up there in terms of guitarists.

Edge understands how to convey a mood, to fit his playing to Larry and Adam. He doesn't overpower them, or Bono's singing. Too many times guitarists try and create these overpowering licks and solo's that actually detract from the song. And he doesn't have the need to fill his ego by being the star of the show, which makes his playing all the more genuine.

A lot of U2 detractors slagg off the band for the apparent lack of talent, often pointing to the Edge as a prime example. I think too many times people look to how fast or technical a guitarist is as proof of how good he is. I see these bands with guitarists who play these abnoxious licks running their fingers up and down the fretboard holding their guitar like it's an extension of their d**k. Makes me wanna puke. Anyone who puts in a few hours of practice can learn to play scales as fast as they want. And as far as simplicity, look at the blues. You can't get more simplistic than that. It's such a basic structure and concept.

I really don't care if people don't think Edge is a great guitarist. I'll take him anyday over anyone else.

with the exception about the walk on solo (which i happen to like), i can't agree more. and i'm glad said this so i wouldn't be pressed to try...cos i tend to get very angry when people go around saying buckethead is a more talented guitarist. i play the guitar, but if rock guitar was only guys like yngie malsteem and slash and steve vai, i don't think i'd see anything appealing in playing that instrument...

but as far as reading music goes?? i remember reading this one interview where the edge was going on about not being able to read music, and then i forget exactly what he was describing, but it was far more musically technical than you'd expect from someone who just spent half a page trying to convince you that he was musically illiterate. and, although i might be a bit biased because i can't consistantly keep anything relating to music theory in my head, isn't it much more fun to sit down and try to learn your own way to play someone's song while listening to it on reocrding than reading it note for note out of a book and trying to imitate a guitarist's sound? if it's like that for playing other people's stuff, i would imagine it would be more interesting writing and arranging your own stuff without the aide of charts listing modes and chord progressions and stuff of that sort...

look, there are basically 3 types of musicians when it comes to reading music:
1. classically trained and /or "studio" musicians who can look at a piece of sheet music and play the shit out of it on first sight, but who basically don't know shit about improvising, chord structure, or how to write an original melody. these musicians are known as "legit" players
2. "unschooled" musicians...who are basically everyone from the guys playing in your local bar doing cover tunes for fun, right up to amazing artists like, for example, the edge, hendrix, mccartney,lennon, sinatra, james brown, etc.
3. musicians who can not only read music and are literate indifferent styles, but also creative and original. miles davis would be a good example...
I guess in the end there's something to be said for each.:yes:

BrownEyedBoy said:
downolad or listen to anything by STEVE VAI or JOE SATRIANI...then u cna compare guitar abilities.

u will not be dissapointed

not my thing. i've heard enough of their stuff, and it just doesn't appeal to me.

IWasBored said:

not my thing. i've heard enough of their stuff, and it just doesn't appeal to me.

exactly....technically great, but emotionally flat for me....but I guess it depends where your ears are at a certain time.
to let you know where I'm coming from, here are some of my favorite "guitar" moments:
1. edge's ending guitar part on "with or without you": simple as it gets, but with a great sound and played with great feel; perfect for the end of that song
2. hendrix: "voodoo chile" end solo: conjurs up the ghosts of indian spirits in the otherworld on your home stereo every time.
3. "the rain song": led zep; there is no recorded composition from vai or satriani combined that is as harmonically heavy as this tune.
bravo jimmy page; the pen is always mightier than the sword.

JimmyChicken said:
I think I once read Edge was the 13th greatest guitarist of all time. I did write this in another Edge thread, but nobody commented on it so I'm still not sure if that's accurate.

Does any body know for sure?

IN A RECENT POLL FROM A GUITAR MAGAZINE (I BELIEVE IT WAS INDEED GUITAR MAG ITSELF), THE EDGE RANKED #46 ALL TIME. IN ANOTHER POLL HE WAS #31.

I DON'T PLAY THE GUITAR, SO IT WOULD BE DIFFICULT FOR ME TO HAVE A PROFOUND STATEMENT ON THE EDGE OR ANY OTHER GUITARIST. I HAVE FRIENDS AND FAMILY WHO HAVE PLAYED THE GUITAR FOR YEARS AND THEY USUALLY COMMENT ON THE EDGE'S TALENTED WORK.

THE MYTH THAT EDGE CANT PLAY LONG SOLOS IS JUST THAT: A MYTH. EDGE ALWAYS STRIVED TO STAY AWAY FROM THE SOLO B/C IT IS CLICHED. SOLOS ARE GREAT, BUT EVERYONE SEEMS TO DO THEM. EDGE HAS, LIKE U2, CHANGED HIS SOUND YET REMAINED DISTINCTIVE FOR OVER 20 YEARS. THAT IS QUITE AN ACCOMPLISHMENT......

HE IS NOT ONE OF THE BEST GUITARISTS OF ALL-TIME FROM A TECHNICAL STANDPOINT. HOWEVER, HE IS AN EXCELLENT GUITARIST AND CERTAINLY THE MOST TECHNICALLY ADVANCED MUSICIAN IN U2

U2Kitten said:
The Edge standing among guitarists

guitarists.jpg

GREAT PICTURE!!! WHAT PUBLICATION OR WEBSITE DID YOU GET THIS FROM? I ASSUME IT IS FROM THE YARDBIRDS HOF INDUCTION CEREMONY BACK IN '92........

Last edited:
the Edge

Joe Perry liked what the Edge has brought ot guitar and he defintely has better chops than the Edge. I think Kirk Hammet respects the Edge but then he always seemed like a guitar geek. Hell, I remember reading recently that he's wanted to explore texture, tone, etc. in his playing moreso than the speed part.

I think the Edge has a pretty good standing just from that crowd alone. Not to mention that you have a whole sound (minimalist delay/ reverb based playing) that is associated with you.

Its funny, there is a philosophy of guitar that stresses developing your chops and being able to be technically proficent thus you get the Bucketheads, Malmsteens, etc. On the other hand you have another philosophy of guitar that stresses feeling in playing and less about technical proficiency. I think Adrian Belew, the Edge, and several blues players fall into that category. Guys on the side of Malmsteen or other shredders seem to, on the whole, care less for the Edge while the other side is pretty apathetic to what a guy like Malmsteen contributes.

The Edge seems to represent that extreme side which is the anti-shred. His philosophy on guitar would drive many serious shredders bonkers. I don't think the Edge believes in practice and he defintely doesn't seem to care to develop his hands or do some "guitar gymnastics." Its a shame IMO b/c there is merit to being technically proficent. I read an interview with the Edge and its quite a good read. Hopefully I can transcribe it some day and post it. Its an interesting read and shares a little about his philosophy on guitar.

I like the Edge alot and he's the one that made me want to learn how to play guitar. He's very influential but he doesn't have chops. Heck, Buckethead is considered even more technically proficent then Slash (a whole lot more). The Edge will never equal Buckethead in terms of technique (too old and to set in his ways) but what the Edge does in terms of effects, song writing, and tone puts him up there with any shredder.

Back
Top Bottom