The Edge, Sian, and Leukemia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ringfinger

Babyface
By now, many of you know of the reason for the delay. As a parent of a child with leukemia, I know what The Edge is going through.

My wife and I are sending a letter of comfort and advice that maybe Edge could get some insite from. We are sharing our experiences with him and speaking of how we were able to get through this ordeal, much due to U2 music believe it or not.

Anyhow, what is the best address to write to? I just want to make sure someone gets the letter so that Edge may possibly hear of it or maybe even read it.

Can anyone help?

It is still very much a RUMOR that this is the "family illness" that has been leaked to the press. Just today I saw a news article stating that it was Edge's mum, not his daughter.

My advice to you, even though you are well-intentioned, is that you send good vibes and prayers to him, and not a letter based on a very personal rumor.

HelloAngel said:
Just today I saw a news article stating that it was Edge's mum, not his daughter.

Well, that's an interesting develpment. What news article says it his mother?

Edited to say: I found the article.

Last edited:
Well, that is news. I will of course wait until this is all verified. However, can anyone provide an address?

HelloAngel said:
It is still very much a RUMOR that this is the "family illness" that has been leaked to the press. Just today I saw a news article stating that it was Edge's mum, not his daughter.

My advice to you, even though you are well-intentioned, is that you send good vibes and prayers to him, and not a letter based on a very personal rumor.
What gives? Every time someone brings this up, you want to shut down any and all speculation.

Ringfinger said:
By now, many of you know of the reason for the delay. As a parent of a child with leukemia, I know what The Edge is going through.

My wife and I are sending a letter of comfort and advice that maybe Edge could get some insite from. We are sharing our experiences with him and speaking of how we were able to get through this ordeal, much due to U2 music believe it or not.

Anyhow, what is the best address to write to? I just want to make sure someone gets the letter so that Edge may possibly hear of it or maybe even read it.

Can anyone help?

Why do you presume that many of us know 'your' so called reason for the delay? Where have you heard this information?

Ive got news for you folks....plenty of rumours are posted here and I think it is more then just a rumour since many major Irish publications have been stating it is at least an illness whether it is cancer or not.

Either that or you can choose to listen to the blatent lies of Paul Maguiness for the delay. It would have been best if he just said nothing in response to the question but rather he had to lie very sad.

That paper is a tabloid, but they printed the details over a week ago now, and have not been asked to print a correction/retraction. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want any publication printing a story like that about my daughter if there was no truth to it. I'd have my lawyers on them in a second.
Of course, we all hope it's not true, but the only way we will know for sure is if PM makes a brief but specific statement. If they had done this earlier, the rumours and speculation wouldn't be flying around wildly. People would respect their privacy.

martha said:
Because it's a RUMOR!

Stop looking for conspiracies where there aren't any.
and it's different from the thousands of other rumours regarding U2 why?

Who says I'm looking for a conspiracy? For the record, I wasn't... but the plethora of "officials" streaming in here makes me wonder now.....

Well, I think the only point people are trying to send across is, how bad would you feel if you sent Edge a letter/card whatever saying "I hope [insert name here] gets well soon and recovers from this illness blah blah" only to find out that this person was never sick to begin with

:shrug:

Don't know... I am not ssuperstitious, I am not religious, but still wouldnt want to mess with sending "bad vibes" like that someone's way even if meant in the most harmless and well meaning of ways...

Just my take on why people are being cautious, that is all :wink:

Last edited:
I hope that this illness rumor isn't true!!!!
I hope that the reason of postponing the tour lies in the fact that they wanted more shows booked!!!!
If illness thing is true(please not) then best wishes from me and i hope all other u2 fans throughout the entire universe!!!!

i think we should all let this lie, if it is true and i really hope it isnt, then all my hopes and prayes go to the edge, but at the minute this is still just a rumour, so out of repsect for edge lets just leave it at that, i wouldnt want to be reading a board with rumours about my daughter on it, and am not saying he does read the board but hey we dont know

hmm...that is very exaggerated and tabloid-like. Even if it is the case, considering his level of privacy with this I find it hard to believe that "celebrities and care agencies from around the world" or whatever it said were calling with well wishes. Still, I agree that if it weren't true he would've had that pulled the second he saw it. (And if not, he's a sick, sick man.)

Whatever, it's his business, and I don't cry myself to sleep over the troubles of someone I dont know...I just think it's very interesting that there hasn't been a brief public statement made just to get rid of all these stupid rumors...:eyebrow:

It's not that easy to get false stories "pulled." I'm sure you've seen the shit American tabloids publish. Celebrites wish they could "pull" that stuff from those rags all the time.

I too wish there would be some kind of band statement. Any kind.

martha said:
It's not that easy to get false stories "pulled." I'm sure you've seen the shit American tabloids publish. Celebrites wish they could "pull" that stuff from those rags all the time.

I too wish there would be some kind of band statement. Any kind.

True...still you'd think they'd make *some* sort of statement about it. I think Paul M is playing with us, and I don't like it!:mad:

:huh:

biff said:
That paper is a tabloid, but they printed the details over a week ago now, and have not been asked to print a correction/retraction. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want any publication printing a story like that about my daughter if there was no truth to it. I'd have my lawyers on them in a second.

Seems like the lawyers are on it...

http://new.pressgazette.co.uk/?t=article&l=paper_in_legal_clash

Shit. That's not exactly the kind of lawyer action I was hoping for. All the lawyers are doing, it seems, are preventing the naming of names and the like. It's not any kind of denial. I was hoping that the lawyers would ask the papers to stop because the story wasn't true, not because it was.

I'm with you Martha, didn't seem like a denial, but that the paper is in trouble for printing details.

I still think though that if it were true, there would be no mention of a tour on U2.com until they decide to go or not.

Yes nothing has been confirmed these are all just Rumors, and i agree why would U2 still go with the Tour if someone in there family had cancer? i think they would just cancel the whole thing until further notice...but thats me.
Anyways this is all pure speculation we may know the truth and yet we may never, but really its none of our buisness...its a private matter between U2 Edge and his family, i think we should just let them be for now.

Why would they tour:

- To please fans that have been there and think all their records have something to offer
- To please whiney fans like the ones on this site
- Lots of money to be made into the hundreds of millions
- To sell their music

The story posted today on the main page confirms to me that the reason for this delay is a family illness not routing problems because as I have stated before those buildings were booked 4 and 5 months ago.

Whatever it is I wish the best for Edge.

angel_28 said:
Yes nothing has been confirmed these are all just Rumors, and i agree why would U2 still go with the Tour if someone in there family had cancer? i think they would just cancel the whole thing until further notice...but thats me.

They toured in 2001 while Bono's father Bob Hewson was dying of cancer :( Bono often flew to his bedside at night after a show when he had time. Of course this is nothing to do with the current situation whatever that may be, just stating, it did happen.

Back
Top Bottom