The Edge, Sian, and Leukemia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't like the lawyer article either!!! They are just trying to hide the name, not the story. It makes me think about the worse case senario..... no tour in 2005. If I were Edge, I wouldn't tour even for 20 million $.....

But once again, everything is just RUMORS and we continue to talk about that everyday!!!!:eyebrow:

We should stop that! We are all getting nuts...(at least me):banghead:

WE WANT SOME REAL NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay people, just calm down a little bit. If I were Edge (man, that'd be sweet) and somebody printed that shit about my family, I'd sue as well. We don't know who is sick, how sick they are, or if they are sick at all. The tour is still going to happen, so I'm guessing that the illness is either not true, or if so it was able to be treated, and everything is going to be okay.

Then again, it might just be the "routing". A thought I had today is that they underestimated the success of HTDAAB, and they now feel they might need to add some stadium shows in late summer/fall. So if you're playing a few shows at Soldier Field in Chicago in September, then playing 4 arena shows in the spring might be saturating it. An arena show or 2 in the spring, and then a few stadium shows in the fall is a good way to go about that. Maybe they had to reduce the amount of arenas, so as to raise the demand for a stadium tour in the fall. That might be the reason for the "routing" decisions.

yeah, Acrobat, but if no one's sick at all, then they should've released a statement denying it. Sorry, but that would be using publicity and sympathy for the purpose of making more money. They may be businessmen, but I have a hard time believing edge is so cold-hearted he'd let a rumor like that run wild about his own daughter, just for monetary gain. That's sick.

I agree with everything else you said tho.:wink:

I think the cause of the delay is both the family illness AND the routing issues, but I believe these routing issues are a direct result of the illness in Edge's family. There's every indication that the tour is now going to start in the Southwest, meaning that the tour has been re-routed to go from west to east, instead of the reverse.

It's a fact that Edge has a home in Malibu. I believe the re-routing is based entirely on allowing Edge to stay with his family at his US home in Malibu, while rehearsing the tour as well as playing shows in the Western US. On past tours, U2 has already used LA as a hub city that they fly out from on the afternoon for shows in San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas and the Bay Area, while flying back to LA right after the show ends.

By allowing Edge this ability to stay at home and only fly to concerts, it allows the tour to continue, while Edge is able to spend the majority of his time with his family. My guess is that Edge feels that whatever this illness is, that it is treatable and not enough of a reason to cancel a tour.

While Edge and the members of U2 do not need to earn all this extra money from doing a tour, I'm sure they feel some type of commitment to the crew members that they have retained for the next year and to Universal, as well as the fans,to follow through with the tour.

I won't be at all surprised if when the dates are announced soon, that the majority, if not all of the first leg, is based in the western half of the US to accomodate Edge being able to stay at home on almost every night.

The Sneak said:

They toured in 2001 while Bono's father Bob Hewson was dying of cancer :( Bono often flew to his bedside at night after a show when he had time. Of course this is nothing to do with the current situation whatever that may be, just stating, it did happen.

But just because Bono did this, it shouldn't be assumed that Edge would do the same. I'm not saying that you're assuming such, but this has been one of the main arguements for the tour going on since this whole rumor started.

If someone is ill in Edge's family, which it's starting to really look like there is, who knows how he's going to handle it. Especially if it's who they're saying it is, he probably won't want to tour and travel back and forth to be with them.

And we also found out about Bono flying to Bob's beside after Bob had already passed. If someone is or has been ill, we don't know what Edge has been doing. And we probably never will as Edge was never as "out there" about his private life as Bono is.

Just wanted to clarify a couple points about the Press Gazette article (see Pop Artist's post for a link) that seem to have unnecessarily confused some posters.

--The Press Gazette is a trade journal for UK journalists, much like Publisher's Weekly is a trade journal for US publishers. It is not per se a newspaper, and is definitely not a tabloid.

--For what it's worth, the fact that U2's lawyers issued the injunction under the Data Protection Act signals that they don't intend to challenge the story's truthfulness. (They would have filed a defamation case for that.)

The DPA 2003 (dataprotection.ie) brings Irish privacy law into step with EU Human Rights law regarding the rights of individuals to control how their personal information is used. It grants extensive exemptions to journalists, and the (virtually identical) UK version has seen many celebrities (most famously Naomi Campbell) smash themselves on the rocks trying to use it to mount cases against the tabloids for printing exceedingly private information about them (e.g., pictures of her leaving a narcotics treatment center). The Irish version is (so far!) largely untested, but--perhaps due to Ireland's history of heavily favoring the plaintiff in defamation cases?--the Press Gazette seems to think things MIGHT work out differently for U2.

Of course, just because U2's lawyers aren't challenging the Sunday World's truthfulness doesn't in any way constitute an official public statement from U2 regarding Edge's family situation, the tour status or anything else.

...which means that we can assume that the story is on track as identifying the family member and disease. In which case I wish the Evans family all the best. And, to be honest, who gives a shit about a tour when something like this happens?! Put it off until his daughter is well. If people can't understand that then f*ck 'em. This is a seven-year-old girl here. The man's daughter. Nobody can expect him to even want to leave her side for a minute, much less do a freakin' world tour.

I do think that if Edge didn't want to tour they wouldn't. I'm sure they would feel bad about not doing it but they don't need to do it, I think they want to. I'm sure if someone in his family was very ill and he didn't want to leave them, he wouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom