The Edge Says Next Album Will Be a "Guitar" Album!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flying FuManchu

New Yorker
Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
In the most recent issue of Spin magazine, in which they name U2 the band of the year, the interview gives some interesting nuggets of info about the future U2 album such as song titles but the excitng part for me was when the Edge stated that the next album will be a guitar record!

Alan Light the interviewer then said something to degree of it always turns out that way or something. The Edge then stressed its the first time that he's ever made a blanket statement about making a guitar album.

This has got me so excited and has caught my imagination.

When U2 were working on ATYCLB, they talked about the ATYCLB sessions helping the Edge fall in love with the guitar again but the end result was nothing really ground breaking or different except for a few snippets in some tracks IMO. This album wasn't really a "guitar" album also IMO. I think they acknowledge that in the article (but this last part could be misremembered by me).

I wonder what the Edge will considers a "guitar album?" He talked about straying from the idea of re-inventing the premise of his playing which was to play differently from others. This is a very interesting turn of events IMO.

Any comments?

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

[This message has been edited by Flying FuManchu (edited 12-05-2001).]

I'd like to believe that but Bono said the same thing before POP came out and before ATYCLB. I'd like to believe them this time.

Maybe this time it's true, since they're so close to recording the album.

My fingers are crossed.

That sounds great to me if it turns out to be true.
smile.gif

I'd also like a guitar album JUST w/ Edge.
wink.gif

------------------
If you are really good friends with The Edge, you can just call him The~ Adam

The right side of my brain is kinda redundant~ Larry

Hey, if they come out with something as outrageous as POP again, I'd be pumped!
smile.gif
If it's ATYCLB part 2... nada. But I guess all we can do is wait and see, eh?

I will have to say that ATYCLB wasn't really a guitar album, but Pop had some amazing guitars... Discotheque, Staring at the Sun, Gone, Last Night on Earth, Please, I really like the guitars in Playboy Mansion and If God Will Send His Angels.

But nothing will ever be as great to listen to for Edge-guitar pleasure as ACHTUNG BABY!

Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon:
I will have to say that ATYCLB wasn't really a guitar album, but Pop had some amazing guitars... Discotheque, Staring at the Sun, Gone, Last Night on Earth, Please, I really like the guitars in Playboy Mansion and If God Will Send His Angels.

But nothing will ever be as great to listen to for Edge-guitar pleasure as ACHTUNG BABY!

I thought he meant more of an acoustic guitar? But if it ends being an Achtung Baby type of guitar, I sure as hell won't complaint about that.

finally , the edge had enough of this dull/very boring bono.pro stuff they played for 2001 , more rock stuff , more alternative , blow our minds , like you did in 91 , 93 and in 97 , you even can hold Bono ( too much pro-politic simple crap lyrics in ATYCLB ) for awhile and sing by yourself .

ATYCLB wasn't a guitar album, it was a song album...and all in all, I would say that's the best thing for an album to be.

But then again, listen to New York and WILATW. I think those songs have some of Edge's finest and most interesting work. Otherwise, no one in the band really stands out on ATYCLB. It's a seamless sound. No pyrotechnics, not even U2 pyrotechnics which tend to be low-key.

I, like everyone else, have no idea what their next album will be like. We all know that there are a lot of misleading rumours before every album. I just hope I like it.

------------------
One day we'd reach the great ocean
At the end of a pale afternoon
And we'd lay down our heads just like we were sleeping
And be towed by the drag of the moon

-Sting

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
No pyrotechnics, not even U2 pyrotechnics which tend to be low-key.

You might want to listen to this album again on a great sterao system - there is a ton of things going on the background (echoes, angel choirs, synths)

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Hey, if they come out with something as outrageous as POP again, I'd be pumped!
smile.gif
If it's ATYCLB part 2... nada. But I guess all we can do is wait and see, eh?

Ditto for me too!!

------------------
Love, slowly stripped away
Love has seen its better day...

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Uh, huh. Bands always have a "plan" before they make an album and it never works out the way they imagined that it would.
Remember Bono's claim that Pop would be a staightforward "guitar" album.
Or how about REM's claim that their followup to Out of Time would be a "very rocking and aggressive album?" Then came that hard rock apocalypse Automatic for the People featuring such scorcing and incendiary tracks as Everybody Hurts and Man on the Moon.

Whatever it is I'm sure it will be great.

MAP

Now you guys have gotten me all excited!!!

biggrin.gif

------------------
"When you've seen beyond yourself then you may see peace of mind is waiting there
And the time will come when you see we're all one
And life flows on within you and without you"

Peace George

I think the difference between past statements of making "guitar" albums (which I don't remember for Pop) is that the Edge said it, not Bono (who is known to exaggerate). Like I said, the Edge stressed it was the first time he ever made a statement like that.

ATYCLB to me was a fine record but not exactly a great guitar record b/c of the fact it was simpler AND somewhat a rehashing of past guitar work.

I thought about what the Edge said again and I have to re-read the article but I wonder if it means that he will play more r & b licks or conventional guitar playing.

smile.gif

Seriously, Pop to me was a great guitar record.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

Originally posted by Thermopylae:

You might want to listen to this album again on a great sterao system - there is a ton of things going on the background (echoes, angel choirs, synths)

I love the choirs/background vocals on Kite, I didn't notice them when I first listened to it... but Edge (and Lanois/Eno ???) does a great job.

I would be thrilled to hear a guitar album, but I'm not sure it'll happen. I also remember the comments made before ATYCLB that it was suppose to be a guitar album.

Back
Top Bottom